Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

1:5.5 Grumman A6 (A, E, EA6A, F, KA6D) Intruder

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

1:5.5 Grumman A6 (A, E, EA6A, F, KA6D) Intruder

Old 02-06-2021, 06:12 AM
Flite-Metal

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1:5.5 Grumman A6 (A, E, EA6A, F, KA6D) Intruder

Recommended Power: JetFan, Hacker 110 EDF/12s = 40# thrust for a 35# A6..

Born from the semi-scale movie A6's. New three piece molds. Far from the original "Flight Of The Intruder" film A6's.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 02-06-2021 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:38 AM
Flite-Metal

Any recommendation for placement of our pair of JetFan 110 Pro?

Old 02-19-2021, 12:40 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

i tend to lean towards the rearmost end of your location bar.
get all the disruption to the airflow at once, and be done with that part.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:27 PM
Flite-Metal

The position just ahead of the dog leg is what is proposed. I am waiting Rainer's reply.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 02-19-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:44 PM
Joseph Frost

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

It will make a very little difference where you place it, thrust-wise, from the pics above.
The more important thing is to place both power units in appropriate place to achieve the proper CG balance as you'll have to carry some serious battery load.
I would go as far back as the last pic. (R)
Old 02-19-2021, 02:17 PM
Flite-Metal

Default MAC6's

Originally Posted by Joseph Frost View Post
It will make a very little difference where you place it, thrust-wise, from the pics above. The more important thing is to place both power units
in appropriate place to achieve the proper CG balance as you'll have to carry some serious battery load. I would go as far back as the last pic. (R)
Joseph,

That is the game plan. Balancing is not an issue with a 120" fuselage. However there is a lot going on mechanical wise in that area. Wing tube with half former galley on either side , bulkhead, retract rails with half former support, and of course these ducts. JetFan 110mm....each on 12s.

Rainer's test with a inlet ring but no exhaust duct produced 21.4#. AUW is estimated to be 34#. We created a three piece fuse mold for transportability vs. the movie fuselage which was nearly three times heavier than our layup. It was powered with twin ByroJet recip with two baseball bat pipes...and a large screen covered hole in the bottom to enable its flight off the Washington coast cliffs.

.................................................. ...........

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 02-19-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:53 PM
Joseph Frost

Impressive looking model, couldn't these guys just catapult bungee launch it rather than chuking it off the cliff? Mate, I would expect the AUW lot more than 34#, by the time you'll finish it off, ready for its maiden. Looking forward to its premier flight.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:09 AM
Flite-Metal

Default 1:5.5 Grumman A6 Intruder

Originally Posted by Joseph Frost View Post
Impressive looking model, couldn't these guys just catapult bungee launch it rather than chuking it off the cliff? Mate, I would expect the AUW lot more than 34#, by the time you'll finish it off, ready for its maiden. Looking forward to its premier flight.
Joseph,

We expect to weight right at 34~35# due to the fact our fuselage is 1/3rd the weight of the movie model. All but two movie 6's had no gear and weighed 22# . Bungee launches failed to reach adequate altitude for filming. Powered soaring permitted filming look-over-down perspective.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:58 PM
Joseph Frost

Unfortunately from my experience all AUW predictions failed, the end result was always heavier than planed, only the time will tell. You got a huge job ahead, good luck.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:31 PM
Flite-Metal

Joseph,

Thanks...at this point there are few loose ends...well compared to a year ago. I am in that measure twenty times before second guessing what is about to be done. I have added leading edge slats, spoileron, and flaps to what was cosmetic representation of each. Up next is cutting the gear doors. Because only two of the movie 6's had landing gear...the other six A6 doors were air brushed... Guess which we have as a reference? 95% of the r/c film footage was flight with a 10 to 7 o'clock side perspective. Why they even considered gear is a mystery...the USN provided the USS Independence for two weeks of shooting onboard and air footage.

I have utilized multiple line drawings and the Trumpeter 1:32nd plastic model for a tie breaker when in doubt. The only real door issue is the multiple compound curves across straight cut lines and 16 inch long mains must remain parallel to centerline. In many ways the doors are more difficult than anything else. You don't get second chances cutting fiber glass. Made a paper template which is some help until laid across two compound curves Thanks to a pair of laser levels it won't be too bad.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 02-20-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:36 AM
Flite-Metal

Default Then There Were Gear Doors

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 04-10-2021 at 09:54 AM.