Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Future of EDF?

Old 06-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Ray Davis
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Future of EDF?

Tomcat...my apology....never knew PA made a 14! And I figured two complete EDFs, the size to make it perform, w/ a 'coupla sets of batteries, would be much more than a JC120. What have you spent.....?

True, regarding the Wavier......a PITA, esp if a jet crowd is not nearby....and your quite correct re the complexity/fuels, etc. Sounds like you've made the obvious choice, all considered.

Funny, I have an Avonds 15, placed in the Master Scale Nationals in 2003 w/ it (white and red Edwards test scheme)....powered by an AMT 280 (now updated to a 400). Haven't flown it for 3-seasons, as that engine is now in a Eurosport. Scale everything, needs a hard surface for ops unless the grass is really good (or LG can take a beating)....and 500-feet plus in length. Engine will go back in it someday, everything else still in it. A complex model, smoke/brakes, full cockpit, etc....but got nothing on a 14! Can't let it go yet, maybe someday .

My hat's off to you for pursuing this stuff...not always so easy at this level, whatever the circumstances. Best wishes!

Ray
Old 06-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Ray Davis
My Feedback: (1)

Ooops.........forgot to say, I have seen several videos re that Israeli 15....simply amazing! Model also flies so well.....easiest, most 'on rails', predicable and forgiving I've flown....including the ES.

Ray
Old 06-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Ray,

Yes, Phillip desinged a F-14 back in the late 80's. I have an extra set of plans if you need them. If you ever decide to get rid of the F-15 call me! I have a F-15 by TGA that is powered by a Byron's fan but it's just not the same. A couple of friends of mine have F-14's that are turbine powered but I don't live and fly on a Federal Indian Resrvation. I got my 2nd F-14 from a fellow who was being shipped over to Iraq and he suggested that I look into electrics. He had planned to build his electric for the same reason I previously stated. Airpower and United Hobbies have really brought down the price of fans and speed controllers. Now if the darn batteries would come down in price a little. I know the turbines are more affordable now than they've ever been. I'm starting a website (and maybe a forum) to chronical my F-14 build this month. Maybe you can look in occassionaly. When I go to turbines I'll let you know.

David
Old 08-02-2009, 11:47 PM
magazoid

I don't understand. I have a electric jet Starfire 53 1/2" wingspan. The fan is 101 mm the motor is 2300kv. Thrust about 5.5 lbs. battery pack is 6c 3000mah 35c. I paid about $400.00 receiver ready plane. I use a Spektrum Ar7000 receiver. The complete plane with radio is under $1000.00. The least expensive turbine I have seen is $2500.00. Why do you say the electric ducted fan cost more then the turbine? I would love to try a turbine powered plane but the engine alone is to much for me to afford.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:10 AM
DREAMER-RCU

Go take a look at page 42 of the June 2009 issue of Flying Models. There is a picture of two Reactions together. One is electric, the other turbine. They both fly very well. The EDF system cost is $535. Compare that to the turbine.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 AM
mark_d

Did you notice the dates on this thread? EDF has come quite a way in a couple of years!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:22 PM
countryshooter
My Feedback: (21)

hey I just came back from liberty jet fly and I saw BVMs both electrics fly, electra and the f86. very very nice, still cost about 5k to fly them but still cheaper then a new turbine jet of the same scale.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

I was at Liberty Bell too and saw them fly.
The problem for me was the sound, the D/F noise, sounds NOTHING like a jet.
I remember at the first Liberty Bell there were a few IC D/F's trying to get off the ground. It was around 105 degrees out and those OS 91's were screaming their guts out trying to generate enough RPM's to get the model airborne.
I really don't understand the waiver issue. When I got my waiver in '02 you had to attend a manufacturers ground school, take a written test and send it in to AMA to be graded and then complete a rather lengthy flight test.
Now it's been streamlined to just the flight test and if you can fly a decent sized warbird you won't have a problem.
I agree with Ray, it probably will be the wave of the future, but I just can't see me giving up my turbines.
I, like Ray, probably have five years left to fly high performance models, so I'll be OK (unless the FEDS ban them).
I took the EDF plunge and bought a HL SU-34, but one of the fans exploded the first time I ran the engine up.
Boy, they sure are fragile!.
BRG,
Jon
Old 08-11-2009, 01:26 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Well for me I love EDF since I work on real turbines all day I have no intrest in doing it on models on the weekend. I love just plugging in my EVF and flying. And for the sound I could care less about that also since I hear the crap all day long. Not to mention I hate jet A and I hate 2380 turbine oil.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
magazoid

All the remarks are appreciated. Again I do not have the money to set up a turbine. The electric ducted fan plane I have is large 53 1/2" wing. The sound is some what like a mix between a turbine and a high speed vacuum cleaner, but it still sounds good going by in excess of 100 mph. I had an F106 Delta Dart in the 1970s with a Turbax 1 fan unit and a K&B 45 fan motor with a tuned pipe. It screamed but was never able to get off the ground. It was supposed to have 7.5 lbs of thrust, but just holding it I would be lucky if it had 4 or 5 lbs. The plane was to heavy at 12 lbs so it never flew. I bet it would be fantastic now with one of those 20 lb thrust turbines in it. The electric system I am using now is a Rainbow models (out of business company) fan unit with an included inrunner electric motor of unknown manufacture. (It was very cheep). It is a 2300kv that will turn at about 30000 RPM and put out about 5 to 6 lbs of thrust with a 6 cell (22.2V) lipo pack at 3000 MA and 35 C. I am not sure what the last number means if anyone can tell me I would appreciate it. The planes weight is about 4.5 to 5 lbs so it should perfom well. If I win the lottery I will most likely get a true turbine if the government does not ban them.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Tomcat_104

I now have a F-15 with Dynamax fan and OS 91, love it. But I finally chose Schuebeler fans and Neu motors for the Avonds F-14 Tomcat that I'm building right now. I thought I'd have to go with turbines which I wouldn't really mind but 2 of them? Electric, even with top end components was a lot most cost effective. I too would challenge any turbine guy to match my clean-up speed. Besisdes I don't have to get an EDF waiver...............yet!

David
Old 08-11-2009, 03:50 PM
gunradd

Thats going to be a nice F14! The thing about the DS fans is they are not very effeicent so your flight times will suffer. The Stumax and EVFs are alot more effeicent just look at Kirks starfire hes getting alot more endurance now.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Tomcat_104

I'll look at both but I think I'll end up sticking with the DS-94 fans since I already have them and they really need to go in the first of next week. I'll post a few pictures of my build shortly and you guys may be able to help, that is if you don't mind.

David
Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 PM
gunradd

Sweet tomcat looking forward to the build. And the DS94s are sweet and they will get ya up and hauling a#@. I love seeing new EDF builds.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:31 PM
WashedAshore
My Feedback: (11)

Tomcat 104

I am also building an F-14 from the Avonds plans.

I have ordered my fans and controllers fron this site http://dyn-e-max.com/index.html

there is also a forum on these fans http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980280

the units that I ordered are "The Beast" the Numbers are pretty impressive 21 - 24 lbs thrust on a 14S batt setup.

Which I know is overkill for the airframe the F/S one could stand on its tail and would like mine to do the same.

I also had the breif thought about going Turbine in it til I relized that they can't be flown at the field that I use and taking a ferry to the mainland is a hassle to go fly so edf here i come.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Tomcat_104

That's pretty much what I went through too on the power plant decision. The only difference is I don't have to go back to the mainland to find a turbine field. Of course I have to travel 4 hours to get to a certified turbine trainer since I don't have my waiver.

I originally was going to go with a 14S battery source but recently I've been 'hammered' with the lighter weight virtues of a 10S battery source. Good thing is I'm a long way from needing to make that decision!

I'm a stroke victim and have only one good hand now so I build VERY slowly. I've spent the last few years collecting all the parts and getting the metal parts made. I've done no building on it this year as I chose to build two other electrics that my son could take to college. Funny they wouldn't allow nitro methane in their dorms.

How far along are you on yours? I'll take some pictures of mine and send them to you soon.

M email is [link=http://[email protected]][email protected][/link] if you should need it.

David