Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Phase 3 EF - 16

Old 11-06-2010, 12:43 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phase 3 EF - 16

UPDATE:
While trying to fly my P3 F16 yesterday, I crashed it again. I just couldn't seem to get the battery in the right place to balance it. I'm assuming that I've made so many repairs that I misaligned a wing or horizontal causing it to fly nose down (indicating forward CG) and when I moved the batter back to compensate it made things worse. I need to order a new airframe. I think this one has gained to much weight in glue.

RJ
Old 11-07-2010, 01:24 PM
jesses151
My Feedback: (1)

I'm sure this has already been covered in the many pages of this thread, but does anyone have a preference on where to put the ESC in this plane? before or after the EDF? I'm mounting a 75amp CC Ice (with the heat sinks).
-Jesse
Old 11-07-2010, 02:40 PM
rowdyjoe

I've never used an ICE ESC so, I'm not familiar with the weight. However, I would put it where it affects the CG the least. The factory ESC "pocket" appears to be very near the CG anyway so, I'd place it in the stock position along with the motor/fan, receiver, battery, etc.and see how she balances. Move things around until you get it to balance correctly.
BTW ....balance it upside down and you'll far fewer headaches with CG.

RJ
Old 11-08-2010, 04:21 AM
blkz2801

Guys, i just built my f16 and it seems there is alittle slop in the elevators, is this normal?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:47 AM
rowdyjoe

No. Slop in the stabilators is not normal. Go to RC groups at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761041 . Search through this thread and you'll find several different methods folks have used to eliminate the play/slop.

RJ
Old 11-16-2010, 06:59 PM
rowdyjoe

Wow ! Just discovered for myself the difference the higher "C" rated batteries make. I've been flying my P3 F16 using 3s 2200mah 20C batteries and it's been doing OK with a 64mm fan and 4500kv motor. My 20C batteries give me 360 watts @ 32amps BUT, the 3s 2200mah 30 C battery I just bought gives me 455watts @ 38amps. That's a whopping 95 watt increase. This battery should turn my little bird into a rocket. I LIKE it ! You can bet I'll be buying more of those. Can't wait to fly it on that battery.

RJ
Old 11-20-2010, 09:09 PM
rowdyjoe

Well, the 30C battery flew very well and did add to the performance of the plane. It came down slightly warm so, I was very pleased. However, on the 2nd flight with a 20C battery I dumb thumbed it into the ground. I was flying on low rate and accidently hit the high rate switch so the next time I attempted a a turn, it turned completely over and dove nose first in the ground from about 15 feet up. The airplane is toast but, the electrics seem to have survived.
I'll be looking for a new 64mm airframe after the first of the year.

In the mean-time, my 70mm P3 F16 is almost finished. Just need to stick the decals, epoxy the wings and vertical, and mount the stabilators. I'm looking forward to flying this bird on a 4s 2200mah. Static thrust tests show 550 watts from a 20C battery.

RJ
Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 AM
rowdyjoe

Looks like I'm posting these comments as a diary to myself.
Anyway, my new P3 F16 with 70mm fan on a 4s battery flew great yesterday on it's first two flights. It is a bit heavy for hand launch so, it was bit of a challenge to get aloft but, once airborne it flew like a champ. It was very satisfying to see something I built fly so well.
I asked an experienced young fella (outstanding pilot) to fly the first flight as his reflexes are better than mine. He flew it out of my weak throw and after leveling out, it took off like a scalded cat.
It's quite a bit faster than the 64mm version I wrecked a few days ago. He said it required about 3 clicks of pitch trim and one click of yaw trim and it was flying straight and level hands-off. I was very proud and satisfied when I heard him say that.
I flew the second flight myself and it flew equally as well for me. I'm very pleased with it and will build a catapult to launch it. I would never be able to launch this one by myself. I'm too old to generate the initial speed this one needs to get started ...especially left handed.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

RJ
Old 11-24-2010, 11:06 AM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

very cool rj, i have had a stocker for 2 years now and enjoy it very much!! i was thinking of building a 70mm version myself. i have not looked back at the thread but did you list motor and fan you used? mark
Old 11-24-2010, 11:09 AM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

rj where did you buy you 30c lipo you used for the stock setup?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:21 PM
rowdyjoe

mistermnkim,
The fan and motor I used were out of an old Banana Hobby F16 I wrecked many months ago. The motor is the cheap stock 2600 or 2700kv motor that came with the plane. I balanced the fan the best I could and it helped quite a bit. It's much smoother than it was and it flies pretty quietly. If you plan to build a 70mm 4s version, I would recommend a higher kv motor ....around 3000 or 3300kv to handle the additional weight.
I also added the tail beef-up mod as the instructions recommend for flying a 4s set-up. I mounted the 70mm fan unit 2" behind the "lip" in the fuselage also as instructed. There is a special supplemental instruction sheet that comes with the "kit" version that does not come with the ARF (motor, fan, esc version). It has very helpful instructions for those of us who are not running the stock configuration.
I bought the 3s 2200mah 30C battery from Hobby Partz. They have very reasonable prices.

RJ
RJ
Old 11-27-2010, 02:44 AM
bobby1699

Rowdy, we're still here listening.. I am on my 5th or 6th P3 f-16 . I just can't seem to be without one very long. I flew my 70mm version last Sunday on 4 cells . All I could say was wow. I built it very light and flew it on a 45c tp 3200 mah batt, castle 100 ice lite speed control and an E-flite fan and 3200kv BL-15 motor . Almost flew out of my hand without a toss. I tried a 6s tp 30c 2250mah for the first and second flights a few weeks ago. Flew great but on the second flight even with plywood on the taileron supports, it blew apart. The "speed of foam" as we call it seems to be somewhere between 4s and 6s..lol Lost the 6s battery to the tall grass of our club field. But I am more than happy with the speed of this one on 4s. If you get the speed bug and go anything higher than 4s you will need to glass the airframe. I pushed my glassed version to over 170 mph on radar last year and it is still being flown by one of our club members. I became bored with it after I fried the NEU motor. Which took over 6 months to get replaced. I opted for the 50% replacement service. Great motor but the customer service was less than helpful and downright lied to me about the status of my new motor on several occasions. They are great EDF's and I built this one to fly at my home, where I don't have much room.. I have several vids on youtube, type "maxxum25" into the search and you will see them..
Old 11-27-2010, 04:39 PM
rowdyjoe

Great Bobby on the successful flights your 4s set-up but, sorry about the loss on the 6s. Hope it's repairable and it's flying again real soon. Thanks for the info on the vids. I'll be sure to take a look.
As you can tell, I'm very new to EDFs and still struggling to figure out what's possible with them. I have most of the parts to assemble my self-contained catapult but, need to find the right pulleys and find a place that sells bungee cord by the foot.
Wish I had built my latest bird lighter so I could do my own hand-launch. It does fly great when airborne but, getting it there is a challenge. I've discovered that launching by hand takes a little talent. I've found two guys at our field that know how and one that doesn't but, launches with all three have botched some throws. I think my catapult will eliminate that if I build it right.
I'm looking forward to flying it on a better, higher C, battery. Maybe Santa will bring me a couple.
I've been thinking about installing a better motor and ESC but, want to get proficient with what I have first. My current model is plenty quick for my old brain to keep up with and I'm enjoying the challenge.
I also have a HL F35 with TV and it's a pure joy to fly. I haven't delved into the TV too much yet as it gets a little scary when I do. The maneuverability is amazing.

Merry Christmas and God Bless you and yours.
RJ