Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

'Am I ready for a jet?' & other questions you've heard too many times...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

'Am I ready for a jet?' & other questions you've heard too many times...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:40 AM
deli_conker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Am I ready for a jet?' & other questions you've heard too many times...

Let me start with the disclaimer that I am self taught and hold a degree from the school of hard knocks...

I started with a 2 channel Firebird several years ago. It found a tree one day and never flew again. I didn't replace it, but one day my interest in RC was sparked once again. Boy oh boy, that 4 channel Art-Tech Cessna I got off ebay looked real good until I found the ground with it during it's maiden flight. Later that afternoon, I had a GWS Slo-Stick up in the air. Very relaxing. I must admit that it felt good to not wreck. I flew this for a few months and then decided that it was time to get something more risque. I went to the lhs and picked up a GWS DHC2-Beaver. It flew like the Slo-Stick. Too much like the Slo-Stick...

So I bought a brushless setup (hacker motor, somewhere around 6,000kv on a 3s 1320 thunder power). I slapped that sucker into the existing gearbox and reinforced the wings with packing tape (fiberglass strands). The next morning I took it the park and had a big smile the whole time. That's more like it. It was like having a Ferrari engine in a Toyota Corolla. That thing was one of my favorite planes (R.I.P.). No, I didn't wreck it. Not even a single questionable landing. I had the plane down from it's shelf and turned my back on my two year old in seconds the plane was no more. So I cried tears of joy as this gave me an excuse to get a new plane.

Currently I am flying an e-Starter. I have had it for about 2 years. No wrecks. No landing gear, so no bad landings either as they are all belly landings on grass. Not as fast as the Beaver due to the weight of the plane, but still fun to fly (using same motor, etc.). Even though you can fly it with the rudder, I made a point to not use it so I could actually learn how to use ailerons. I got busy with work lately and haven't flown for about a year (literally) but took it out yesterday and this morning. I think I fly better now than I did a year ago even without any real world practice (I play with G3 every now and then). Now I want a jet. I understand that there is a big difference between the physics involved. I have also played around with the jets in G3. Personally, I can't tell the difference in the way the controls act in simulation when comparing a jet/pusher to a regular prop plane, but I know from reviews and articles that it does indeed fly differently.

Anyways, there are two planes I want. The first is going to be used to learn the way a pusher handles and the second is one that I really want. Both are from Hobby-Lobby. Neither are on their website yet. They are in their Spring/Summer 2008 catalog (Olaf at HL told me that they will be in mid-May). The first is the Free Air JAS-39 gripen EPP ARF (elevons). I would run this with the suggested motor/esc/battery. It's on page 33 if you have the catalog. The second plane is the Star Max F5-E Tiger EDF (page 40). I would want to know how to fly a jet before flying this one as it is way too cool to meet it's demise at my hands.

So, is my first choice a decent one as far as learning curve is concerned? Is there a standard 'beginner' jet? Is there anything else I should consider when making my first jet purchase?

Thanks...
Old 04-20-2008, 02:35 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 'Am I ready for a jet?' & other questions you've heard too many times...

Since no-one has really flown those two yet (as they aren't available foe the masses yet) It's hard to answer if they are right for a beginner. As I have numerous Df jets - I'd say the best trainer out there is the GWS F-15. Very sweet flying qualities and rock solid.

Think of it as a jet powered E-starter (yes - I have both)
Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 AM
deli_conker

Default RE: 'Am I ready for a jet?' & other questions you've heard too many times...

ORIGINAL: skyhawknut

Since no-one has really flown those two yet (as they aren't available foe the masses yet) It's hard to answer if they are right for a beginner. As I have numerous Df jets - I'd say the best trainer out there is the GWS F-15. Very sweet flying qualities and rock solid.

Think of it as a jet powered E-starter (yes - I have both)
Good points. I guess I was wondering due to the fact that it's designed similar to other jets and some sort of comparison might be possible (apples to apples).

I checked out some videos and other info on the GWS F-15 and calling it a jet powered e-starter looks like a good comparison. Tower has them for $125 or so, but I'd have to pick up two ESC's. Any other cheaper places that you know of?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:33 PM
deli_conker

So I am now in possession of a GWS F-15.

Looking through the manual, it seems there are 2 ways of setting it up. One is ailerons and elevator separate, the other is to set it up with elevons.

I've flown planes with both thus far. Which one is going to be easier to learn with? I'm guessing the elevons will make for a milder plane (I could be way off base though).
I'm all ears to any experience anybody has to offer...
Old 06-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

deli, maybe look at something like the Thunderbird or Firebird from HL. Kinda looks like a Stryker, but it's got an EDF instead of a prop. Might hold up a little better for your learning curve vs a thin winged fighter.

I bought the Thunderbird on one of HL's crash sales, nice little bird. Thing with it, you can change the exhaust diameter to give you lower speed/ more thrust, or higher speed/ lower thrust easily.

Biggest thing you'll need to learn on an EDF is planning ahead. Unlike instant reaction, like you get from a prop, you have a lag as the EDF spools up.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 AM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

Ohh........You bought one already? There were a few things you could have done to make life easier (different motors) but no matter - It'll do.

I suppose you bought the one with motors and all?