Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

RTF SU-27 FLANKER

Old 04-10-2006, 09:57 PM
PixelJet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RTF SU-27 FLANKER

Hey guys, i've been reading around but did not find a lot of info on this one. I am considering purchasing the SU-27 Ducted Electric and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. I could not find the one i saw anywhere except eBay and this one site. The product link can be found here: [link=http://www.snhobbies.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=127&osCsid=4tqmdh051hnd7kptel9tdoe822]SU-27[/link]. Please let me know what you think of this one. I am very tempted to try it out but i would rather know what i am getting into beforehand. I think the shop is in China? Or Canada? I am in the U.S. and any time i make online credit card purchases from another country i am a bit uneasy Any other sources for this product maybe? Thank you.

Edit: Found out who makes them: [link=http://www.art-tech.cn]art-tech[/link]
Old 04-11-2006, 11:58 AM
PixelJet

Default RE: RTF SU-27 FLANKER

I guess nobody has one of these. Well, i went ahead and ordered one. It will probably take about 2 weeks to get here so i will give you an update on how it turnes out.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:14 PM
linkadrip

I purchased two of these Jets off ebay they are shipped from china took 8 days to get to me. I just got them and opened them up to inspect them. they are made out of styrofoam come complete with radios and all the servos and receiver but have to be put together some. I thought they were plastic when i saw it on Ebay and watched the flight video. the flight video is what sold me on the plane but the one in the video looked like it was fiberglass or plastic. So iam a little disapointed that there styrofoam. Due to the fact that styrofoam degrades over time and is delicate.

What iam wanting to do is find some kind of a sealer that i can seal the styrofoam with so that they will be more durable and will last longer i invested over a hundred dollars in the purchase of these planes and would like them to last awhile.

So anyone have any suggestions there would be greatly appriciated.

After i get them assembeled (can't spell but you know what i mean) I will take pictures of the aircraft and post them here.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Joe 1320

I would suggest a few coats of water based polyurethane clear. Anything more adds weight......
Old 04-11-2006, 03:43 PM
PixelJet

Thats a shame of it being foam. I was expecting plastic as well. Any way to substitute the part with CF?
Old 04-11-2006, 05:37 PM
linkadrip

Well iam back again took me about three hours to assemble the aircraft. This first one was a little damaged in shipment and had to be repaired a little but not to bad the other aircraft i have is in perfect condition. Iam saving it for last i wanted to see how it was put together so on my second assembley i will know what to do. Glue still drying on this one so the other one is going to have to wait. but anyhow here is some pictures of the one i just finished.

Just turned it on and check all the functions and all seem to work ok except the steering its not turning so there's some problem there with the steeering servo or connection haven't looked at that yet but will have to see whats going on there. Hoefully its nothing big.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59487.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	443612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54354.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	443613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19209.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	443614   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54816.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	443615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33357.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	443616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs14527.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	443617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xz54791.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	443618  
Old 04-11-2006, 11:47 PM
calla76759

Hey guys,

I have been looking all over the web for info on this plane as well. I saw it on eBay and was also excited by the video. I've been reading some other posts here about art-tech planes, and the consensus seems to be that they have some initial quality problems (like likadrips) but are pretty decent planes once you get past that. One thing you will want to be sure of is that there is no radio glitching before you take off - I think they have had some issues with that. But I'm looking forward hearing your experience on flying it, and whether it would be suitable for a newbie/sim flyer.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 04-12-2006, 10:19 AM
PixelJet

Wow, thats great stuff! Thank you for posting the images. Does the plane feel sturdy or flimsy? Here is what i am thinking... with a fan upgrade, you think it will allow for reinforcement? Could the plane be used to mold an identical CF part?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:20 PM
linkadrip

Well the Plane seems to be sturdy but i won't really know till i get to fly it. Lately with all the bad wheather here i havent had a chance to take it and fly it. today is finally sunny but it is very windy out. and since its such a lite plan i wouldn't want to attempt to try and fly in any wind over 5mph. The only problem iam having with the plane is the front steering servo.

there are pop out in the bellie of the plan i opened up two of them and just moved some of the wiring and got the front steering to start working. But then it quit working again iam afraid iam going to have to performe some surgery and cut open the bottom of the plan and get to the receiver and find out the problem may have to replace that front servo.

Hopefully the other SU-27 that i have doesn't have the same problem but iam not even going to attempt to put it together till i get thia one right and have flown it.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:27 PM
linkadrip

As far as using the plane to make a CF part I would imagine that means Carbon Fiber. I wouldn't have a clue the plane is made out of that Polystyren Foam its a hard foam. but i know that if you put any chemicals to it. it would melt. i have test blocks of this styrofoam that i use to test different things out on. So if there are any chemicals involved in this CF part making. the styrofoam would most likely melt away. its might be possable to make a sand casting of the parts. i think they may stand up to that. But there i have no experience with any form of manufacturing parts.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:47 PM
calla76759

inkadrip,

It does sound as though the wiring to the wheel servo is faulty - that's worrisome. Can you get a picture of the underside of the plane so we can see where the receiver is?

The best scenario would be if the servo connecter were bad, as opposed to the wire itself. But I am guessing that the wiring is cheap on these planes. . . I wish they sold the fuselage and motors alone so we could buy quality radio gear and servos. The Art-Tech 540t is available as a bare fuselage, so maybe they will offer that for the su-27.

Do you know if the motors are BLDC (brushless?)

By the way, have you connected the transmitter tp the FMS simulator yet? Did Art-Tech include a software model of the plane? Any chance you could pass that along?

Also on the issue of other materials . . . I don't know this for a fact but I think these foam planes are lighter than any other material could be. The specs on this plane show that it weighs less than 1.5 pounds at takeoff. I don't think you could substitute other materials for the foam. But other groups have talked about clear tape as a crude stiffener (and Linkadrip, it looks like you had to use some tape to fix the shipping damage)

good luck with the first flight! It seems from the video that the plane will fly pretty slow if you want it to.

Dan
Old 04-13-2006, 01:41 AM
linkadrip

Well i'm still having the problem with the front steering servo the rest of the srvos work fine no glitching or anything. Here are some pictures of the bellie of the plane. Since you mentioned weight i was going to weigh the plane with the shipping scales i have, there very accurate. I will do that and post the pictures in my next post. In one of these pictures you will see a my finger pointing to the location of the receiver. There are only two little round cutouts in this location. This is how i found the receiver, i pushed both of them out and have since glued them back in place, the wiring to the servos doesn't look cheap looks as good as any you will find in your more expensive radio systems, but i have yet to see what the receiver it self looks like.

I will have to performe surgery on the bottom of the plane and cut out the area were the receiver is located, the manufacture obviously didn't want to make it easy to remove.
i think the pictures can explain way better then i can. This plane is extremely light. and the motors are not brushless i can tell buy the way they sound that there not and you can see there not when you look real close at them trough the fan ducts.

Hope this helps a little.

Name:	Xv63558.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	444397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94000.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	444398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96641.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	444399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16377.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	444400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb35874.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	444401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23622.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	444402  
Old 04-13-2006, 07:37 AM
P51ACE

Hey, man lika! your making me inch closer and closer to purchasing one of these. The included fans are GWS edf-64's and 300 brushed motors,ive one one of two i have on a 3 cell with much sucess so it shouldn't kill them. Let us know about the maiden! a video would be nice!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:56 PM
linkadrip

Well these are not the best pictures but this is what has happened lately. still been to windy and rainy to go fly. So i opened up the bellie of the plane to find out what is going on with this servo. The Steering servo that is, and i still can't seem to find out the problem. I haven't unpluged it yet from the receiver. i have a servo from a traxxas revo for the shifting that iam thinking iam going to replace this front servo in the plane with. I have an odd feeling its the servo.

Its really ashame that you expect to get something that has no flaws and spend 170 bucks and get it and its damaged. I have another one of these planes that i haven't opened up yet or put together. Anyone out there that is planning on getting one of these. Before you put it together i suggest. you open up the box pull the plan fuselage out of the styrofoam ,the battery has a charge in it. put batteries in the transmitter, and make sure everything works ok before you put it together.

Thing is about this type of purchase is you can only send it back for an exchange, not a refund. So consider this before you spend your hard earned dollar. the other plane i bought out right, and was 199.00 dollars but it isn't damaged at all there isn't any structure damage, so with a little luck i won't have the same problems as i am with this one.

I bought another aircraft from china and it was damaged as well, when i got it. A Full Scale 1/4 scale Extra 330L, the tail section was damaged and the wings. So consider this when you buy from over seas that the product you get may get damaged. Airplanes are delicate. Heres my other project with the damged wings.

Name:	Wu60301.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	445223   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43224.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	445224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87670.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	445225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28860.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	445226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64482.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	445227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75773.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	445228  
Old 04-15-2006, 02:10 AM
linkadrip

Well lets see if this works, the captions still have alot to learn about posting i guess. Well i reassembled the bellie of the plane. I found out that it isn't the servo that is the problem its eighther in the receiver or transmitter. So iam going to just fix the front wheel straight and fly it like that for now. Hopefully the other plane i have doesnt have this problem. Seems to bve an intermittent problem it works when it want to.

really a shame though. But it could happen to anyone. As my saying goes. There a sucker born ever minute and two to take him. Sure hope it flys good.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:25 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is -Cox hobbies - Toledo show - look at the new jet and wait until July . Its not a Foamy and from the RCU show video it looks fantastic
Old 04-17-2006, 05:56 PM
linkadrip

Whats the link to get to the show to check out this new jet?
ORIGINAL: LDM

All I can say is -Cox hobbies - Toledo show - look at the new jet and wait until July . Its not a Foamy and from the RCU show video it looks fantastic
Old 04-17-2006, 06:27 PM
LDM

Actuallu RCU sent me an email on the Toledo show , then you click on Cox hobbies , look under the main page and see if there is a general recap on Toledo , RCU did a great job for those of use who could not attend
Old 04-17-2006, 06:32 PM
linkadrip

RCU Didn't send me that email apperently. Is there a link to get to this page. I'm sure there are alot of people who be intrested in seeing a new jet of this type not made out of syrofoam. I have two of them. and would be intrested in one that isn't made of this material. I know there not going to last to long. Iam going to have to seal the foam with something to make it more durable.

Actuallu RCU sent me an email on the Toledo show , then you click on Cox hobbies , look under the main page and see if there is a general recap on Toledo , RCU did a great job for those of use who could not attend
Old 04-17-2006, 08:42 PM
kev71h

subscribe
Old 04-17-2006, 08:49 PM
kev71h

Surprise....its the same jet painted differently. Watch closely, look at the underbelly behind the nose wheel. Its the same size also. It may come with a little better "stuff" possibly. It seems to be the same thing. Look very closely.

Kev

Old 04-17-2006, 11:00 PM
calla76759

linkadrip,

Any luck flying this thing yet? Looks like there is increasing interest, but so far you're the only guy with the goods.

I watched the Cox video - http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=694
I am positive that the two jets are the same. 5 servos, steerable wheel, and look at the position of the servos embedded in the wing - the same. As to the plane not being foam . . . I'd bet against it. The rep in the video said '3-cell LiPo,' and he also said 'twin EDF,' without saying 'brushless' as he did about the other Cox shwag he was pitching. If it's the same size, same battery, and same non-brushless motors, I can't see it being another (heavier) material.

Still, given that linkadrip's $200 eBay plane suffered physical damage and had electrical problems out of the box, maybe the Cox name would be worth paying for here. I would guess $299 from Cox, with the same radio gear but much better (than nothing) QA.

These Chinese models have a lot of potential when they get the manufacturing/shipping kinks out of the hose.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:25 PM
linkadrip

Calla,

No luck flying it yet the wheather has been terriable here cold and windy and raining i'm wondering when winter is going to end. I put the plane back together the bottom and its just sitting waiting for a good day. IAm going to pull the other plane out of the box tommarrow and put it together its in perfect shape from what i could see. Hopefully it doesn't have any of the other problems the first one has.

Funny its not the servo or the wiring to the servo i tested the servo and it works fine on other receiver. It work intermittently sometimes it works then it doesn't . I hooked a differnet servo up to the receiver that i know is in good shape and it did the same thing so it has to be the receiver. I would like to know who Q.C. # 29 is in that factory thats the sticker on the receiver. I Take that receiver and trow it at him or her.

Well i will have to check out that link you put there see what this new jet looks like.

Thanks for the link so people can check it out I will post more pictures as soon as i'm done putting Plane 2 together and let everyone know how that goes. at least there easy to put together and this one shouldn't take me three hours.

I shouldn't be the only one with the goods when i bought those planes on ebay they had sold hundreds of them. Well at least this one plane that i have had the problems with will be a good trainer for my son.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:22 PM
LDM

You could be correct it does look like the same plane .
Old 04-18-2006, 11:41 PM
linkadrip

Well i'm back again Finished the second jet and it took me longer but thats because i wanted to make sure everything was right my first plane still has some adjustment i have to make to the Control rods. But this one i assembled with five minute Epoxy instead of that rubberized cement they sent in the package and it made a big difference definetly more solid.

I found out the problem with the first planes 4th channel it is the trasmitter. both planes came with a transmitter and have the same frequency installed in them why they did this i have no idea guess its easyer then sending to different frequencies. Anyhow my second plane everything works perfectly no problems. So i checked the first plane with the second planes transmitter and no problems works perfectly.

So today i took my second plane out and finnally got to fly it. It is awesome for a piece of flying foam. i chased a crow with it that was fun. But warnig to anyone thinking of doing this be aware that any big bird you chase with you plane is most likely going to retaliate and attack back. I escaped my jet outran the bird i sweating it there for a minute though i knew if that bird got ahold of my foam airplane it would be history.

I didn't realize that crows were that big. well i only wish i would have had someone there to film it.

Heres the pictures of the second plane which has been flight tested to the extreme and has held up to some very hard manuvers.

So i have to apoligize to the person who put there QC sticker on the receiver. It someone else that needs the transmitter thrown at them.

Name:	Ge95414.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	447694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17438.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	447695   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27633.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	447696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd90154.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	447697  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.