Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 SU-47 RTF EDF  too good to be true? >

SU-47 RTF EDF too good to be true?

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

SU-47 RTF EDF too good to be true?

Old 07-20-2008, 02:25 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SU-47 RTF EDF too good to be true?

good luck with your new jet! i just got my first edf from bananahobby. it was the riccs mirage, and it's junk, unfortunately. i got one decent flight out of it, and two crashes (it is now destroyed). better luck with yours, please post a flight report......thanks. rob
Old 07-27-2008, 04:53 PM

Hey Dave have you flown that bird yet?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 PM

Hi guys, Sorry it took so long to update. I got it out on July 25th (my Birthday) and it flew great. One of the alerons was a bit loose so it made for some scary rolls, but I was able to compensate for it, and it flew fine with some adjustment.

Landing..............

well....

It took me 5 passes to get it "low and slow" with a long enough glide power-on slope to set it down flat as there is not much room for a nose up-tail down dragging ont eh pavement without damages height to the scale gear ride. Once it touched both rear wheels down, I pushed down with a lot of nose flap, and it firmly planted the steering wheel on the ground. It still rolled fast !

I was 30 feet away from smashing into a curb, and I gave it some left steer input and it was too fast, and spunt eh front landing geer wheel around in a 90 degree angle and made a hard turn, and dragged thewing ont he pavement, but with the tape reinforcement it was fine. The tip was a little dog-eared, but was structuraly fine.

SO, the only real advice I can give is that It needs a LONG landing area, and good approach to stay flat and trim for the gear to have time to run the speed out of the plane as it really does not "glide" with out anything less than 1/3rd power...... but then again. its a combat jet, so it should come in hard and fast anyway.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:07 PM

dave i just got the plane and i'm still putting it together..but i'm stuck on the rods how the hell am i suppose to connect the rods to all three locations..and how did you get the body together without breaking parts?...lol i broke it trying to put it together..the plastic cone up front crumbled..lol
Old 08-11-2008, 10:55 PM

The nose cone crumbled?

Thats crazy weird!

there are spare parts available

The crooked "V" rods slide down and into the wing alerons and you just have to give it a little bit of flex, and they will line up into the adjustment heads. I also attached the servo head AFTER I had put the rod into the aleron, and then slid it into the tails. You will have to make a small hole in where the flaps meet the wing and fuselague so you can screw the Control Horn onto the servo.

HTH.

Oh, and I had my second Flight Yesterday.

It was cool
Old 08-12-2008, 08:16 AM

i was wondering why after the i turn on the plane and try out the flaps the connector would pop off the servo..also how did you get the front wheel to stay in place..i dont think i got the screw to connect to the servo..and the push rod your saying the the part where its a v-shape looking should be connected by the flaps and the servos correct. and how do i give it some flex?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:29 AM

ohh and when i said the nose cone crumbled i ment it just got pushed in and cracked in certain places but i put tape over the exposed areas..lol
Old 08-12-2008, 05:31 PM

dave would it be possible for you to take a pic of the bottom setup of your plane i just want to make sure i did it right..thank you..
Old 08-12-2008, 10:39 PM

bottom pf plane:

HTH.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:53 AM

thanks for the pic..that the same way i have mine set-up..but how do you have the rx hooked up..it number 3 your throttle? and i lost the front wheel connecter..lol because i did not have a screw to hold it place and i did not know how to hold it in place..also do you ever lose the little bolts from the connectors? i dropped 3 of them yesterday and that was just from taxi around the parking lot..i managed to find 2 of them..lol did you do anything diffrent?
sorry for all the questions i am really new to the planes
Old 08-13-2008, 02:51 PM

here is a pic of mine..

how does the link look to you?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:04 PM

nice jet, makes me wish i bought this su-47 instead of the FIY f-22 i bought. i havent flown it yet, but i'm only slightly dissapointed with it so far. mine came with some small scars on the foam (you know when you apply pressure on the foam it leaves an imprint?)
and my one of my fan blades broke when i turned it on for the first time. otherwise im fine

is the bottom of your su-47 fuselage made of foam? b/c the bottom of mine is sheet plastic. so no belly landing for me...

also, are you happy with the speed controllers it came with?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Big joe, I don't know what connectors you are talking about. I blue loc tite my stuff anyway.

The links look just about right

As to the esc, the instructions say where they should be plugged into. Ya just have to actualy READ a bit

MCS, the belly is foam. The ESC's seem fine to me. No issues (yet).
Old 08-14-2008, 08:57 AM

yes the belly is foam..
i have to read..lol funny..hahahaha j/k
but yeah i just want to know when you want to make the plane take off do you have to move the joy stick up into the corner for both flaps can be in the take off position? i know i am saying this wrong..lol
and you know whats funny i have blue lock stuff right nest to my nirto rc car and i did not even think about that..lol i guess i will be putting that on later today.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:38 PM

Joe sounds liek you have not set up the D.I.P. switches (see WITCHES comment picture). sounds like your TX channel mixing is set wrong. they don't come set from the factory. you should just have to pull back (down) on the stick and they go "up".
You may also have your servos wires in the wrong channel slots.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:53 AM

how do you have your setup? also in the rx where do you have the sterring control hook up to?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:48 AM

Joe, the manual isn't quite clear on it, but "rudder" is another word for "Steering" (left/right).

Channel 4 should be the front wheel. I believe the DIP switches in the manual say you have to reverse it.

HTH.

Did yours come with a AC/DC power pack wall adapter?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:21 PM

no it did not come with a power pack..but i have my power supply from my h22e heli so its the same connection... and i changed the steering to the 4th channel today but i still dont think i have it right..can you post a pic of your setup?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:25 AM

LEFT IS RIGHT...

meaning, since you are searing from behind the wheel, the steering is reversed.

flip the plane over onto its wheels and you have to push it on the ground and steer it. you will understand then.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:12 AM

dave i noticed you said your su-47 package didnt come with an AC adapter. my FIY f-22 also didn't have one

so what did you use to supply power to the lipo? i bought an AC adapter somewhere but my battery won't charge on it. the red light on the balancer lights up but the green light doesnt.
i know my battery is on low power b/c my ESC's gave the beep warnings.

and my AC adapter package said it is made to charge lead acid batteries. that's probably why....
Old 08-17-2008, 11:58 AM

any AC/DC adapter can be used. I have one fro an ESTES 9.6V airplane that I use. You have to make sure the plug is set up in the correct +/- sheild/ground (FUTABA) style if memory serves me.

Any 12-14V 800mAh to 1200mAh wall adapter should work. check to see of the output on your charger is high enough. Chances are the wall adapter is around 600 mAh output and is not enough juice to charge it.

I used to be able to say "Go to Radio Shack" but they are not the same store anymore. They really don't have hardware anymore.... Just a retail junk shop, but you may find a suitable powerpack there.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:32 PM

yea, i've been to radio shack to look for AC adapters after seeing that hobbytown USA doesnt sell any. Radio shack is expensive!! The adapter itself is $30 and the plug going to the balancer is another $6. not to mention tax
I got my adapter for $20 at Frys

so i just did some more measurements.. the adapter itself produced enough volts.. labeled 12V (1 Amp) it produced about 12.3 or so. i tried measuring mAh but it didnt give a reading. i think my measuring tool sucked up too much pwr
i mesured the li-po battery itself and it gave 11.3 volts

so then i tried using my car battery.. same result. so my dad thinks the problem is the balancer or the battery, most likely the balancer..
Old 08-20-2008, 02:34 PM

I just bought an su47 from raidentec and have not had that good of luck with it. First , like many out there I found that the servos were junk. One of them didn't work right out of the box. Second , they lie when they say the plane is rtf. I have had less work on many arf's that I have put toghether! The directions are worthless. I have been flying for 10 years and still had trouble trying to set up the control surfaces to move in the right direction. My first flight lasted less than 2 seconds after a 100' plus take off run.I am going to try and rebuild whats left and try again this weekend. The bird looks WAY better than it flys. You can see my first fight at betterbringabucket.com. Good luck! AlB
Old 10-21-2008, 08:52 PM

I ordered an SU47, spare nose cone and a horn/rod set a week ago and today I received the box. In the box was an F22 Raptor, a damaged SU47 nose cone and NO horn/rod set. I thought the Raptor was flimzy and cheap looking and I figured the SU47 would be no better so I sent it back and cancelled my order. I would not buy anything from NitroModels ever again and would not recommend them to anyone.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:28 AM

hey guys, how was everyones flight time this summer?
well just to let you guys know i never got to fly the plane it has just been sitting in my office right behind me and now i am going to sell it, so if any of you guys are interested let me know, make me a offer, the nose needs to be replaced and you need a new steering front wheel, unless you have spare parts. i bought the plane for $200 and i will let it go for $75, i am in ny so i can meet you half way if your far or i can just come straight to you. and i do going into CT on the weekends just incase anyone is up that way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.