Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

***** New E Flite F16 400 DF (Thunderbird Scheme) *****

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

***** New E Flite F16 400 DF (Thunderbird Scheme) *****

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
stvinvegas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ***** New E Flite F16 400 DF (Thunderbird Scheme) *****

Installing a 70mm fan in my f-16 which Motor and fan combo is best?

A little background: I have had my EF f-16 for a couple of months now and gone through three different power configs. First I removed the stock motor and fan and used a Don's wicked 4000 with his Pentium 40 esc and a TP 4S 2200. The jet flew better but not as fast as you would expect. I smoked two of those motors. This happened after several flilghts so I wasn't to upset. Here is where it gets fun and leads to my question. I had a 70mm fan and motor that came out of a World Models Uni-Jet. I bored out the foam to fit the 70mm fan. The Jet flew better than it ever did, but as we all know this thing is just slower than we would like it to be. I also smoked that motor. I am going to replace the ESC, Motor and fan and want to make this thing scream.

So here is my question? Since I bored out the foam to fit a 70mm fan unit. I would like advice on the most powerful EDF motor fan combo for this bird. I want to overpower this sucker so I know this time it will scream. As soon as I get her up and running I will post a Vid. I have been reading up on the Hoffman Wild Beast and the Little Screamer. I just want to make sure I have everything right.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:25 PM
imagine95

contact the folks at "elecric jet factory" they have some great stuff and can help you...
ed
Old 03-08-2009, 03:13 PM
bearcatf8
My Feedback: (4)

Guys I think we have been delt a bad hand ( model). I was at the Swap Meet in Perry Ga. and took my F-16 and could not even get a dollar for it . I tried to trade it for another E-Flight plane and no one would even think of doing it ( tried to trade for a lesser priced kit). I had severlpeople look at it ,I think they wanted to see what the fuss was all about.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:54 PM
typhoon2007

finally got a flight in with the new hyperion motor in the e-flite f-16... probally 15 mph winds and it worked pretty well the plane was fast but not a rocket... i would compare it to a Stryker C from parkzone...not bad for a windy day though..the flight time on a 2200mah zippy was only around 5 minutes of full throttle...i can't wait for a little less windy day to try it out and see how fast it will go ....
Old 03-08-2009, 06:49 PM
imagine95

Typhoon & Bearcat
Looks like typhoon has a combo there. Its too bad one needs to spend at least $100.00 or more to get a $200.00 plus servos, ESC, and battery totaling around $500.00 model in the air. Like I said I have a F-35, F-18, and F-22 all up for less than $600.00 and they fly fast and snappy. The F-18 has the 70mm fan, F-22 has twin 55's and the F-35 a 64mm. But congrats. Typhoon.
Bearcat, you got it. The stock e-CRASH F-16 youll need to pay disposal fees to rid yourself of it. By the way, Mr. Stephens, CEO of e-CRASH obviously has the Horizon syndrome. He wont respond to my e-mail. Sooooooo, my suggestion to you all is dump e-CRASH and Cr@&zone and get some flyers.
e
Old 03-10-2009, 02:10 PM
DNCrosby

I typically don't get responses from CEO's via e-mail... it's just sorted as spam... Print the letter out and spend (if you're willing) a stamp, and mail it, it's worked for several cell phone, and computer hardware manufacturers for me...

-DC

P.S. I hardly fly the F16 anymore... it looks great on the ground, but like I said there's something holding it back, ducting motor what have you.... lost the bottom hatch for the motor cover, but with the ducting it acts like a cheater hole... works somewhat better...
In the end it just blows...

The F4U Corsair from ParkZone flies great, I keep on having to re-enforce the landing gear due to my own lack of landing skill and determined way or trying over and over. But like any company it's been hit and miss with Horizon. Pick the good ones, and enjoy, leave the bad ones on the shelf.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:22 PM
imagine95

Strange as it may seem, Hrizon cannot find, respond to, or accept the fact the F-16 is a dog. Just yesterday I received a "PRIVATE" message from someone representing themselves as a director at Horizon. He said that they had been trying very hard to locate me but could not seem to do so and wanted my name and e-mail address. Well, I gave my e-mail address and thats where it sits. Typical Horizon. Where did all the correspondence I previously sent go. They have dotten my address, phone number and e-mail address several times before. They say they will respond in 48 hours but I dont even get a response in 48 days. On top of that hey boast of superior customer service.
P.S. Nitroplanes has responded to every problem with speed, accuracy and courtesy. Now lets look at the facts I have purchased 4 horizon (e-crash, park-pile etc) products several problems and all have been no more than JUNK. My experience with Nitroplanes is no less than 20 purchases in the last 6 months and had 4 problems and the situation was resolved, replacement in hand inside of 3 days.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 AM
bearcatf8

Guess I could put it in the Grandsons room ,hanging from the ceiling .........let him hit at it like a pinata !!!! Either that or pour Gas on the foam ! Anyone got a LARGE bottle rocket ?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:43 PM
imagine95

Heck Bearcat, If you set the ting up as e-smash suggests, get he thing off the ground "if ya can", at the highest rate of speed it will achieve "which aint sayin much",it will on its own roll into a steep dive, the servos will stall and "viola" exciting end to a bad investment. Horizon aint gonna do anything for ya, may as well have a little fun before ya die. Hey, the pinata Iidea does sound fun..... How about do a fly-by and let the local softball team swing at it. I'll bet the first batter will do it in. By the way, that Director is still hiding. No word yet. Ya think he gets the idea I am a bit dissatisfied ????????? and P!&&@d off !!!!!. Gotta go fer now, I'm ordering my 5th Exceed, The F-18 Viper.......
Old 03-19-2009, 05:46 PM
imagine95

Hey, cant resist his one. I have a new name for the F16, "F-16 (-$400). Which is what you are out after setting the thing up and no-fly-ee.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:42 PM
wedgewing

I remember starting this thread and like others have grown to mourn what could have been a very nice plane (in its stock condition). Kudos to those that have used after market stuff to make it a decent flying machine. I saw the amount of money it takes to fly this and have to tell you that I finally got sick of waiting for Horizon to fix this and went out and bought a Phase 3 F16.

I was going to hold out for the SAPAC F16 when the EFlite first came on the scene, but really liked the looks of the EFlite bird. I resisted purchasing the Hobby Lobby version but finally took the plunge on the Phase. Gotta tell you, this is a great plane right out of the box. I made some changes to strengthen the tail feather area because it has a fully flying tail and it is a blast. for a little over a $100 you have a blast.

if the EFlite is running a few 100 dollars I could go through 3 of the Phase birds. I am kind of bent today on Horizon, because I emailed them a simple question about converting a plane over to electric and it wasn't out of bounds because they had pictures in the instructions of them doing it, and listing parts. I asked Horizon where I could get the part they were referring to and I go this back

"thank you for the email. I really wish we had a set up guide for this but we do not sorry.

I hope you find this information useful. If you should have any further questions, please reply to this email or give us a call at 1-877-504-0233."

I am not listing the guys name because it is not his fault that Horizon doesn't care, he is just the guy delivering the news.

They are still OK servicing the Spektrum stuff, but I wanted to drop in and wish you guys the best on pressing them to make the cool plane we all saw in the videos. in the meantime, buy a Phase 3 and have some fun while Horizon works out the bugs
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 PM
imagine95

Typical Horizon, shift and dodge, bait and crash, looks and no-go, etc. Hey Mr. Director at horizon, where are you hiding now ?. At his time I will honor your privacy and not name you but my patience is wearing thin with the "want to talk" then you hide. That seems to be the Horizon way.
Hey, I just call it as I see it.......
Old 03-19-2009, 08:28 PM
imagine95

By the way, the previous was not a knock on Wedgewing, he had some good points but, I will not let Horizon rest until I (we) get to the bottom of all this stuff. Meanwhile be cautious about Horizon's claims.....
Old 03-19-2009, 09:50 PM
wedgewing

No knock perceived against me, so no worries...

I just figure whoever was typing back to me from Horizon follows a flow chart that has no answers. right when you send it, you get an automated response that says it may take 3 - 4 days to get back to you...I guess for how much business they do that is how long it might take (if they were actually going to get me an answer). In this case, it took about two days to tell me that although they promote the conversion, spec the parts, recommend the proper engine and ESC, they don't have a clue about how it should be mounted......

If they just wound up Googling it like I wound up having to do, they could have recommended the 3rd party I finally had to go to so I can fly their plane....Haven't they ever watched Miracle on 34th street? Customer service by pointing to other parties and vendors that make things to fill the gaps where HH doesn't give a rat's behind?

it doesn't matter who the guy was who slotted me with the who cares reply, HH is humongous and makes a ton of money off of hobbyists looking for one stop shopping and flying. I am done with them because they have also raised their prices so much that their price is the same or higher than some "niche" manufacturers serving up better quality and customer service in the form of speaking directly with the owner of the brand, or having him respond to an e-mail within an hour or so. That is why my money has been traveling to Fredericksburg, TX on my last few purchases. Those guys get it, and in a tough economy you can't use the HH service model which is driven off of mediocre service funded by volume. their money is being reduced, so their first response is to raise prices and make more off of less units.

I was really POd when I saw what happened with this jet. I cannot believe what you have to spend to move a piece of foam in the air. God bless the guys who have made this plane work.

Imagine95 is right, keep posting and force them to listen. I remember in the very beginning of this thread the Horizon guy would actually come on and respond to keep the excitement going and let everyone know that this was going to be an instant favorite like the T28 or the Corsair.

I will let someone know if they respond back to my "that was a lame answer, please pretend you care and provide another solution"

happy flights

Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 PM
wtmcgehee

This aircraft flys great with the stock setup for the exeption of the motor. "You know the art tech." My aircraft flys like a dream with a hyperion Y-22 LONG MOTOR 5000 KV. I am running the 30 amp e-flite speed controller, s75 servos and 11.1 2100 mah thunder power.
Motor bolts into the stock fan minus the spacer.
On asphalt it takes off in about 20 feet and climbs great. Here is the info on the motor.
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1828
Old 03-20-2009, 05:46 AM
bearcatf8

OK ,I got mine for sale in the other section of this site . Anyone want to send me A $100 for it .Then I can go out and buy some more E-Crash or Park NO-FLY
Old 03-20-2009, 06:47 PM
imagine95

Hey guys, I just purchased an F-18 with a 70 mm fan, 4s batt, servos and a complete radio for less than the Horrer-izon F-16 400 (-$400) "youll be with-out'. I know its a great plane because its the second F-18 both are flying perfectly along with their buddies F-35 and F-22....... Go Exceed and call Nitroplanes, DUMP HORIZON.....
Hey Mr. Director, Got any kiwis, defend that, Your name is about to be splattered all over these sites along with the pathetic note you attached......
Ed
Old 03-20-2009, 06:52 PM
bearcatf8

Go ahead Rub it in !!!!lol
Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 PM
imagine95

Just gettin' warmed up. Horrer-izon has my panties in a bunch.. More will be revealed, stay tooooooooned
Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 PM
johnnyjet

ORIGINAL: bearcatf8

OK ,I got mine for sale in the other section of this site . Anyone want to send me A $100 for it .Then I can go out and buy some more E-Crash or Park NO-FLY

When will you be close to Prattville?
Johnny

Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 PM
bearcatf8

Clanton is only 20 miles away
Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 PM
johnnyjet

PM me your number

Johnny
Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 PM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

imagine95,

OK, let's go back to your original complaint, that you contacted Horizon at the beginning of January and was told there was no upgrade system planned for the near future. The fan unit you saw in the consumer quarterly (Delta-V 480) was actually announced in November and started shipping in January. I apologize that the rep didn't think to tell you about this system, but the truth is we're not really pushing it as a performance upgrade for the F-16. It's more of a 4S upgrade for the F-15. It has a 4000 kV outrunner which only puts out slightly more thrust than the stock F-16 system on 3S. On 4S, it does make a significant difference, but getting a 4S system to fit into the F-16 is a real trick. We did one flight with this setup using two 2S batteries wired in series using a harness, placing one battery in the stock location and one behind the nosewheel steering servo. We see that as more complexity than most customers would want in a foam EDF, so we're not recommending that setup.

Next, you complained about not getting a response to an email sent through the website. I hate to say this, but we do see this quite a bit. There is a problem somewhere with this system, and I believe we're working on it. It seems like there's a black hole where email messages go unaswered. I'm in product development, not product support or IT, so I don't know exactly how that mechanism works. All I can recommend is that by calling the toll-free product support number (1-877-504-0233) you're certain to reach a real person.

Finally, it looks like you did eventually reach product support on March 2nd. In your words, "I had a conversation that ended 10 min. ago with Horizon and it appears to be a dead issue." I'm not really sure what this means. Did you request a new airplane or maybe a different fan system? Did the technician ask you to send back a broken airplane, or a receipt? Since you are continuing to complain, you obviously didn't get the problem resolved to your satisfaction. At the same time, you haven't described here what you're looking for at this time. It sounds like you've already thrown the airplane away, which could have had a bearing on the non-resolution during the phone call on March 2nd. Regardless of that call, if there actually is anything we can do help your situation, please PM me and we'll take it offline.

Most of the time we don't talk about upcoming products until they're officially announced. Sometimes we make exceptions. In this case, I don't think there will be any harm in letting you know that we are working on a better power system for the F-16. I would expect it to be available in late spring or early summer, but we won't be making any official announcements for some time.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:00 AM
bearcatf8

David ,it's too little too late !I think there's more to this other than the motor. More in the way it flys.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:31 AM
typhoon2007

I still don't think that it should be necessary to buy an upgraded power system that will cost, I would guess around $100, to make this thing flyable. For the $169 up front cost for the airframe you should get a quality powerplant with it. I only flew mine once with the stock motor and it barely flew. After spending $60 on the Hyperion motor and my time for installation I am happy with the plane. I do agree with Imagine 95 that I will be checking out Nitroplanes for my next ARF EDF.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.