Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My Micro Review Of Multiplex Micro Jet

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

My Micro Review Of Multiplex Micro Jet

Old 06-10-2005, 05:06 AM
Flying Scotsman 70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Micro Review Of Multiplex Micro Jet

tried to fly mine two days a go and it dived into the ground like a *****[:@] but i going out today to have another go! If it flys im suire ill love it and ill get the MPX bungee launcher
Old 06-12-2005, 02:55 PM
smokey- joe

im on my third mj at the moment. i love this little model. very fast,stable,its roll rate is crazy its on its maxed hole on the servo arm an its closest on the controll horn. im using the the align 2800 kv brushless motor an esc with a 2200 10c 11.1 lipo. it lanches straight out of my hand..............
Old 06-16-2005, 04:59 AM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Wow ! Such different experiences with the Micro Nut!..I have two I fly ..one is with the stock motor but a 25 amp Castle ESC and a 1500 3c Lipo, great around the small park and such and one with a Multiplex 4804D Brushless , Eflite 40 amp ESC and a 3C2000 Lipo..me and two others in my area run the same setup and have been clocked at an average of 140mph straight on and really grooves well..I really think that is a bargain for the cost in these thing's..plus you can take out your inverted low pass mistakes on them! Here is pic of a servo actuated bungee launcher I made for them..I use the gear channel..flick the switch and away you go! It's not pretty but I made it to test it and it worked so good I said what the heck!
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23245.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	285775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51354.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	285776  
Old 06-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Flying Scotsman 70

I got a bungee bout a week ago and flew it today...yeah it actually flew, the bungee is amazing its so much fun i landed just so i could use it a gain. All you have to do is attach the bungee walk back a few meters and let go no effort needed and as a bonus you can hold it in your left hand and have your right hand on the tranny ready to control[8D][8D] what more can i say
Old 01-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Jemejordan

Purchased my MJ last week from Hobby people to compare to my F-27 Stryker

Test Flight log

Day: One

Hand launched it with the stock motor, esc, propeller and a 2 cell, 2100, 7.1 volt lipo, but couldn’t keep it in the air very long and flight characteristics were very unstable.
Tried to use a 3 cell 1800, 11.1-volt lipo but the stock esc would shut off at full throttle

Flight Test results: this bird it totally underpowered in stock condition.

Day two:

Hand launched it with a upgraded 25 amp esc the stock motor, propeller and 3 cell 1800, 11.1-volt lipo. Took off almost straight up but CG was to far back and it was totally unstable. Also because of its small size it’s very hard to see. It spun into the ground, and the speed controller shorted out at impact resulting in a smoldering crash site reminiscent of something you would have seen at Edwards back in the 1960s.

Flight Test results; this bird is very sensitive to CG placement and because of its small size it’s very hard to see

Day three:

Painted the vertical stabilizers bright yellow, Upgraded motor to brushless Tornado 400 F, Dymond 25 amp esc, Dymond 5x5 prop and locking spinner, 1800, 11.1, 3 cell lipo with CG centered just in front of wing bumps.

Flight Test results: Hand launched it with a experienced friend at the controlls, he trimmed it out and handed it over to me. a total screamer and fun as hell to fly. vertical and roll is insane.

Day four:

Had a friend launch it for me by hand, it dropped a bit then climbed straight up. I was practicing figure eights and trimming when I lost sight of its flight orientation and gave left when i should have given right. Went straight into the street at about 80 MPH, Then a bus almost ran it over. Battery, Receiver and front part of fuselage gone, ouch! This thing might be to small and quick for me. The Stryker is much easer for me to see.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:45 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Just a hint when setting up your Micro Jet..the bottom of the ELEVONS should be LEVEL with the TOP of the center section , that way it has a bit of reflex and is easier to take off and control.

Name:	Tr50242.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	391733  
Old 01-21-2006, 09:36 AM
tIANci

I am on No. 3 now, both No. 1 and No. 2 died due to "launch failures". I will be getting a bungee and I truly love this plane. She is so smoooooth in the air.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:16 PM
jonw_2004

I have a Mega 3 turn with TP2100. Local police have clocked it at 200MPH in a dive - WOW!!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:00 PM
tIANci

jon - heard about the Mega 3 turn ... 200 mph? Hmmmm ... that is heck of a fast ... how fast on level flight? What prop are you using? How do you launch yours? I am waiting to sort out my bungee before taking her out.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:42 PM
ray2006

Jon,

Whats a Mega 3 turn? Is it similar to a mega 1615-3? Man, these motors really push this little bird around!! Last time I dived it I nearly stacked it into the ground.
I also use TP2100 batteries. They're expensive aren't they - and so fragile in a crash - I'm thinking about making some kind of pouch to protect mine :-)
How do you launch yours - with that much power, do you hand launch it?

Old 02-11-2006, 12:37 AM
tIANci

Ray - yeah its the 16/15/3 ... I am also having launching problems too No. 2 died after a few flights, all due to lauch problems. I believe you can get plans on how to make a cradle bungee launcher in the net. Try this: I hope to make one soon as No. 3 is now ready.

http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=3995
Old 02-11-2006, 03:19 AM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

I just bought one of those today, I no longer have the time to expand upon what I started with my foamie lift body designs and opted to go with an extreemly easy to put together, no brainer jet kit. This was one of 2 they had at the local hobby store, the other one had brushless motors, but nothing else, just a chunk of foam and 2 motors, so what's the point, I'd just build from scratch if that were the case, wouldn't save me any time. I've read all posts you guys have put in here, glad it needs a little wind, it's always windy here and it never really seems to end, I have a 480 brushed motor, not sure if I should bother upgrading it to it, will try my first test flight stock regardless, at least going with a micro receiver may help a bit with the weight, but I gotta admit, this foam is just dense and heavy, absolutely not what I'm used to at all so will see if it helps cut through the wind better due to that.

Any advice on a very new RCer besides get someone to plug into your radio, there aren't any real clubs or people I know locally like that so I gotta do this myself.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:38 AM
tIANci

I hear a lot people in here who fly it stock and they launch it themselves. Mine with the brushless set up will not, I guess its a pusher so the extra thrust does not do much to get air over the wings till the plane starts to move. Hence with the brushed set up its lighter. I will say please dial in the UP elevons for lift off, about 3/16" if you can and when you launch it, ensure its into the wind and chuck it like a javelin at about 30* up. Then get ready to give the plane RIGHT aileron as it will roll LEFT.

You really need to toss the plane ok. You want to get some air over the wings. All the best!
Old 02-11-2006, 06:56 AM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

Thanks for the advice, I'm seriously thinking about just making a sling, similar to a control line airplane and just configuring a manual release once it gets up to speed. The "ONE" thing I have that's good at the park I fly, it has the upper 20% of it as a platou, so this really helps with tough launches so the jet can dip down below it's launch ground level and still recover, so hoping that makes up for this newbies learning curve. The slope does have it's downside since it's funneling the air creating some ruthless up/down/side/etc. winds, my thinking now is to just cut through it rather then being at it's mercy and that's why I'm focused upon jet based designs at this point.

Tried and failed within it today with zero wind, never have seen this before, here are mods in place for the next tests, all launches never fruited, it's just an absololute dog of a design out side of my mods...........

Old 04-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Freakazoid
My Feedback: (1)

Hi all,

I also got tempted by its sleek appearance, and bought one at a german RC fair for only 40 bucks. [8D] Ive already flown my old picojet for ages now, and I thought this little one would be a nice little brother. But frankly, im beginning to get a little scared of the darn thing.. [] Launch fails, Losing sight, awfully squirly when the CG isnt perfectly right, Ugly torgue rolling... *sigh*

My friends are pushing me to use a Typhoon 6-15 motor wich is 2150Kv and 125watts, rated for 12A max. Advertised as "For racers ranging 350~600grams (12~21oz.)". The prop will be a CAM 5x5, battery will be a 3s1p 1500mAh 20C lipo, and a 17A elemodels controller. Ive calculated the flight weight to be 380grams (13.5oz.) at max, so its gonna be a quite light bird, vertical climbs are to be expected.

Heres a video of a microjet thats powered quite similarly, but with a lighter battery: http://modellvideos.de/videos/mj.wmv
Prety funky, but Ive got the odd idea that this thing might be just tomuch speed for its size.
Is it still fun to fly when its basicly a bullet with winglets?

Heres how I think I'll paint it:

Name:	Kh17461.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	441824   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43521.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	441825  
Old 04-11-2006, 07:57 AM
tIANci

Freak - please get a bungee launcher, its so easy to make your own and with one you will never botch a launch ever again! I learnt afer killing 2 MJ. Its never too powerful or too fast, the plane is so easy to fly and landing is a breeze. You will love her, I love mine.

Your set up will not be very fast, its a nice set up and you need not worry about amp draw so much. Mine has a ZAGI TAZZ b/less motor which is a 400 sized 2,800 KV motor. I think it only clocks about 70 mph max. I think I was pulling about 25A+.

I am getting a new Feigao 3,600 KV motor and that will be much more fun.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Freakazoid

Well its classed as a racer motor for crates from 350 to 600 grams, so Im not really sure wether it ll be slow or fast. Afterall, my microjet will be at the low end of that weight spectrum. Im not aiming for more speed anyway, since this thing is ridicilously small, so you dont want it to be covering half a mile per second. Also, I find it kinda stupid to rig a plane so that it runs out of juice in 5 minutes. Whats the point in that, Im just getting warmed up in that time.

My friends say it ll be an easy start when using 50% throttle, so im gonna try that first. Dont think the bungee method is foolproof, too. Have a look at this: http://www.nongnu.org/paparazzi/video/bungee_crash.mpeg Doh! [X(] I might try it sometime later anyway, just for the fun of it.

I think all hand launch crashes are caused by the dreaded roll of death due to the high prop torgue and low wing resistance at such low starting speeds. I think a good remedy would be programming a start phase into your TX that will set your elevons both up about 2mm, and ontop of that, give the right one another 1mm up. This will give automatic up and slight counter acting torgue at the start, so you dont have to do so much manuall correcting.

EDIT:
Heres a classic one showing what happens on such a bad launch:
http://194.109.150.81/web/upload/Fre...d%20Launch.wmv
Old 04-11-2006, 03:12 PM
tIANci

Freak - the launch is not about the torque only, its about how hard its launched. I use more than 2 mm of elevator for launch, about 3 mm. That is one heck of a great bungee launch! Hahahahahahaahahaa ... Use a bungee and you will not regret it.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Freakazoid

Ive heard that with bungee the launches get twice as good, but it can go twice as wrong aswell.

You reccon I can use the same bungee on a 535gram picojet aswell as a 385gram microjet? I could get used to bungee with my old and phug ugly picojet that needs a gracefull way to go, so it wont be a loss if I mess up a couple launches. The pico has a nasty habit of dropping like a brick at launch (It actually drags its arse through the sand making a dustcloud before taking off, occasionally. )

Can I find some launch equipment specs someplace? What do you guys use for this?
Old 05-11-2006, 07:26 PM

Had BIG mistake with my MJ. Tried, and I say "TRIED" an E-Flite 4200 KV Inrunner motor. It came with a prop adapter, soooo..why not? Used an APC 4.5X4 Prop. I tried a 3S 2100 Mah 7.4 V Lipo. Not too bad, but I wanted more speed so, next step, a 2100 MAH 3S 11.1 V Lipo. I could tell before I launced it that it was going to scream. All this on an E-Flite 20A. ESC (Came out of my Funtana so figured what the heck. Hand launch was a breeze! This thing SCREAMED...for about 5 minutes. Then, everything went dead, motor, radio, whole schmeel. It went into a nice flat left turn, descended and landed itself. The shroud over the motor was warped and the motor was so hot that it'd burn your finger. Fried the ESC, needless to say. So my question is this. WHAT's a good direct drive inrunner style motor for this, using maybe a 25 to 40A ESC and a 3S 11.1V 2100 Mah Lipo???
Old 05-12-2006, 01:53 AM
Freakazoid

Im flying an HET-RC typhoon 6-15 in it. These are especially fit for these planes, and will run 10 minutes on a 1500 3s 10C pack. Unlimited verticals, and level flights of 105km\h.

Im having a bit of a problem with my MJ though.. Mine is VERY stubborn when it goes down wind. Rolls easily, but elevator gets almost numb.. You guys think its tomuch forward CG?
Old 05-12-2006, 05:00 AM
Espresso-Outfitters
Banned

To decipher what the above poster meant, it needs major power. plan upon spending an extra $100 min for that end and it will fly well.................. You all are losing us when you cannot post real, laymens terms words, those micro abbrieviations serve nobody but a very small nitch, spell it out, if typing is a hardship, take lessons, you are losing so many readers making this field into another AIM dialog going that direction.......

That soapbox statement said, what if I buld a jet, similar to that one out of "real" materials, not foam based as the orignial, and designed it to handle a direct nose in, into the ground and can keep on flying. Would you pay more for it, and how much.

I have the original multiplex jet collecting dust with it's stock set up stripped out in the rafters of my shop, it's packing material and bad memories of utter failure, 20 field days, only real flight I had, I had to add oversized canards..

Old 05-12-2006, 05:43 AM
Freakazoid

Errr, I guess you meant the post above mine?
Old 05-13-2006, 09:39 PM
tIANci

9757 - are you nuts? Hahahaha ... the motor you got is really fast for sure but then the prop might be too large, perhaps a 4.1x4.1 would have been better. Also you should be pulling about 30-35A WOT.

Freakazoid - my bungee launches are perfect each time.

I am no getting a new MJ, it will be No. 4. This time it will be done really right! I am getting a Feigao 3,600 KV motor. Should be really nice and fast to fly.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:13 AM
Freakazoid

Launches are easy when youve got massive power onboard. A firm toss sends it right onto its rails. Im gonna try my MJ with the weight about 1/8" further back next time, so it gets a little more responcive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.