Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

alfa fan and hi maxx motor

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

alfa fan and hi maxx motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 12:13 AM
HORNET FLYER
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alfa fan and hi maxx motor

i resently purchased a ta-183 combo package from eflightline.com( its really the sabre package but asked for the huck).......it came with the cc 25 and the himaxx 2025-5300.

i put together the fan unit with the himaxx installed and connected the cc 25 and plugged in the tp 11.1v 2100 pack and went to run the motor up...........i got to bout 1/4 throttle and the motor cut off....i repeated and same thing happened.

im sorta new to electrics and still trying to get the learning curve...hehe.....anyone got suggestions?

thanlks

paul bingham
Old 10-25-2005, 06:39 AM
Woody 51

Default RE: alfa fan and hi maxx motor

Did you check the ESC programming and then program it?
If not, suggest you also obtain the USB-ESC Cable from Castle Creations, (they call it the "Castle Link" Connector) plug it into your PC, and download the relevant software from CC's website for proramming via the PC. Easier than doing it via the TX.
It will also auto install the latest software upgrades from CC before you program the ESC.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:21 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree HF, it sounds like an ESC programing issue. If you are on good terms with a decent LHS they may have the mentioned castle link and program it for you. You may want to buy something while you are in there to make them feel better about the favor
Old 10-25-2005, 08:32 AM
Ray Davis
My Feedback: (1)

My HiMax, Phoenix 25 ESC Alfa 15 combo always worked right outa the box. Yours should too. (C'mon, If I hadda download stuff from computer sites to get this stuff to work, I'da never started!) Try this: First, check that the P25 Rx connector is in CH 3 of your Rx (to correspond w/ the throttle stick); next turn Tx on and place the throttle stick at mid-position (half-way up). Now, plug in the LiPo to the P25 battery connector. You should have control of your surfaces; see the blinking red LED on the P25. Then push stick to full up, you'll hear bleep-bleep-bleep from the 25; then throttle stick to low for another series of bleeps. If the motor goes immediately to full (be ready..!) then quick to throttle up position (yer reversed), and you need to reverse that channel so motor off is at low position. You have control of the throttle channel and motor after those steps...each turn-on you need that sequence for safety...or if ya turn on w/ stick at top or bottom...the motor will respond to that position right away. No other 'programming' needed!

If you've done this, and still have a problem...then I dunno(!)....and you should do what you should have done in the first place : call the e-flightline boys....Jeff and Mike will help ya solve any problems/make any exhanges/etc.

Ray
Old 10-25-2005, 07:51 PM
HORNET FLYER

ray...i hear ya and i will try it....but i have another cc 25 with a axi 2212 on a yak....when you turn it on it goes....beep followed by two quick beeps.....and it works perfect..........on the hi maxx it goes beep....pauses for 1 sec then goes beep,beep,beep and then i try to throttle up and i get to bout have throttle and it cuts out......this is my first problem with the 25...i have 3...so what do u think?

thanks paul
Old 10-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Ray Davis

Well...ya could see if all three ESCs are consitant w/ the HiMax, for whatever that tells you; re-read the CC25 instructions; or, again...call those good guys at e-flightline!

Ray
Old 10-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Woody 51

Glad to hear you got all of your stuff to work right out of the box Ray. The 1st time I got an ESC that was programmed to exactly what I needed was when I bought an "Align" 25 amp ESC about 8 weeks ago.

My 4 CC ESC's had to have the programming changed to suit the model type that they were going into. After all, an EDF model does not require brake function, but a glider with a folding prop does. An Outrunner motor requires different timing to an Inrunner to get best performance from it and an electric helo requires totally different programming to a fixed wing model.

That is why I bought the Castle Link set up. It made programming a breeze rather than sitting around for 25 minutes flipping the throttle stick on the TX up and down and counting the beeps while following the CC programming chart.

When I plugged the unit into the Link, it spend 5 minutes downloading upgraded CC programming software before even installing the settings I nominated in the programming selection part of the program.

Hornet..... After more thought, ESC's will automatically shut down the motor if the battery voltage falls below the programmed voltage cut off (Factory preset usually around 5.0V) for more than half a second.

This is to protect your airplane from loss of control caused by too low a voltage at the reciever.

If the cut off is kicking in with fresh charged batteries, it may mean that the voltage is dropping too quickly. This is usually an indication of a motor that is drawing too much current for the batteries to handle. (I assume that you did charge the pack up?)

It sounds as if the motor could be drawing more than 21 amps (assuming your TP pack is a 10C pack, which it should be.) and is probably getting too close to the max 25 amps that the ESC can handle.(The ESC will also cut off to protect itself)

Try a 2600Ma/H pack. (at 10C, that would give 26 amp max draw) Or ask your friendly LHS if they can check the motors current draw.

Lastly, check the pack function itself.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:21 PM
HORNET FLYER

woody....i think your right....the battery was probly dead.......that would help...thanks..

i think im tired of programing ecu's by the stick......how much do the cc links cost?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Ray Davis

See.....no programinmg necessary...but having charged batteries is ! Hang yo head!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:22 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

How did you mount the Himax motor to the fan? I started to assemble mine last night, and found that the mount screws supplied with the motor were to long. Someone else has suggested the use of an adapter plate, but I wanted to see what others are doing. (anyone know what size screws the Himax use to mount)
Old 11-07-2005, 09:42 PM
HORNET FLYER

well....i got a bad motor....thought it was the cc 25 but it wasnt....so thats that

thanks
Old 11-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Shakey thumb

I had the same problem with mine. I used 2.5mmX6