Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Gluing Mounting Tabs to the Side of a Carbon Fiber Shroud

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Gluing Mounting Tabs to the Side of a Carbon Fiber Shroud

Old 04-19-2021, 12:56 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Gluing Mounting Tabs to the Side of a Carbon Fiber Shroud

I just received a new fan unit for one of my electric jets. It has a carbon fiber shroud but the mounting flanges are not attached. This is a first for me so I have some questions for the brain trust!

What is the best practice for mounting these tabs? What is the best glue to use?
Old 04-24-2021, 12:56 PM
XFLY-ER
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test fit the fan unit in the plane and mark where the mounts need to be attached. Rough up where the tabs will go with sandpaper or a rotary tool. Use a good quality epoxy; Hysol or West System are good. Some like JB weld as it already has a strengthening filler. With the plain epoxies use an additive filler for strength. West System 404 or chopped fiberglass. If you can't find or don't have those additives you can cut fiberglass cloth with scissors into little bits.
You can tack the tabs in place with a few drops of CA glue and then add the epoxy. Let the epoxy cure, usually keep above 60 Deg F, and you are done.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:29 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks. I used 30 minute epoxy based on someone else's recommendation and that has worked exceptionally well. If I end up having trouble with the mounts over time I will certainly keep this advice in mind.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:22 AM
XFLY-ER
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gluing with epoxy

You can find the West System info/manual here: https://www.westsystem.com/instructi...product-guide/

Lots of excellent info about gluing things together and making/repairing things with fiberglass cloth and epoxy.