Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Art Tech SU-27

Old 02-13-2007, 07:27 PM
GUAIO
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Art Tech SU-27

I sent Art-tech an email about the SU-27 and they told me Hobby Lobby is the US dealer..I sent Hobby Lobby an email and they said NO..they do not have the SU-27 and dont even know anything about this model from Art-tech....
Old 02-14-2007, 08:52 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ARRRGH. You'd think in this era of global economies and free trade, especially with China, that this plane would be easier to get. I did see it in an ebay store but it's coming from England, and while the shipping is less than I had thought, it's still a few $$. Call me a cheapskate....

A
Old 02-15-2007, 07:06 PM
whissel_blowa

There is no brushless version of this plane from artech, they been teasing with that for years now.

They also dont sell just the airframe and neither does that UK company, you will find the fuselage comes with the fans, motors, servos, esc etc all fitted. You then buy the wings and tail and nose, not much different to the whole kit. All they have done is order an unpainted kit to use as spare parts. Artech will not supply the foam airframe only.

I first set up the SU27 with EDF64 fans and hyperion motors for local aussies, I think quite a few ppl around the world have copied this setup and had success with the plane. It certainly flies faster without undercarriage, and just recently a customer of mine fitted the 4 cell setup I make for the GWS 262 into one of his SU27's. Reports are its a bullet, so I may be tempted to build a 4 cell version myself just to see He also made up new intakes and exhaust ducts out of depron, really well done too, looked great as the intakes were curved, much stronger, able to land on grass without undercarriage and without damage, and I think the intake airflow was greatly improved by the shape of the new ducts.

This plane can be alot of fun but it needs money spent, aileron servos are also something which need to be replaced once you go hi powered, as the resolution is not good enough for the speed.
Mark.

www.extremerc.com.au
Old 02-25-2007, 11:34 AM
R/C-Plane

What happened to the Art-Tech SU-27? I keep seeing a lot of the the SU-27's out of stock.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:53 PM
rctoyhouse

Hey,

The SU-27 is back in stock..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150105390700

However, this is not the brushless version. You can probably upgrade the motor pretty easily. Overall, the feedback for this airplane has been great. Like others in the forum mentioned, you probably need to upgrade the motor to get the needed thrust.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:25 AM
marktur

Don't waste your time and money. It's a piece of crap. You have to do major surgery just to get to the motors, and when you're done with everything, it's still a weakly built foamy with fixed gear. I flew mine once...tried to hand launch - NO POWER...broke the nose cone off...glued it back on, did a bungee launch, and it barely flew. I couldn't get it higher than about 25 feet, and it was only flying just above stall speed. Go with the HET jets instead. At least you'll have a real jet, and it will withstand high speeds, too.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:05 PM
rayplee

I have just saw the brushed version of Art-tech SU-27 on Hobby-Lobby. It cost $250.00 and the website says it is in stock. Hope this help.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:37 PM
bjeter

I don't want to hijack the thread, but, I have to say that the Ikarus SU27 XXL is an amazing alternative. I didn't try the Art Tech, but, I did try the Ultrafly and did not like it one bit. I built it with the Ultrafly BL setup and it barely flew. Very sluggish and underpowered and difficult to balance out. On a whim, I bought an Ikarus SU27 XXL. I initially resisted because it was a profile model, but, from five feet away and in the air, you really don't notice it. I pulled the BL inrunner from a Stryker I didn't want to fly anymore with the stock prop (7X5.3?) an electrifly 25A ESC, DX6 radio, HS55 servos and TP #S 1320mAh packs. The plane flys amazingly! Unlimited vertical when you want it, and it will slow to almost stationary without stalling. I love this plane! Here is a link to a video of me flying yesterday at the field: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xkkJByhZZg
Old 04-24-2007, 03:32 AM
whissel_blowa

ORIGINAL: marktur

Don't waste your time and money. It's a piece of crap. You have to do major surgery just to get to the motors, and when you're done with everything, it's still a weakly built foamy with fixed gear. I flew mine once...tried to hand launch - NO POWER...broke the nose cone off...glued it back on, did a bungee launch, and it barely flew. I couldn't get it higher than about 25 feet, and it was only flying just above stall speed.
Dont blame the tools! The plane flies well, and its an extremely simple plane to modify. Most take 1-2 hours max to remove the old fans and drop in new ones, wiring is simple, and the result is a plane that has 1:1 thrust ratio and flies extremely well. We have even done 4 cell versions of this pushing 1.2kg of thrust in a 950 gram airframe, certainly flies like a jet!

Beauty of all this is it slows down just like the stock version and can be high alpha'ed onto the ground.

Here is video of my 3 cell version if you doubt its performance. Check out the climbout!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616811
Old 04-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Toine45

Hello!
I've got this plane (Art-tech RTF Su 27) i want to make it brushless but i have a problem :
This it what i buy :

2x HXT 2030 (130S) 3500kv Brushless Inrunner
2x TP 18A Brushless Speed Controller

But i don't know choose the good lipo battery ... (I have the Lipo 3S 1800mAh with the plane ..)

Thanks
Old 05-17-2007, 04:24 PM
BlkHwkCE

Will any brushless upgrades work with the exsiting wiring?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:33 AM
BlkHwkCE

Anyone have any suggestions who have switched this plane over to brushless. Like speed controlers, and motors. I have had mine out flying and yes it is very under powered, Also my fans are making a odd noise when i take the power away and at low rpm's right now with the stock set up. Any idea's as to what this is. Im a long time modeler but new to DF and electric r/c so any help is appreciated.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:09 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i got the hyperion Y-22-L 4400 Kv motors, 30 amp thunder power speed controls and the $22.90 65 mm fans from hobby lobby. the stock fans are a 2 mm hub and brushless motors are hard to locate smaller than 2.3 mm, at least for me. using 2 ea thunder power 2070 3 cell packs and the thrust is about 1:1.
the stock wiring will not work with any brushless system i know of.
the ausie fella is right, the conversion is rather painless and easy to accomplish. hardest part was deciding where to put the batteries.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:44 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flew mine today for the first time and it wasn't a powerhouse for sure but it did fly and it reminded me of the first edition of the GWS A-10. I would be surprised if the flight lasted much over 5 min. Pretty far from the 10 min advertised. Probably due to running it wide open. I am sure these aren't the most efficient motors even for brushed jobs. But it certainly flys nice and is worth brushless upgrades.

Now, here is my question. I have a spare fan and brushless set from a GWS 262, this would be the EDF64. The 262 is heavier by a bit and this package should be a good match. I am not looking for a 1:1 thrust ratio, just sufficient power and the reliability. Any inputs in what sort of ESCs I will need? Can the stock 1800 handle that draw?

Old 06-03-2007, 02:50 AM
mongo

my set up pulls 25 amps, each side, at fulll throttle. but with it, i don't ever get full throttle in flight, 5/8 is plenty.
yeah, the stock set up got me 3.5 min flights, and the battery/esc was hot as can be at the end of even that shortened flight.
what yer talking about putting in, sure sounds like it will work, but i would want 25 amp escs, just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Zafer

Hi,

Just bought the brushless version of the SU 27 in her Russian dressing.

I would like to check the CG.

There is nothing in the booklet.

Thanks and regards.

Zafer

Old 06-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Zafer

Here she is...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24703.gif
Views:	56
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	698160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85469.gif
Views:	48
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	698161  
Old 06-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Zafer

Sorry for quality of the pictures.

Name:	Ig13834.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	698164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55451.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	698165  
Old 06-07-2007, 11:01 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my GWS EDF64 fans and the GWS blue 2025 motors installed and tested. They certainly feel stronger, one fan feels like it has more pull than both stock ones. That may in fact be true. I recall the one fellow measured 300g thrust on his SU27. The motors are pretty far from a GWS or graupner (maubichi) motor quality and the fans were aweful. The ones I removed had a fair amount of rubbing on the duct and there were hot glue runs on the blades which were sloppily molded. I would bet a set of EDF55 or EDF64 would have made the plane allot more flyable with no other mods. I have a set of 55s with fresh motors but by the time I thought of it I already had these in and it wasn't worth the effort just to experiment. It is ready to fly other than waiting on the 30c 2200s I ordered to arrive, as soon as they do I will get a video or some pics and a description posted.

Zafer, where did you find that brushless version, and what are the specs? I will give you some CG measurements when I get home Friday morning.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Zafer

Hi there,

I have no idea about the specs. All I know, they are brushless. the lipo came with the plane is a 3 cell 2200MAH. LHS has also brushed version (blue-white) The kit has basically same box and the manual. It doesnt even tell you that motors and ESC are brushless.

To know the location of CG would certainly help for the maiden.

I have also put some carbon support under stab and the wings and in between the fins.

Regards.

Zafer
Old 06-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Zafer

This is the best I can do. The motors are 400 Class. No other info I was able to find.

Zafer

Name:	Ig12225.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	700011  
Old 06-08-2007, 02:15 PM
mongo

cg, at least on a stock one, is on the little covers ya glue over the servo wires after joining the wing. right now, mine is right on the servo wire trace cut into the wing.
the rotors, on the brushed version are 2 mm shaft size, and the 400 class motors will fit the mounting in the fan, if ya get the 2 mm shaft.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:53 PM
R/C-Plane

Hello, I have a question.

What happened to the Art-tech SU-27 in Hobby-Lobby? When I Checked to see the SU-27, It said "Unavailable." Why?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Wing saber

They might be sold out . Hey zafer does your su-27 fly good . would it be a good second plane and is it a good floter . Thanks

-Andrew
Old 09-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Leo2A6 Owner

I also have one of these. Lots of good sorties on it over tha past few weeks. Today one of the motors crapped out. Stopped working entirely. The other still works which tells me its the motor. Now for us U.S. people what would be the best recommended parts for brushless conversion? I want to run the system off 1x 2000Ma 3 cell lipoly. wiring is no issue i just want a reliable system to put in it. The reciever in it is still strong and range on the acft is great. I can see how some would be disappointed by sped but overall if its capable of a rolling takeoff its strong enough.
If anyone has a good recommended list please PM me with the details. The more options the better in case the 2 local shops dont carry a certain brand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.