Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 DF to electric conversion >

DF to electric conversion

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

DF to electric conversion

Old 05-05-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DF to electric conversion

I have a Yellow AC F4. Dynamax/OS.91 powered. I want to convert it to electric. Jet Hanger Hobbies has a 5" electric fan that should fit and I've looked at the BVM electric fans but the Viojett is slightly smaller.

What choices do I have? Fan/battery combos? Any recommendations?

Allen

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41774.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	943295  
Old 05-05-2008, 03:23 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: DF to electric conversion

I saw some planes with the BVM units in them flying at last years liberty bell jet rally and was very impressed with the speed and power, very smooth and quiet...I am fortunate enough to live about a half hour from where its held, before they moved it from deck airport it was only 5 minutes from my house...
Old 05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you need to look over at rc groups in the EDF jets..lot's of info.. it's pretty slow in the forum

you have alot of options.. the shubler ds-94 is one of the best fans on the market.. with a nue motor 1527 on 12s 5000 packs you will have a rocket ship

you can get one for Tam Jets all set up ready to run..

There is nothing wrong with the E turbax from Jet Hanger its a good setup and cheaper than the others..

but fans like the DS-94 the TF-4000 or the Stumax were desinged as true EDFS from the start the bvm viofan and e-turbax are glow fans converted..

I have two DS 94 fans and the are just great

good luck you will love the ease of electric power..the sound is great and more power than you glow fan

Ron

Old 05-06-2008, 02:13 AM
My Feedback: (3)

The DS-94 or the TF-4000 are good ones. The 4000 has been used in the Yellow F-16 with great results and mates perfectly with the ducting. It is also the lightest and the whole system is one of the cheapest. However - the downside is you need to do some assembly of the fan (it's not plug and play) and the rotor is carbon, making it very expensive if you FOD it out. Also - it's made in Europe.

The E-Turbax is the best bang for the buck. Not quite as efficiant as the first two - but service is easy as they make it in CA, it is plug and play, and it also mates with the ducting. It is fairly cheap and has also flown a Yellow F-16 very well.

The BVM unit, while very nice, is the heaviest and most expensive. It also needs some radio mixing so you don't cook it. BVM does make a belmouth adapter so you can mate it to "other than BVM ducting" quite easily. Also easy to get service - and hey............it's BVM.

Personally - I would use the E-Turbax, but any of the mentioned units on 12S will fly it very nicely. The Stumax fan is also showing lots of promise - but it's smaller and you would need to mate it to the current ducting somehow. Ron is right - head over to "the other forum" and look around. Most people will steer you toward one of the first three, but like I said - any will fly it well.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:42 PM
My Feedback: (1)

You may be best served by getting a fully built and tested system. I have the BVM fan and it is a very high quality piece of equipment, though somewhat pricey. The good thing is that they will support you through thick and thin. That being said, my next choice would be Tamjets. Tam is very picky that his stuff goes out the door right and he will support you as well.

Regards, Bill