Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

sapac typhoon

Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sapac typhoon

Well i got to fly the prototype yesterday all i can say is wow!!!
here's a video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B1szW_gHElM

thanks eddie for letting fly it
Old 01-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Default RE: sapac typhoon

Have to ask a personal question! Are you that good or is the Typhoon that stable? That is an extremely impressive flight video, high alfa, and touch & goes! Like you said, "WOW".

I Clean H2O
Old 01-15-2008, 11:48 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Very impressive jet.

What are the dimensions? Also, would it do well on a grass field? Wheels seem to be rather small for grass fields.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:58 PM

alright here are the dimension:
length 43"
ws 30"
one 64 mm fan
3s 2100mah
as for flying off grass the landing gear could be taken off
and hand launch.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Do you have any idea when this is going to be released???
Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 PM

Theres a batch coming in next month.
there website is: http://shop.sapacamerica.com/
Old 07-28-2008, 08:02 PM

I ordered a Sapac Typhoon today, has anyone else flown one of these or have any advise for me.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2008, 10:16 PM
My Feedback: (59)

Move the ESC down into the intake! I personally know several people that left the ESC under the canopy, only to see it burn up in flight.
I moved the esc down in the the intake on mine and have not had a single issue with it.

Joey
Old 07-30-2008, 04:37 AM

Thanks Joe, I was thinking of replacing the stock ESC with a better one, what do you think?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 AM

that's amazing.... I was all set that the rafale was going to be my next plane but the slow flight there was just amazing, plus it's a typhoon!

I think this may well be what I buy next
Old 07-30-2008, 01:33 PM

Same here Rusty, when I saw that slow fly by I was sold, I'm just worried about the cheap ESC that comes with these birds. I'm going to replace it, what ESC should I get for this plane?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:06 PM

found somewhere in the uk that sells these birds bare... just the airframe and fan.

I think i'm going to have to get it. I can't not get it... this isn't even fair. My Trojan might have to sacrifice it's spektrum receiever and upgraded ESC until i can afford to buy replacements.

check out this awesome paint job from over on rcgroups (hope the guy doesn't mind!)

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/at...6-DSC00217.jpg

looks incredible!

Old 07-30-2008, 03:22 PM

I ordered it ready to fly and I'm going to replace the reciever with a Futaba 2.4 and up grade the ESC to a 40 amp and I think it will be good to go.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:13 PM

sigh.... I ordered it.

The guys recommended me a motor which they have found to give it awesome performance off a 3s lipo - it's a 5100kv [sm=omg_smile.gif] outrunner with an extension so it sits out from the unit and gets cooled by the airflow. Paired that with a simple 50A opto ESC and a zippy 2200mah 20C 3s lipo.

I'll be stealing the UBEC and Spektrum rx from my trojan until I can afford to get spares.... should be an nice setup overall

Now I need to decide on a paint scheme! had fun painting my Trojan, and that isn't half as sexy a starting point as this!
Old 07-30-2008, 04:29 PM

Rusty I have heard that the manual does not show the CG, did the guys tell you anything about it's location?
Old 07-30-2008, 05:43 PM

I've been reading the big thread on rcgroups and the manufacturer there was recommending:

The CG it should be upside down....when you balance it...

CG for Euro from leading edge were the wing meets the
fuse measured inverted good neutral position a little nose have to start 150mm back

The next thing is Batteries ....they are using 2250mah 3s

only one (1) battery...with the CG around 150mm to 160mm

On 2250mah 4s the CG is 160mm to 170mm+...

Your 4000mah battery will not fit....and can not balance for the CG

Now for the Euro Throws:

For level flight with 2250mah 4s battery you need 9.52500 millimeters reflex on both right and left wings you need UP on both wings 9.52500 millimeters reflex on both for level flight and to hand launch....Starting Point you may have to change it a bit...

On 2250mah 4s battery it will use 37 to 39 amps and around 560 watts....

maximum up (both wings) 19.05 millimeters to 25.4 millimeters

maximum down (both wings) 19.05 millimeters to 25.4 millimeters

maximum left (left wing/right wing) 19.05 millimeters to 25.4 millimeters

maximum right (left wing/right wing) 19.05 millimeters to 25.4 millimeters

This is what I use...

Slow/3-d flight I fly mine with the below, but that might be to touchy for fast flight.

max up left/rt wings 38.1mm+
max down left/rt wings 31.75+
max right turn left/rt wings 38.1mm+
max left turn left/rt wings 38.1mm+

So now you have some type of setup for your Euro..

I hope this helps for the new fliers that just got they Euro...

Each Euro will be different, weight of the lipo's, if you use paint and so on....it's up to you how you like the Euro to handle...

most people seemed to be finding 150 back from the LE too nose heavy, although that was admittedly with the 4s. I think somewhere around 160 would probably be perfect, the manufacturer implied that the 150 was a good starting point but might be a bit nose heavy for some so tweak it back as required.

Unfortunately I now have to wait for a shipment to come in, should be next week though...

this paint scheme is pretty awesome, bit beyond my ability (especially since i don't have an airbrush!) though

Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 PM

So 150mm to 160mm from the leading edge is ok.
I wonder why it's ok the CG move on the wing if you put a bigger battery in, shouldn't it be in the same location on the wing no matter which battery you use?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:36 PM

I'm guessing the there's a thrust pitch couple...

The extra thrust must push the nose down more.

Let me know how you get on with yours mate, this week's going to be a long wait! Bit scared I'll turn it into a lawn dart straight away (first EDF!) but if i can cope with the trojan fairly well i should be able to at least safely fly this one if i don't get too adventurous too soon eh?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:53 PM

No worries mate just dial in alot of expo, it tames all the wild beasts. I have never flown a EDF either but I fly helis and the Typhoon can't be that much of a hand full. Just have alot of speed when you take off and a calm day.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:56 AM

yeah, I'll be expo-ing it out the wazoo lol.

Mocked up a quick paintjob on photoshop - pretty much straight taken from the FMS rafale because I thought that plane looks lurvely and got me looking at EDF's to begin with. also minimal work haha. What do you think?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: rusty_y2k2

that's amazing.... I was all set that the rafale was going to be my next plane but the slow flight there was just amazing, plus it's a typhoon!

I think this may well be what I buy next
I have both the Euro and the Rafale, I would rate the Rafale better than the Euro, however I do have a good time with the Euro as well. The Rafale will fly just as slow, if not slower, I can get it to 0 airspeed, and it seems to penetrate the wind way better.

The misses with the Euro are No rudder, but one can be easily installed, Esc should be upgraded, mine is rated at 30amps yet my motor pulls 42amps at wot, and if you are going to hand launch it and not use the landing gear, beef up the intake area.

Regards!
Joey

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88053.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1001319  
Old 07-31-2008, 01:09 PM

awesome side by side Joe - I've been trying to find a pic like that!

I intend to install a functional rudder, so that's not a problem, I do love the look of the rafale but I decided to go with national pride since they both seem to fly so well anyway! the included bombs and fuel tanks are a bonus too (draggy but beautiful lol), plus i found a uk supplier for the typhoon. ESC isn't a problem since I'm going with my own setup rather than the stock electronics.

Given I'm adding a rudder, and that I'm going with decent electronics including a more powerful motor than stock how would you think they'll compare? Hopefully I'll add some lightweight retracts before too long as well.

Can i ask what expo you run on the typhoon? looking for some starting figures to go on. Any tips for a newbie to EDF?

Thanks joe, and nice planes!
Old 07-31-2008, 01:09 PM

I just picked up a Phoenix 45 ESC and an R607FS reciever for my soon to arrive Typhoon. Is it easy to upgrade the motor and if so what motor is good for this bird?
Thanks
A buudy of mine has the Rafale so I wanted to be different.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:10 PM

Im using 25% expo on mine 7/8" elevator on high rate and 5/8" on low rate. ailerons are at 5/8". It is a real forgiving airframe. IF your going to use a 3s in the 2100 range you will probably want to add some lead to the tail. Every Euro I have seen is a bit on the nose heavy side.

I have no real complaints about the motor, Sapac just needs to upgrade the ESC. One guy I know is running 4s 2000mah on his Euro and the motor seems to handle it just fine.l

And you may want to add a positive 1/8" reflex in the elevons. If you don't you will probably be adding a bunch of up trim on the first flight.

Post a flight report!

Joey
Old 07-31-2008, 06:49 PM

Wilco old bean! hopefully it'll be a happy one... any chance of ROG if the grass is nice and short and one lowers the rear gear to give a better AoA? there's a good 1/4 mile of it at least so distance shouldn't be an issue lol. my trojan takes off okay from it, and did even before i changed to bigger wheels but I know EDF can be a bit harder to get going on the green stuff. Thanks for the settings btw.

Tarro - everyone seems to think the motor works okay, especially off 4s. The main reason I'm going with something else is because i'm just buying the barbones airframe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.