Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

"Kingcat foamie" motor overload?

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

"Kingcat foamie" motor overload?

Old 03-06-2005, 02:10 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Kingcat foamie" motor overload?

So, I had to make one of these here kingcats that are sweeping the nation, (or at least this forum ) I flew mine yesterday for the first time, and it was Awesome, with one exception... anywhere above 3/4 throttle, the speed control shuts off as if its going over its load. I am using a Park370-5400kv, firebird prop, CC25 and TP860. AUW is 9.5 oz. I have run this setup with the motor in a gearbox and no problem. I have read of other people using this basic setup (though most use the 4100) with no problems. is is because the 5400kv draws too much amp running direct drive? do I need a different prop? (where would I find a smaller one?)

Any input would be most appreciated I love this thing, want to see a full throttle pass
Old 03-06-2005, 02:44 PM
ZAGI-XS-=FatalFlyer=-

Default RE: "Kingcat foamie" motor overload?

I'm not sure what size the firebird prop is, but APC makes good props. check out www.hobbypeople.net or the APC website, I think its www.apcprop.com
Old 03-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Galloping Ghost
My Feedback: (12)

Sounds like a prop issue. I'm running an APC 7 X 5E on a twin stator CD Rom motor, pulling approx. 10-12 amps at full throttle. The plane is awesome! [X(]

The specs:

Wingspan-32"

Length-31"

AUW-10.6 oz. w/Thunder Power Gen 2 1320 3 cell

Prop-APC 7 X 5E

Motor-Double stator 9 turn (gobrushless parts)

Battery-Thunder Power Gen 2 1320 mah 3 cell

ESC-Eflite 20 amp

Servos-9 gram generic

I wanted something fast, and I'd say this plane is flying in the mid 50 mph range, if not faster. It covers ground in a hurry, and it is "on rails". It has no apparent bad habits and is a blast to fly, and the motor sounds fantastic on high speed passes!

I've been flying mainly on low rates, but the roll rate is excellent, and it holds it's line very well while rolling.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50102.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	238942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10754.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	238943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22474.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	238944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89933.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	238945  
Old 03-07-2005, 01:26 AM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

well, I tried again today with an apc 5.5 x 4.5, it only made things worse so I put the firebird prop back on and went for it, just kept off full throttle...... well, I guess the motor got very hot, it melted the hot glue holding it on and there was some black stuff dripping out of the bearing around the shaft that looked suspiciously like burned oil. also, the battery got Very warm. I have run this same setup with the motor in a gearbox and no problems.... could something have gone wrong with the motor?
any thoughts here? you guys who have these things