Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 High perf. EDF for 3 cell 3300mah? >

High perf. EDF for 3 cell 3300mah?

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

High perf. EDF for 3 cell 3300mah?

Old 02-10-2008, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High perf. EDF for 3 cell 3300mah?

I am looking to purchase my second edf. I have plenty of 3 cell 3300mah 20c packs that weigh 290grams. I want something moderately to very fast but still not too expensive. Balsa or foam construction is fine. Also an ARF without fan I could use a united hobbies fan in would work out fine for me. Just let me know what would be the best power system to use from united. Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: High perf. EDF for 3 cell 3300mah?

Fast EDF planes are never cheap. If you want to enjoy EDF flying you might be able to look into the Twister from Multiplex. Its one of the best EDF that I have flown, not too fast but you really enjoy flying her. Just nice for your 3,300 mAh packs. That plane packs a 69 mm fan.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High perf. EDF for 3 cell 3300mah?

Bbagle1,

Unfortunately, the words fast and inexpensive do not relate very well when it comes to EDF. I would be very surprised if you find a stock foamy EDF that can do 100+ mph, which is in the speed range of performance EDF's. Minifan sized jets would be your best bet for entry into performance EDF and all of them can break 100mph. I recommend you go to www.warbirds-rc.com and check out the selection they have there. You will find ARF balsa and fiberglass kits in the range from $125-$200 and power plants to include the HET6904 Minifan, HET-RC 2W Motor and Tsunami 54A ESC will run another $150. Add a couple servos, a receiver and your battery and you are ready to go. I would highly recommend you go this route if you are looking to get into entry level Performance EDF. Moreover, there is a great abundance of models available in the Minifan sized aircraft, so you could move your power plant from jet to jet as desired....a nice option to have available. If this is too pricey for you, then high performance EDF's are not what you should be asking about...you can't have performance without a modest expenditure. If this is not what you are looking for or is too expensive, I would suggest you stick with the foamy ARF park fliers like the Alfa's, or some of the others that have decent performance. Funny thing is, some of the foamies are actually more expensive than a good quality performance EDF and they don't offer the speed or re-usability that the higher end EDF's offer. I could never understand why one would go that route, but everyone has a preference and I say to each his own. It's your call, but you have to decide how much you plan on spending...this will determine how "fast", although the biggest expense is already behind you as you have several battery packs ready to fit.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Carl