Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

EDF arf kits what to buy...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

EDF arf kits what to buy...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:00 AM
206driver
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF arf kits what to buy...

I've recently become interested in having a EDF model. Been looking at a few different types. Noticed that there are a few nice models on Hobby Lobby that seem to fly well and come with the fan and motor. Also noticed that Great Planes has a couple of models that have this arrangement as well but for about half the price.

Does anyone own one of these or something like it? What are your thoughts with who has the better deal and what one flies the best?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 12-28-2007, 12:21 AM
crimsonrain22

Default RE: EDF arf kits what to buy...

Well I just ordered my first edf or plane period for about 10 years. Greatplanes xpd-8 Havent got it yet but I will be sure and report my exploits when it comes. Going to try and use a mystery 1500mah lipo from my Honey bee king 2 heli, brushed esky 20amp speedcontrol, stole again from the king2, took it out when i went brushless with it. and some Towerpro sg90 servos, Flying (read crashing) it with my new dx7 the wife got me for xmas. Or atleast that is the plan.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:31 PM
206driver

The XPD-8 is actually the one from Great planes that I had in mind. I watched a video of it fly on towerhobbies.com. From what I've seen with others like it comparable in size and motor application it seemed to perform well. Up until seeing that one zip around it was too my understanding that an electric plane didn't get very good performance with a (brushed) motor as compared with brushless. All other demos that I watch with a plane shown first flown with the brushed equipment it comes with shows that it gets up and goes, and flies around "ok". Then when they show what you can get out of it with a brushless set up seems like "night and day." Those brushless EDF's scream.

Examples from the other websites vary, but I think it may be b/c of the style of one pilot flying versus the other. Which is a shame because in the interest to push the sale of the product I think it should get rung out to the edge. So you can see the full potential available.

Be glad to hear how that one works out for you, I read on the tower site that futaba servos are recommended over the tower servos. Tech notes mention that the tower servos are too large to fit. Not sure which model of servo they have in mind. "Something to think about."

Dave
Old 12-29-2007, 02:43 AM
Beamshipcaptain

I love the MIRAGE 2000 from Hobby-Lobby; I was just out flying it today. It even takes off from grass runways. Its not all that fast, but it has enough power to do loops, it rolls great, and it has a rudder, so you can do knife-edge and all maneuvers.

A real bargain too, comes with a radio, but I was unhappy with the limited control-throws, so I put in a micro PCM-6-channel Futaba receiver and programmed it into my Futaba 12Z radio. Fluys superbly, and the effect is very realistic. The molding is nice, its VERY scale!

A STEAL at $219!

God Bless the Chinese people! They've even got a succesful manned space program, and will probably beat us back to the Moon!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:23 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some of the EDFs that I have flown:

Best Beginner Choice for me goes to ... the Multiplex Twister ... this baby is easy to fly, can be flown on 3S but slightly bigger packs, that means more cost for batts but she is so stable. Launches are easy and so are the landings. She is not super fast on a 3S set up. Get the combo (plane/motor/fan unit) if you are not a speed freak. This plane will give you extremely axial rolls without dialing in any differential. Only thing I am not keen on is this plane feels soft ... guess the foam flexes a bit.

Alfa Models MIG 15 - this plane is pretty and slightly harder to build, she flies very well with a 20mm can motor of at least 4,200 KV or more. Take offs need a hard toss unless you want to run on a 5,00+ KV motor, landing her is easy, comes in slightly fast but the rate of descent is not high. She is pretty in the sky too. You can fly her with 3S 1,800 mAh to 2,170 mAh packs. She is a smooth flyinh plane.

J Perkins Tiger Shark EDF 400 - cheap but fast, approximately about 80-85 mph. She is very agile to fly. The plastic coated wings and tail feathers make this plane feel solid in the sky. The stock fan unit is only good for a 20mm can motor of 3,400 KV, anything more is pointless as the amps go up a lot but the thrust does not go up by that much. She might be really hot to fly with the GWS EDF64 and a motor of 5,000+ KV. Landings are a little hot but she is just so so smooth.

GWS A10 - not much fun on the stock brushless motor, not too bad to fly but can be a handful for a beginner to EDF.

EJF Sport Jet 70 - this is a medium sized plane with a 70 mm fan. The plane will fly well on a 3S set up with a 28 mm can motor of 3,600 KV. The build is a slight pain in the butt. Flying her is easy as she has a flat bottom wing. The wings are very thin and landings can be a chore as she will just keep on floating. You need a decent run and a good hard toss for the launch. The rolls are so so ... not that axial.

I would say go with the Twister, it might cost more but you will enjoy her a lot. Small EDFs are not that much fun to fly. I think the LYNX should be a good flying plane ...
Old 12-29-2007, 10:26 AM
tIANci

ORIGINAL: Beamshipcaptain

God Bless the Chinese people! They've even got a succesful manned space program, and will probably beat us back to the Moon!
Hehehehee ... we like you Westerners too! Hahahaha ... anyways, the counter rotation heli that is sold by Hobby Lobby called the COCO LAMA is not sold in Asia for only a mere USD67. Its cheap ...
Old 12-29-2007, 12:06 PM
206driver

I looked @ that twister model on hobby-lobby.com. Seems like a nice flying airplane. Only draw back I see in comparison like you said is the price. It's close to $200 and requires more expensive equipment also such is a 45A ESC. I know that "quality" usually costs more in this sport, but I like to find some sort of a compromise.

I saw that (thunderbird) model. It runs $130.00 yet only requires an 18A ESC; castle has a better version than the recommended one for a little less. Though I'm not sure if when running a jet you would need anything more from an ESC than it to tell the motor "off or on". There is a similiar model to the thunderbird calle(FIREBIRD), however in its' demo video it doesn't seem to scream or roll as good as the T-Bird.

Does anyone have one of these or seen one perform with the out of the box set-up?

Dave
Old 12-31-2007, 01:05 AM
tIANci

Hobby Lobby does not sell lemons ... only planes.