Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Kyosho F-4 Phantom

Old 06-23-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho F-4 Phantom

Fly the jet fighter that ruled the skies across the world for a generation!

Commissioned in 1958 as America's main strike fighter, the F-4 PHANTOM is still in active service in many airforce's around the world today although it has now been officially retired from the American military. With a impressive history established over more than half a century, the more than 5,000 supersonic jets produced for the West is a record that still stands. KYOSHO is proud to reproduce the universally acclaimed performance of this famous fighter, powered by the unique DF55 electric ducted fan unit that generates realistic jet flight performance. The almost completely finished fuselage with intricate camouflage coloring allows you to focus on the enjoyment of flying. This PIP (Plug in Play) kit is pre-installed with 2 micro servos, brushless motor and speed control amp so you can use your choice of transmitter. Stability and precision control replicate the true jet fighter flight characteristics that are ideal for intermediate-level fliers in performing jet flight maneuvers. Enjoy the user-friendly experience with the dynamic attacking flight style of KYOSHO's F-4 PHANTOM!

Features
• Styrene main fuselage realizes a lightweight form complete with camouflage color scheme.
• Includes a special 25A amp. for brushless motor control.
• Compatible with 11.1V-910-1300mAh Lithium Polymer battery.
• Battery room size holds large capacity battery packs up to dimensions: 106 x 32 x 20mm.
• Includes two micro servos for elevon control.
• Simply attach the fan to the ducted unit, glue the main and tail wings to the fuselage, set the linkages and apply the decals to complete.
• Kit includes 2 servos, ESC, motor and EDF unit.

Tech Specs
Width:............... 534mm
Length:.............. 756mm
Weight:.............. 450g - 500g
Wing Area:.......... 9.5dm2
Wing Type:......... 9% Original Semi-Symmetrical
Dihedral Angle:..... Wing Tips 15°

Now Shipping to a hobby shop near you

Old 06-24-2008, 06:44 AM

Default RE: Kyosho F-4 Phantom

looks small, slow and underpowered, but we will have to see a video to judge.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 AM

that is why you never judge a book by its cover. Here is a video of the F-16 kyosho put out. I would think performance would be about the same. http://youtube.com/watch?v=P3DF2XH5wBU
Old 06-24-2008, 03:04 PM

i dont care i want one...looks good. if it flys like the f-16 should be lots of fun in good weather.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:47 PM

LOL mavrrick!! Don't let the wind stop you !!

I have heard that rain has been pretty harsh in your area.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:26 PM

hahahaha....yeah the weather here is strang. off and on thunder storms and hot as hell[:@]. wish i still lived in cali some times.

...mike
Old 06-28-2008, 10:46 AM

Well I had a chance to fly the F-4 after work. I was really a little unsure as to how this airplane would fly. That has all been tossed out the window. Hand launch was uneventful, landings are uneventful. Flying was really cool. The airplane rolls nicely, and seems more stable than the A-6. Landings were very easy. I was able to land the F-4 like a glider.

The only thing I would suggest at this point, is test run your fan before you glue the wing to the fuse. If you do not install the fan correctly, you will find yourself looking at the back of the instructions, reading about how to cut a hatch to access the fan lol.....
Old 06-28-2008, 01:28 PM

Glad to hear you had fun with it and that is all that counts. How was the performance? Similar to the modified F-16 speed at 82mph in you video or morel like a stock F-16, which appears to be around 55-65mph? How did it do on climb outs and loops? I would like to see some viseo on the performance, although I gotta keep reminding myself its only a foamy. Let us know.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:22 AM

The F-16 in that video is a stock F-16. No mods installed.

On launch, I was thinking I was going to have to fight the plane a bit, but as it left my hand it point to the clouds and did not look back...lol.... I did several no power fly-bys and waited until about 2 feet off the deck, then started to apply power, it would climb out with athority. Loops were fine, and inverted fly-bys were IMO more stable than the F-16 inverted. The F-4 feels to be about 50~60mph. I will not know for sure until I get the radar gun on it.

I will get several more flights in Sunday morning at the OCMA field. If I can get someone to hold my crummy Olympus camera, I should have some low res video.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:54 AM

As far as the F-16 is concerned, if it was running the stock motor and ESC, then it was not running on the stock pack. You don't get 20mph more than ALL the other F-16 videos I saw without running a different motor or higher cell lipo. I have been building and flying EDF's a long time and you can "hear" the difference between it and all the other stock videos that are posted. So let's be honest, since the setup was stock, the model in your video was running a higher cell battery than all the other stock videos, which means it was modified from the standard that the others were running. This type of modification can and does cause additional stress on the airframe, which is something you do not want to do on a foamy, at least not without beefing up the airframe with carbon fiber in key areas. Moreover, higher cell counts cause additional heat in the motor and ESC and we all know that heat is the killer of power systems, causing ESC's to deteriorate and burnout and motors to demag, which is not what anyone wants for their model that they put both time and dollars in to fly. So I can agree that it was using a stock motor and ESC, however, you cannot deny that it had to be modified by running a higher cell lipo, which is evident in the video comparisons.

Regarding the F-4, it sounds like the design is right on, making it a very nice model that runs similar to the standard stock setup for their F-16 and it appears to be equal in stability. These features, coupled with its looks and slower speeds will no doubt make it a great park flier and fun model to own. My F-4 always looks menacing in the air and I am sure this one is no different...you gotta love the lines on the Phantom. Thanks again for the update and we look forward to the video.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:40 PM

Before I fly off the handle, I must ask you to show me what video(s) you are refering to, that you think I am flying a modifyed kit. And I can assure you that the F-16 in the video I posted above is in stock out of box form running a 3s lipo pack.

Well I put in four more flights on the F-4 today. I did not get any good video. ... I really enjoy the flight characteristics of this airplane. Landings are really fun with this airplane. If you let the speed bleed off, then fliar at the last second, it makes for an impressive landing.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:08 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Robin Olds Airplane. Great Choice. this plane is in the Air Force Museum in Dayton.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 PM

If nothing goes wrong, I should have video sometime this week. I found someone to hold a camera...LOL
Old 07-03-2008, 02:52 PM

Here is a link to the video. Keep in mind had 2 hours of sleep the night before....LOL

http://www.youtube.com/v/uDqR1hQxJ_s
Old 07-04-2008, 04:05 PM
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

NICE. Looks outstanding in the air. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:21 AM

Nice video Gearhead...it flew just like I thought it would...a decent model that is aerobatic, yet slow enough to make it a nice park flier.