Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

FUNJET

Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FUNJET

Gryphon ... DRY ICE came to mind! Its not that heavy and in that little fuse she will last easily for 3-4 mins. Great cooling I am sure. Heheheheee ...
Old 04-17-2009, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm......... self contained radiator jacket system. Much like water cooled jacket in RC boats. Hmmmm................ Must return to base and think about this.

Could this be the solution to exceed 180mph?????????
Over run the motor yet keeping it cold.

Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cp
Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 AM

How about CO2 injection? Cooler still? I got my new FJ ready ... with the HET 2W-25 with a 4S set up. I wanna see how much fun she will be.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:20 AM

F.Y.I....Hobby People has the FJ on sale thru Mon 4/20/09 for $59.99.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: S.D.McCRAWLEY

F.Y.I....Hobby People has the FJ on sale thru Mon 4/20/09 for $59.99.
Yeah I saw that, but where showing out of stock. That's the first time I have seen a FJ on sale.
Cp
Old 04-19-2009, 03:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys.
Question for you guys. I finally put my FUnJet together. The build is complete. I did it right built for speed. It's entirley glassed .56oz fibercloth with carbon reinforcments in wing and fuse. Some decent servos and all pained up. I was getting ready to do my maiden when I did one more quick full open throttle run and puff gray smoke out the back not a good sign. I'm using an ARC 28-47-2 with a heatsink / pc heatsync grease and after 10 seconds motor sarted smoking. Now it's totally toast. 80AMP ESC and aeronaut carbon 6x4 prop. 2650mamp 4S 20c battery. Did I over prop the motor? I was thinking I would gradually be able to put a 6x5 and then 6x5.5 prop on this surley not. Any one have any experience with the ARC motors? What's the largest prop I should be using? It ran fine on 3S 2200 25C. Gees I've only had a few handfull of flights on my Stryker now need to go shopping again. Recomendations on new motors? Should I call ARC? Did I overprop? To be honest I had the impression that these motor's were work horses did I get a dud? Anyway enjoy the pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61706.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1183412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23890.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1183413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47716.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1183414  
Old 04-20-2009, 02:44 AM

Fidy ... I think it may be a dud, your motor is a 2,100KV motor. I have run motors that size and KV with a 6S set up on a 4.75 x 4.75. On 4S a 6x4 should not be that much prop for that motor. But I may be wrong. Did you not put a watt meter to her? Invest in one!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:04 AM
My Feedback: (29)

we had one smoke like yours on maiden and crashed after loss of power, left wing and wing tips broke, not very happy was using 80 amp speed drive and a a123 of some kind, wanted speed, got smoke , not a good day left a hyperion charger on the bumper and it is gone too .frank
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 AM

Fidy

I would call ARC. Tell them exactly what you did. It may have over amped on a 4 cell. 3 cell you would be Ok

4 cell and the amps jump.

I had a MicroDan motor smoke and it was due to a loose 4mm connector on the wire from the motor. So check all connections too. Motor is most likely toast[:@]
On 4cell start with a 4.7x4.7 APC and work up 5.5x4.5 may be the max. You need to get a RC watt meter.
Cp
Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 AM

Work is SLOWLY being done on the new FJ

I placed the rx outside the battery bay. I'm using Hitec electron 6. It is the same thickness as the wing root. in the past, using the MicroDan custom 2900kv motor, I had problems getting the CG just right. due to the fact of the RX getting in the way. NO More. AS the picture show I have a huge space now. The pictures also show the final coat of super lite weight spackle to cover up mistakes etc. I should be finished Friday.
By placing the rx in the right wing it is now balanced.

Cp
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26224.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1185107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74504.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1185108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30552.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	1185109  
Old 04-22-2009, 06:43 PM

Motor is toast. I'm going to work with David and see if I can get a replacement for another project. I'm going with a Medusa 28-59-1900 based on Gryphon's recomendation for the Fj. I've also ordered a couple of 30c 5S 3000 and 3200mamp batteries. What size prop's would you recommend I start out with and work my way up? The prop's I have may be too big. I've currently have a 6x4, 6x5,and 6x5.5. Watt mete is on order.

ORIGINAL: chippedprop

Fidy

I would call ARC. Tell them exactly what you did. It may have over amped on a 4 cell. 3 cell you would be Ok

4 cell and the amps jump.

I had a MicroDan motor smoke and it was due to a loose 4mm connector on the wire from the motor. So check all connections too. Motor is most likely toast[:@]
On 4cell start with a 4.7x4.7 APC and work up 5.5x4.5 may be the max. You need to get a RC watt meter.
Cp
Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 PM

Fidy

On 5 c batterys 6x5.5 to 7x6 on a Stryker airframe (using motor calc)
Amps 70 to 56 at full throttle
MPH 116
FunJET amps will be much lower due to reduced drag..........speed wil be much higher.

In my exp. you can get a little more speed on a 4 cell with the right mix of prop using this low kv motor. I'll post or have Gryphon post as he knows more about the right mix as he has flown this type set up before. On 5 cels you reach a point where things just level off.
I'll be in touch.
Cp
Old 04-22-2009, 10:14 PM

I would have thought that the higher in cell count i would have to go down in size of prop and pitch? This is a diffrent motor though. I don't think many have ventured with a 7x6 on Fj that sounds like it would be a total monster. Speaking of which anyone know some good DIY launch mounts. LOL I"m not about to hand launch a Fj with a 7x6 prop that's a pretty big prop although i'm extremely excited that its feasable on this setup. Everything is on order new batts and motor coming. Plane is already to go. I still don't have a single flight on her yet. I'm thinking for my maiden I use a 3S 4000mamp 20c just to get trim levels set. Then make room for big batts.

Thanks for the help.
ORIGINAL: chippedprop

Fidy

On 5 c batterys 6x5.5 to 7x6 on a Stryker airframe (using motor calc)
Amps 70 to 56 at full throttle
MPH 116
FunJET amps will be much lower due to reduced drag..........speed wil be much higher.

In my exp. you can get a little more speed on a 4 cell with the right mix of prop using this low kv motor. I'll post or have Gryphon post as he knows more about the right mix as he has flown this type set up before. On 5 cels you reach a point where things just level off.
I'll be in touch.
Cp
Old 04-24-2009, 03:31 PM

I have a stock stryker (the brushless one) i need a new prop which one should i buy, the original one that came with the motor was a 6 x 4 but i bought an apc elecrtic 6 x 4 and the preformance was dismal, any help would be apperciated
Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: gazza3535

I have a stock stryker (the brushless one) i need a new prop which one should i buy, the original one that came with the motor was a 6 x 4 but i bought an apc elecrtic 6 x 4 and the preformance was dismal, any help would be apperciated
That's strange. The org. prop I think is a 6x4.
Let's check a couple of things
1-how many flights is on the battery?
2-what happened to make you purchase a new prop?
3- did you make sure the new prop was on correctly, the size numbers stamped on the prop face the nose-did you tighten the new prop?
4- Plane involved in any serious crashes?
Let's start here
cp
Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 PM

I'll post updated pics. of the new FJ on Sat.
It's going to look great and fly great!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 01:34 AM

I finally maidened my new FJ today, HET 2W-25, 4S, 4.75x4.75 ... she is not fast, I estimate about 80 mph max. Weird thing is this. She will torque roll on full throttle. I had to use a Throttle-Aileron mix at 5%. I have done 3S, 4S and 6S set ups before but never have I experienced this. Anyone can tell me why?
Old 04-25-2009, 03:33 AM

I fly off concrete and when landing if the prop stops in the vertical position it starts to wear the ends down i have a couple of batterys they both have about 10 to 12 flights on them, the props on corectly, no crashes at all, the only difference that i have noticed between the standard prop and the apc prop is that the boss on the apc prop is thinner and I have to put a couple of washers on it to make sure that it tight
Old 04-25-2009, 06:48 AM

ORIGINAL: tIANci

I finally maidened my new FJ today, HET 2W-25, 4S, 4.75x4.75 ... she is not fast, I estimate about 80 mph max. Weird thing is this. She will torque roll on full throttle. I had to use a Throttle-Aileron mix at 5%. I have done 3S, 4S and 6S set ups before but never have I experienced this. Anyone can tell me why?
Roll
Check the vert fins any twist or 1 fin off vert
check the wings for twist or is 1 higher ( off level plain then the other)
Motor off center...angled to 1 side??
Motor
mfg states up to 6cells
that motor should rock as it has low resist. watt meter and go to a steeper pitch prop
Old 04-25-2009, 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: gazza3535

I fly off concrete and when landing if the prop stops in the vertical position it starts to wear the ends down i have a couple of batterys they both have about 10 to 12 flights on them, the props on corectly, no crashes at all, the only difference that i have noticed between the standard prop and the apc prop is that the boss on the apc prop is thinner and I have to put a couple of washers on it to make sure that it tight
1-buy a new prop adapter...make sure you have the numbers on the prop facing towards the motor....this is a normial mistake
2-check or have someone check your charger to make sure it's not the issue...looking for it NOT giving full charge.
Charge your batterys on another charger...see if it makes a diff.
Try a new stock prop if the same condition is still there then it's.....charger....ESC.....motor

3-Use a lite weight..thin oil on the motor 1 drop per each end
4-Purchase a new prop APC 5.5x4.5 make sure the numbers on the prop face towards the motor
next fix will be new batterys... charger and or motor and ESC

Old 04-25-2009, 07:21 AM

Speaking about props which props should we buy to get the best performance: There are several manufactures out there.

APC has serveral prop's. Some people are now using gas props? Give us a couple of diffrent options and where you buy them.

I've got several graupner speed props are these any good?
aeronaut carbon props?
I've also heard to get APC Pylon props but cant find these
I would think that we stay away from APC E props
what about the APC Gas Sport props.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:16 AM

Chipped ... I will go with a 5x5 tomorrow. Shall check the build etc. Hmmm ... but at 50% throttle she flies straight. Totally level, no roll at all ...
Old 04-25-2009, 11:37 AM

A couple more questions guys:
Anyone thought about drilling some cooling holes on the bottom of fuse instead of scoops? My Pz F4U Corsair has several large cooling holes on the bottom seems to be pretty effective.

Speed Competitions
Do they have competions or even record holding events for fastest foam planes based on what ever criteria? There can't be a whole lot of foam planes running 150+MPH is there?

How are you guys gauging air speed? I hear the onboard speed / gps arn't the most accurate. What about police radar guns? I hear dopler radar?
Anyone know how to do the dopler thing. I hear you need a video camera, laptop at the field loaded with some free software and a microphone is a good way to meausre speed.

It's fun to say your Fj is fast but I'd like to know how fast it really is.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Fidy$Trainer

Speaking about props which props should we buy to get the best performance: There are several manufactures out there.

APC has serveral prop's. Some people are now using gas props? Give us a couple of diffrent options and where you buy them.

I've got several graupner speed props are these any good?
aeronaut carbon props?
I've also heard to get APC Pylon props but cant find these
I would think that we stay away from APC E props
what about the APC Gas Sport props.
All that you listed are great. I'm waiting on an order form Tower Hobbys. All are APC props with 2 being CF. If you run a low kv motor you can run a 7 inch prop. Low being 1700 to 1900 kv range. I run high KV motors 2700 to 2900 range so I have to run smaller props.
You want only props designed for high rpms. E props are low speed and may fly apart at high rpms. It all depends on your own set up and the amps drawn.
Cp
Old 04-25-2009, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Chipped ... I will go with a 5x5 tomorrow. Shall check the build etc. Hmmm ... but at 50% throttle she flies straight. Totally level, no roll at all ...
I know your scratching your head over this. Something has to be off and is only showing it's self at high speed. If it's torque you would be rolling at launch....so it has to be a wing twist. Do you have CF tubes in the wing?? Any fiber glass on the wing?? What about a weak servo losing center hold at speed??? Pictures may help. Check the plane in diff. lighting....look close.
Cp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.