Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

3D-Foamy F18 EDF Mini Fan 480 Project

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

3D-Foamy F18 EDF Mini Fan 480 Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:20 AM
PsYcHoTiC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D-Foamy F18 EDF Mini Fan 480 Project

You might want to try this link. It calculates the C/G.
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_calc.htm
Old 10-12-2007, 08:33 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the CG calculated at 3.875 back from the front edge (the flat portion) of the wing. The fuse bulkhead is at the same location. Here are a few more dimensions not on the plan also.
Aileron servo - .79 below the wing and 4.76 back from the same point as the CG. I mounted mine on the outside of the fuse for easy adjustment.
Elevator servo - 14.29 from the front of the wing to the front of the servo.
Elevator hingepoint - 16.83 from the front of the wing and .275 below the engine stick.

Nice tail markings [8D]
Old 10-12-2007, 09:56 AM
PilotSmith

Thanks guys for the CG info and calculator. Work I had for today was cancelled. I may try to maiden the foamy UAV F18 today...
Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 PM
PilotSmith

Rather than clutter here, I posted here info on the new foamy F18 maiden here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6483217
Old 01-28-2008, 05:59 PM
oct2633

ORIGINAL: PilotSmith

Three flights and 3 crashes. [] At least I'm being consistent. Flight #1 ESC fried using 4 cell LiPo - front end wasted. Flight #2 throttle glitching and I got nervous and brought her down messy and bumped a pole - minimal wing damage. Flight #3 today: Range check fine. Flying in the middle of a dry lake in the middle of a desert, in the middle of nowhere so there was no interference. Take off is a little hairy as I still have the controls a bit too sensitive. Was messing with the dual rate switches on take off to see which mode felt better - one not enough and the other too much. Few seconds later after turning around and on the way back for a straight pass she becomes demon possed and does a sharp dive and a flip up. I also hear the throttle change in pitch. I decided to cut back throttle as at that point she is doing her own thing. I walk out to the plane and it is glitching real bad. Motor is turning on and off despite throttle being at zero and servos jittering. Damage is moderate. Have crack in rear fuse, one broker vertcal stabilizer, and cracked up cockpit area.

I was also going to take out my F22 today that I just finished up. But when I plugged all the electronics in it was glitching a whole bunch, so I figured something was wrong with the receiver so I left it at home. Now what is interesting is that the FA18 after the crash had the same glitches going throught it (throttle going on and off, servos jittering) that the F22 had at home. So I figure my radio may be having some intermittent problems. When I got back I tried the radio with the F22 again and it didn't have a single glitch. So now I wonder if it is an intermittent problem, how the heck will they fix it if it is not acting up when it goes in for warranty work?!?[:@]

If you guys want to see crash #3, here is the link: www.smithland.com/FA18-3.wmv . My son did a little better job on the video this time. 5MB file. I'm going to take a break for a few weeks before I start any repairs. This is getting too frustrating right now.

It would be my suggestion to dial in some exponential on your low rates. This is helpful, particularly if a plane is very fast. It softens the controls and prevents "jittering" in flight. I have a Hobby Lobby Lynx that was a dog to fly until I put exponential on the low rates (50%). It then became as docile as a moo cow!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:27 AM
PilotSmith

I recently put a new RX in the F18 to use it with my DX7 radio. That radio in my helicopter has been excellent with ZERO glitches. Next flight hope to have it properly balanced and with no glitches during the flight. Will also have expo in there too. Don't think I had expo programmed in when I flew it with my Optic 6 radio. Learned to use expo flying my heli. It does make it much easier to keep things smooth!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 PM
lewyaka

did you build this model from plans, if so could you E-Mail them to me at [email protected] Iwould much appriciate it
thanks Lewis
Old 03-11-2008, 07:06 PM
PilotSmith

ORIGINAL: lewyaka

did you build this model from plans, if so could you E-Mail them to me at [email protected] Iwould much appriciate it
thanks Lewis
Follow this link to get the plans for free: http://3dfoamy.com/manuals.htm

Note that I did enlarge the plans to fit the fan unit. I don't have details any longer on how much I enlarged portions of the plans.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:15 PM
lewyaka

Thanks for the link I much appriciate it
lewis
Old 07-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Yakflyer
My Feedback: (2)

PilotSmith,
Been reading this forum.
I am looking for a set of plans for the same F-18 build.
Where can I find a copy of the plans?
Thanks
Old 07-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Yakflyer

I went to 3Dfoamy web site but it appears to be broken/down.
Tried emailing but emails are returned user unknown.
I would like to get a set of the F-15 plans via Adobe PDF. (if unvailable the F-18 would be fine too)
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Old 07-31-2009, 11:59 AM
PilotSmith

Looks like the links are messed up on their site. I checked my computer and could not find the plans. Give them a call or email at 3dFoamy to see if they can help you out.

I need to get mine in the air again. Been too busy to play with my toys for a while. She is still in 1 piece and I have a new 4 cell battery ready for it. I also put in a gyro to make the hand launch less hairy. Just need the time to take it out to the field now...
Old 07-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Yakflyer

Thanks.
Did try the email but they all kicked back, user unkown.
You put a gyro in yours?
What is your configuration with the gyro?
That sounds really interesting.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:08 PM
PilotSmith

I put in a gyro to control the ailerons so I don't have to worry so much about trying to keep it level on the hand launches in case a wing starts to dip. Curious myself how well that will work. Last time I flew my standard pusher F18 a gust of wind hit it from the side just as it was about to touch down. Flipped it over and cracked in half. That was another motivator to put in the gyro my EDF F18.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:47 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yak, send me a pm
Old 07-31-2009, 10:28 PM
PilotSmith

Hey Vicman! You still have a squadron of these F18's flying? I'm on vacation for 2 weeks now so hope to get mine in the air soon.