Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

EDF Airliner build thread

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

EDF Airliner build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:26 PM
EDFmodel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF Airliner build thread

Hello All

Here begins a build thread on a 301 electric ducted fan airplane.

The objective is to illustrate the major construction steps and to expand on various designs aspects as the model progresses.

The image illustrates one 301 finished (but not the one to be built here).

If you are interested in seeing more on such models www.EDFmodel.com or stay tuned

Ian.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55746.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	413081  
Old 02-21-2006, 10:54 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Default RE: EDF Airliner build thread

Thanks Ian!

Guys, we have commissioned Ian to build a scale model of one of Frontier Airlines' ships. Hopefully, we'll watch it come to life in this thread.

I have been working with folks at Frontier to get some cool photo ops and we will certainly have video and a full write up in our magazine area when it's complete.

I can tell you this; Ian uses some VERY creative engineering and building techniques that you can apply to electric jets as well as other lightweight electric aircraft.

I can't wait to see this thing go!

Michael
Old 02-22-2006, 07:44 AM
EDFmodel

301 fuselage design.

The model under construction is to be completed in Frontier colours.

The fuselage is trimmed to size. The 301 comes with a standard set of window decals and these have been modified to include the Frontier graphics.

Decals can be produced in two ways. Use a graphic modelling website that will produce water slide decals to your specifications, in true colours. The results can be exciting. The second option is to produce your own on your CAD program and print to self-adhesive film. There are a few things to consider. Wing profiles for a model airliner tend to be thicker than scale. Therefore, if the graphics extends to the wing, (as they do with Frontier) then scale adjustment needs to be made. Decals are applied with patience and attention to compound curves. It can be much easier if an airliner scheme is chosen that has a solid colour along the body (which could be painted) and then decals can be applied over top.

Also attached an example of a Bruno Zimmermann built model. In conclusion with care and attention, graphics make the model.

Ian.

Name:	Ca81961.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	413337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37746.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	413338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29027.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	413339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49426.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	413340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65987.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	413341  
Old 02-22-2006, 02:28 PM
mkranitz
Banned

I love it!! The logo turned out great!
Old 02-22-2006, 11:23 PM
serdark

Great job Ian,

I use water transfer decals for aircraft since they are lighter than self adhesive decals. The following place sells high quality decal papers for inkjet. http://www.decalpaper.com/inkjet.html I suggest you stay away from laser water transfer decal paper, I found it to be very thin and hard to control during aplication.

The easiest way to design a water transfer decal is to print the decals with an ink jet printer, preferrably using a water-proof ink. Then apply a uniform layer of clear paint to prevent the ink from smearing during application.

I built the DC3 and prepared all decals using the method I have just described. http://kolejliler.netfirms.com All the decals on this model are in fact retouched photographs of a DC3 printed on decal paper.

Cheers,
Serdar
Old 02-22-2006, 11:29 PM
serdark

Hello All,

I have just purchased a 301 kit from EDF, and curretly assembling it. The 301 kit is an expertly designed, great model which is fun to build.

I am adding features to it such as a rudder, working extended flaps, retracts (mechanical), lights (navigation, strobes, landing) and will paint it as a Southwest 737.

Will post pictures as I make progress. Stay tuned.

Serdar
Old 02-23-2006, 01:00 AM
EDFmodel

Serdar's DC-3 he refers to is worth seeing. Quite impressive chrome work.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:39 AM
lslewis
My Feedback: (2)

When my 303 kit arrived I scanned all of the drawings and the decal, just in case. Later I found it easier to apply a water slide decal on a compound curve. I made the decal with inkjet paper I got from Micro-Mark http://www.micromark.com/ it was easy.

Hurricane Larry

Name:	Db86131.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	413967  
Old 02-23-2006, 08:37 PM
termite

Nice to see you doing a 301 build Ian,

We at Dynamo Electrics can't wait to receive our first shipment of the 301 kits.

Keep an eye out at www.dynamoelectrics.com and get your kit from the USA's only EDF Model dealer.

We'll be watching this one.
Randy
Dynamo Electrics
Old 02-24-2006, 12:52 AM
mkranitz
Banned

Hey Serdark, let's see some progress pics on your 737! When Ian is finished with ours, you can fly to Denver, cut fares and try to run my plane out of business!

Michael
Old 02-24-2006, 03:35 AM
EDFmodel

More detail work on the decals today. I have decided to take the name ‘Frontier’ through the fuselage doors as it is supposed to be. Strategically cutting the decals in a few places solves the compound curve issues.

Ian

Name:	Ig11299.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	414530  
Old 02-24-2006, 09:52 AM
mkranitz
Banned

I like the detail.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:57 PM
serdark

Hey Michael,

I have just started the assembly and so far not much to show, except the fin with a working rudder.

I like building planes as close to the originals as possible. The DC3 was a GreatPlanes kit and I have modified so many things on that that I had to draw my own plans of the modifications just in case I build another one later. The most recent one was a GreatPlanes Corsair. I flew to Washington Dulles Airport (Smithsonian Museum) just to take pictures of the one on display so that I can assemble it to scale.

The 301 project will not be any different. Well, a detailed job takes time, so stay tuned and I will post pictures...

Serdar
Old 02-24-2006, 12:59 PM
serdark

Great work Ian. Have you changed the window color from light gray to black? It seems like black would look more realistic.
Serdar
Old 02-24-2006, 01:02 PM
serdark

Ian,

Something in the Frontier decal just caught my attention: The American Flag: Is it supposed to face the same direction for both the Port and Starboard sides? Some airlines in US have the flag face the different direction for the port and starboard sides. How is this for Frontier?

Serdar
Old 02-24-2006, 04:17 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

What would be really cool is to see a Oceanic flight 815 bird.....LOST rocks
Old 02-26-2006, 11:37 PM
EDFmodel

Serdark

Cheers -yes I do have a copy of window decals in black. If you need a new set let me know. You are the second person to make the comment, so I will include the black set in the kits. I orginally thought grey was better was black was too bold.

Yes, well spotted the US flag is reversed on Frontier planes. Never would have picked it up.

Not sure about the lost rocks bit.

Ian.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:56 PM
mkranitz
Banned

I think he is referring to the television show, "LOST" -- but those of us who live online and in the workshop don't know of such things...
Old 02-27-2006, 01:07 AM
serdark

Hello folks,

Just as I promised, here are the first two pictures of the 301 (as a B737) I am building. Thinking that you might like to see those, I have included here two pictures of the nose gear I have just completed. What you see here will be assembled to a mechanical Robart retract and will be steerable.

The fin (with working rudder) and the wings (with working extending flaps) are currently being cured, since I added balsa to the trailing edges for strength. Pictures will be posted soon.

Cheers,
Serdar

Name:	Om34294.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	416534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92202.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	416535  
Old 02-27-2006, 01:13 AM
serdark

Thank you Ian,

The Southwest B737 I am building will have transparent windows, so I will use the decals for the doors only. One question though: Can you print decals in white? Southwest has white trims around windows and doors, but I do not know of any printer that can print in white.

I have attached a pic of a Southwest 737 for those who has not seen one.

Thanks
Serdar

Name:	Ig11274.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	416538  
Old 02-27-2006, 04:57 AM
EDFmodel

The easy (and perhaps only way) I can see of handling the white around the windows and doors is to have a sign/graphics company CNC cut white vinyl for you.

Now this should not be too expensive –the windows one constant shape that only needs machine time to repeat. The rear doors are slightly thinner than the forward.

The window masking templates you use on the inner fuselage surface are then the inner of the CNC cut vinyl. Solves two problems at once.

The door decals provided in the kit are unlikely to show up against such strong fuselage colours and so vinyl white for door outline I suspect will be necessary.

Nice nose gear. Just remember not to permanently fix the leg height such that it can not be easily altered. Nose wheel height adjustment is important on pre-flight final inspection. Wing root incidence angles need to be checked.

Ian.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:40 PM
lslewis
My Feedback: (2)

I see we have another Zimmerman building an EDF model. Scale wheels, retracts and with extending flaps yet! Serdar comparing you to Zimmerman is meant to be a complement.

You can get water-slide decal paper with a white background. You would have to color match the fuselage blue. Several times I have considered getting a vinyl cutter but…
Old 02-27-2006, 08:30 PM
serdark

Hi,

Thanks for the complements. I do not know Zimmerman in person but I have seen his impressive design work on the EDF site. In time you all will see that I love building perhaps more than flying the planes and I take extra time and effort to build realistic models. There are some surprises that no one has done so far, just stay tuned as I make progress.

As for the white water transfer decal paper, I already have a ream of it, however, matching a paint color with an inkjet printer is very difficult, unless you go to a professional printing place and specify the Pantone number.

Serdar
Old 02-27-2006, 09:19 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Yes...the "Lost" television show. Its VERY popular here in the states. The plane that the show is centered around is a fictictious airline called "Oceanic". The paint scheme is rather impressive in my opinion.

Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2006, 10:45 PM
serdark

Hello All,

I have completed the rough assembly of the main gears also. Attached are pictures, sorry for the low quality of the photographs. The main gears have the main and the side struts. The side struts are hinged and will be tied to down-lock struts during the final retract assembly.

I have also applied chrome vinyl over the shock absorber pistons, although they are not working shock absorbers.

Cheers,
Serdar

Name:	Ge94681.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	417745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55632.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	417746  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.