Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 Phase 3 F-16 maiden.....WOW >

Phase 3 F-16 maiden.....WOW

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Phase 3 F-16 maiden.....WOW

Old 06-16-2008, 09:51 PM
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Phase 3 F-16 maiden.....WOW

Sunday was the day for the first flights on my new F-16. I used the stock motor, fan, and ESC. As far as mods go, I added 1/32 ply top and bottom to the area where the stabilator pivots are, lined the battery compartment with the same size ply, and pushed small carbon fiber rod down the vertical stab.

This jet flys very well with outstanding performance even in the 10-15 MPH wind we had that day. Down wind was awesome, and it was respectable up wind as well. Vertical was not unlimited but very impressive. Two great flights with many more to follow, I'm sure.

Another guy at our field has one, and I am looking foreword to doing some formation with him.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46862.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	972135  
Old 06-17-2008, 08:22 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phase 3 F-16 maiden.....WOW

Maidened mine on Saturday too. All stock with a TP 2200 mAh 3 cell.

Same wind conditions and your description of the maiden was exactly what I experienced.

Walking back to the pavilion after the first flight, one of the peanut gallery sitting there says, "That's a keeper". I gotta agree. One fine flying model.

sp
Old 06-17-2008, 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: smperry

Maidened mine on Saturday too. All stock with a TP 2200 mAh 3 cell.

Same wind conditions and your description of the maiden was exactly what I experienced.

Walking back to the pavilion after the first flight, one of the peanut gallery sitting there says, "That's a keeper". I gotta agree. One fine flying model.

sp
Congrats!!! I see a pattern here. I also said out load, as I walked back after the first flight, 'it's a keeper'.

I used OEM equipment with a Hyerton LiteStorm cl 2100 3c. I took two with me and flew it twice. Both flights about 10 min with reserve power still left. I went to high rates on the second flight and really had some fun.

I wish three or four of us had these so we could try some air show stuff.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:55 AM

I've been having a ball flying my F-16, however a couple of problems have cropped up. I was hoping someone may have encountered and solved them.

I didn't like the look of the cooling hole the instructions said to make in the canopy. I had a TP 2150 mAh V2 3 cell puff up after a couple of flights. Has anyone else had battery cooling problems?

The other problem is more serious. I was flying along, away from me at about half throttle and fortunately plenty of altitude when the motor quit. I pulled a little up elevator to set up a glide and turn the model back toward me. No control response. I closed the throttle and waited a few seconds, then goosed it a bit to see if I could get it back. I got motor and control enough to turn back around and set up for a landing and then it all quit again. There wasn't enough altitude left to wait as long as I did before. The model glided in, but did so a bit nose down. The hard landing tore the front off the air scoop, but did no other damage.

The flight was not long or hard enough to run the battery down and I lost both servos as well as the motor. I am flying a Spektrum radio. The model has a 6100e Rx installed. The model responded to control and throttle inputs when I picked it up out in the field.

I think that the problem may lie in the ESC. I think these power systems push the limits and perhaps a bit past the ESC's limit. It is also possible that the radio is having binding issues, but I have had such good service out of my Spektrum (and am so heavily invested in the system) I don't (want to) think it is the radio.

Has anyone else had a similar problems in flight?

sp
Old 07-01-2008, 08:20 AM

I've been having a ball flying my F-16, however a couple of problems have cropped up. I was hoping someone may have encountered and solved them.

I didn't like the look of the cooling hole the instructions said to make in the canopy. I had a TP 2150 mAh V2 3 cell puff up after a couple of flights. Has anyone else had battery cooling problems?

The other problem is more serious. I was flying along, away from me at about half throttle and fortunately plenty of altitude when the motor quit. I pulled a little up elevator to set up a glide and turn the model back toward me. No control response. I closed the throttle and waited a few seconds, then goosed it a bit to see if I could get it back. I got motor and control enough to turn back around and set up for a landing and then it all quit again. There wasn't enough altitude left to wait as long as I did before. The model glided in, but did so a bit nose down. The hard landing tore the front off the air scoop, but did no other damage.

The flight was not long or hard enough to run the battery down and I lost both servos as well as the motor. I am flying a Spektrum radio. The model has a 6100e Rx installed. The model responded to control and throttle inputs when I picked it up out in the field.

I think that the problem may lie in the ESC. I think these power systems push the limits and perhaps a bit past the ESC's limit. It is also possible that the radio is having binding issues, but I have had such good service out of my Spektrum (and am so heavily invested in the system) I don't (want to) think it is the radio.

Has anyone else had a similar problems in flight?

sp
I didn't like the cooling hole in the canopy idea either. I added a hole just under the nose (I'll try to get a picture). It is about 1/2" in diameter and unnoticeable. seems to work well.

ESC...A friend had a similar problem with his. He also is using 2.4 Spektrum, but it was after 6 months of flying her. He wasn't sure yet what it was. Battery getting week, ESC, or what. I tend to think it is one of those and not the radio. It comes back like yours after reset.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:17 PM

Due to the fact that this is a fast moving lawn dart, I decided the only responsible thing to do is to replace both the Rx and the ESC. Normally I'd replace one and see if that fixed it and if not then replace the other. I got lucky that the model didn't skewer someone and I don't want to take the chance of that happening if I guess wrong about what to replace first.

I bought a 35 amp ESC with a built in heat sink to replace the 30 amp unit that came with the model. I'll swap Rx with another model that has never had any trouble. I doubt it is the Rx, but the F-16 is just too fast to take a chance of loosing control again.

I was real impressed that when I lost all control the model just kept going straight with only a little nose drop. It really does fly on rails.

Popping open the fuselage looks like some surgery involved, I'' try to post photos.

I'd sure like to see a photo of your air cooling hole under the nose.

sp
Old 07-01-2008, 04:57 PM

Due to the fact that this is a fast moving lawn dart, I decided the only responsible thing to do is to replace both the Rx and the ESC. Normally I'd replace one and see if that fixed it and if not then replace the other. I got lucky that the model didn't skewer someone and I don't want to take the chance of that happening if I guess wrong about what to replace first.

I bought a 35 amp ESC with a built in heat sink to replace the 30 amp unit that came with the model. I'll swap Rx with another model that has never had any trouble. I doubt it is the Rx, but the F-16 is just too fast to take a chance of loosing control again.

I was real impressed that when I lost all control the model just kept going straight with only a little nose drop. It really does fly on rails.

Popping open the fuselage looks like some surgery involved, I'' try to post photos.

I'd sure like to see a photo of your air cooling hole under the nose.

sp
I have my other computer fixed and will post a picture in a little while. Flew it again today. What a blast! At least 10 min flights and battery was only warm. Very nice.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:31 PM

Cooling hole.

Name:	Rp42330.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	982269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90874.jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	982270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13466.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	982271  
Old 07-01-2008, 07:02 PM

Looks like a good idea to me.

Well after tearing into the model, I found what I think is the problem. I found a questionable solder joint on the Deans connector on the battery. I still replaced the ESC and Rx to be sure as well as fixing the bad solder joint.

I took the opportunity to rip off the decals I made a hash of applying in the first place. I also gave it a gray paint job. I left the black around the cockpit and painted the upper surfaces of the wings a darker shade of gray to aid in orientation. Not scale by any means, but way less agregious than the white styro and kit stickers. (I have too much IPMS Scale Modeler still in me to call them decals ;-)

sp
Old 07-01-2008, 10:51 PM

She does look better in Grey IMO also. I'm going to install some missile rails as well.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:31 AM

I was going to install rails too, but one of the fields I fly at doesn't always have the shortest grass, so i decided to leave it alone rather than add something to get ripped off on landing.

Speaking of landings, how do you deal with the grass clippings that get pulled into the sir scoop and hang up on the stationary supports in the fan duct? I always land with the throttle off and try to flair with the nose up a bit so as not to scoop up so much grass, but if there is a single clipping on the field, it's going down the scoop.

The repairs and paint job added 2 oz to the AUW. It is noticable on launch. Takes a harder toss and sinks a bit more before accelerating away, though it picks up speed in a dive faster.

sp
Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 AM

Gray paint job.

Name:	Xv65350.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	982718  
Old 07-02-2008, 05:46 PM

I was going to install rails too, but one of the fields I fly at doesn't always have the shortest grass, so i decided to leave it alone rather than add something to get ripped off on landing.

Speaking of landings, how do you deal with the grass clippings that get pulled into the sir scoop and hang up on the stationary supports in the fan duct? I always land with the throttle off and try to flair with the nose up a bit so as not to scoop up so much grass, but if there is a single clipping on the field, it's going down the scoop.

The repairs and paint job added 2 oz to the AUW. It is noticable on launch. Takes a harder toss and sinks a bit more before accelerating away, though it picks up speed in a dive faster.

sp
I don't have any issues with grass. Both fields I belong to have nice grass strips. The one is like a golf course, and the other is well cared for too, but more bluegrass. I do get some clippings after a fresh cut, but they pose no problem.

Nice looking paint job. She looks a lot better than stock.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Oh I see that you're from Ohio. I'm in Florida and this is July. I mowed the yard today and it had grown 7 inches in the last 6 days. This time of year if it isn't mowed at least weekly, grass gets real tall real quick and if you do mow it you have a lot of clippings to deal with. Our club has some great guys who keep the grass knocked down, but 20 acres is a bit much to rake & bag.

It was a gray and overcast morning, but the two tone gray paint scheme showed up real well and I had no orientation problems other than when it was headed straight at me and then it kind of disappeared for a second, but it did that in the stock colors too.
sp
Old 07-03-2008, 01:36 PM

Been flying mine for over a year now! Awesome plane! I have an Alfa fan and 5 blade rotor with a Jet Screamer on 4S. It really rips quite well for a plane of this size and weight I added a rudder so I could do knife edges Here are some pic's of mine in Edwards AFB paint, and missles too. And here's a video.

http://media.putfile.com/Hobby-Peopl...m-Scream-Style

Name:	Xv64978.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	983347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17121.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	983348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58829.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	983349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96581.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	983350  
Old 07-03-2008, 05:59 PM

Very nice. What kind of speed do you think you get?
Old 07-04-2008, 04:49 PM

I just saw this marking scheme on my local IPMS plastic scale club's site.
http://www.percongrp.com/pelikan/aircraft/f16_el.htm

sp
Old 07-05-2008, 10:16 PM

Another nice outing with the little Phase 3. Another pilot (Brian) had his out as well and we were able to get a duel flight in. We got a mirror image pass in and a couple nice side by side imullman turns, and chased each other around. I did most of the chasing as his isn't stock as mine is.

Name:	Li20960.jpg
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	984713