Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

***** New E Flite F16 400 DF (Thunderbird Scheme) *****

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

***** New E Flite F16 400 DF (Thunderbird Scheme) *****

Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 PM
wedgewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ***** New E Flite F16 400 DF (Thunderbird Scheme) *****

wtmcgehee

thanks for the initial comments on the performance. at the LHS today and had the Hobby Lobby (Famous) and the E Flite in hand checking them out. Looks like the HL is about 7 inches larger in the wingspan, and is just larger in general. It will be faster as it comes with the 4S right in the kit. I like the Thunderbird scheme a lot, but until they can look at a faster set up I think I am on the sidelines here. There are hop ups for the HL F16, and based on where the technology is (IMHO) you are going to get "faster" at the expense of flight time. I am not jazzed about a 4 minute flight time if I hopped up either and maybe I am not 100% on hopped up flight times so I would love to hear more from EDF flyers of either of these two F16s.

I just added a Turnigy 35-36c to my Mini Ultra Stick and I know for a fact I am flying faster than one of the standard set up EDFs. That is plenty of pucker coming out of that plane now to keep me from dumping cash on one of these. They sure look nice through

Thanks again for providing a write up for us fence sitters
Old 10-17-2008, 08:42 PM
bearcatf8
My Feedback: (4)

THINK WE COULD ADD A HALF -A-CELL TO GET A LITTLE MORE REV'S
Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 PM
wtmcgehee

I will be trying two (2) cell 11.1 2100mah soon. The reason I am doing this instead of one (4) cell is the two packs combined are smaller and fit well. I will post more when I try this.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:45 PM
wtmcgehee

Wedgewing,
As I posted to bearcatf8, I will be trying two (2) cell 11.1 2100mah soon. If that doesn't give me what I want I will be replacing the 2 pole motor with a 5. The e-flite has a standard size ducted unit and it is easy to replace. E-flite made a nice cut out section to remove the motor.
I also have a mini ultra stick. I have made it extreamlly fast. I redrilled the firewall to fit a e-flite 480 motor w/ a 11/7 prop, and a 25 pro speed controller. It has unlimited vertical and with the throws set right. "maxed out" It is very acrobatic. I have the same setup in my mini show time.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:00 AM
bearcatf8

Let us know how it turns out. I may want to replace mine ,if i think i need a little more go juice !
Old 10-18-2008, 12:17 PM
wedgewing

I remember Dave from Horizon saying that trying to add cells (move it to 4S) will cook it, although you can do it with the F15.

I like this bird, and I am wondering if someone like DonsRc is going to do any testing on it to come up with a suitable hop up (motor wise). Thanks again guys for all the experimentation you are doing. I certainly would like to add this to the Christmas gift list but will hang on the sidelines for now
Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 PM
wtmcgehee

I think I found the speed issue with mine. Today was the fourth flight of my E-flite F-16 and with the stock setup the motor fried. So I am thinking I got a bad motor from the factory. I have a friend who works on Hobby Town and will contacting them on the issue Monday. I most likely will not be doing the 4 cell battery now.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:53 PM
wedgewing

bummer.

definitely don't do 4 cell with the stock motor. the F15 can handle but not the F16. that is what Dave from Horizon stated when I posed the question as a possible speed enhancer

good luck, hope they fix your problem
Old 10-18-2008, 08:17 PM
bearcatf8

a couple of things I've noticed while putting it together .The blue is a decal and tends to crack open and expose a white background ,needs some paint that wont attack foam. And the wire tunnels are a little tight. needs opening up. The left wing needed a little heat and twist to get the wash-out the same as the Rt. Looks like the reciever and ESC is going to be a tight fit. THESE ARE SOME OF THE iTEMS I'VE NOTICED with my equipment installation. Cant wait to get it in the air. Just need a reciever and servo extensions .Wonder if the F-15 motor and fan will fit in the fuselage ?
Old 10-19-2008, 02:23 PM
wedgewing

ORIGINAL: bearcatf8

a couple of things I've noticed while putting it together .The blue is a decal and tends to crack open and expose a white background ,needs some paint that wont attack foam. And the wire tunnels are a little tight. needs opening up. The left wing needed a little heat and twist to get the wash-out the same as the Rt. Looks like the reciever and ESC is going to be a tight fit. THESE ARE SOME OF THE iTEMS I'VE NOTICED with my equipment installation. Cant wait to get it in the air. Just need a reciever and servo extensions .Wonder if the F-15 motor and fan will fit in the fuselage ?
I heard from Dave that it would not fit in it and the same things you can do to the F15 (add 4S battery, other motors) you cannot currently do for the F16 (bummer). I actually flew the Nitro Models F15 today and it was my first EDF experience. Not bad at all but it was slower than my MUS [&o] but that was sort of OK in one sense that it was a "different" type of flying. I knew that if I got myself into the doo-doo, I could not just hammer the throttle and get out of it like my 3D aircraft. I actually loved the landing of this plane because it held its pace through a pretty gusty headwind and had a nice head high attitude set up on its own. I flew it to the ground ....held level and just eased for a landing.

So, now I do think that I would like an EDF........but I still want one that can go a little faster than what I was flying and what can be delivered from the Horizon F16........can we ever be pleased...............
Old 10-19-2008, 04:54 PM
rob737
My Feedback: (3)

who decides on the color schemes? it seems like a lot of jets are offerd in stunt team colors. why not just a normal scale appearence? i saw this plane at my lhs the other day....it looked like a nice bird, and i am looking for an edf jet......but in a normal "squardron" paint scheme! help, horizon hobby! rob
Old 10-19-2008, 05:48 PM
wedgewing

ORIGINAL: rob737

who decides on the color schemes? it seems like a lot of jets are offerd in stunt team colors. why not just a normal scale appearence? i saw this plane at my lhs the other day....it looked like a nice bird, and i am looking for an edf jet......but in a normal "squardron" paint scheme! help, horizon hobby! rob
like this one?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f16.htm

I am leaning this way because it is a bigger bird, already has hop ups available either through them (still too costly in my mind) and is faster with a 70 mm fan and 4s setup

Old 10-19-2008, 05:54 PM
WildBlueYawnder

No...we can never be pleased...

Do you know what the difference is between a puppy and an R/C modeler??? After several weeks the puppy will stop whining....

No matter how a model is designed someone will wish it was different...I actually like some of the Hobby Lobby F-16 features much better than the E-Flite F-16 but I've decided to go with the E-Flite first. Mainly because it's compatible with the 10 batteries I already have. My basic philosophy for now is to buy planes that I can share batteries with. I'm sure down the road I'll also have the HL version.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:44 PM
wedgewing

great point wild blue.

You know the HL version comes with the batteries, correct? The HL F16 comes with everything except the radio (which I already have).

I am going back and forth on it myself and right now leaning towards to the HL version.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:00 PM
WildBlueYawnder

Yeah, I know it comes with 1 battery and I have a Spectrum DX7 and DX6i to fly it with, plus extra receivers laying around. I would want at least two more batteries to get some repeat flights without recharging or to be able to keep flying while charging the other batts. That puts the total outlay somewhere around $450 with shipping. I can get the E-Flite F-16 now for $170 and use existing servos, ESC, batteries, receiver, etc. I'm sure I'll get the HL F-16 later on just because it's a military scheme and a larger model but for now I'll enjoy the E-Flite. I really like some of the other HL F-16 features such as the screw on clamp that can be removed to get at the fan and motor and the fact it can be upgraded for speed. The HL F-16 will definitely be in my hanger one day (probably too soon in my wifes opinion!).
Old 10-20-2008, 01:17 PM
rob737
My Feedback: (3)

yes, fellows........like the paint scheme on the hl falcon! that one looks great! i too have been looking at that one, but it's kind of expensive for now. i also look for battery compatability. kind of keeps the expenses down if we can use stuff that we already have. good luck guys.......r.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:29 PM
wedgewing

I am trying to figure out the justification to the wife when "either" of these show up.........I too have 4 3s2100s laying around and some servos. On the other side I have a spare ParkBec which based on what I am reading on the HL might be a good idea

decisions decisions......
Old 10-20-2008, 03:55 PM
wtmcgehee

I have contacted Horizon Hobby, and they will be sending me out a new motor. I hope this solves the speed issue.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:25 PM
skulboep

Hey guys,

Just picked one of these up; was just wondering what kind of servos and esc people are using for this bird. I'm a little skeptical of EFlite servos and esc and am looking for recommendations. Also, I'm unfortunately not a Spektrum user (...yet anyway, the DX7 is actually on the Christmas list) and am wondering what receiver FM pilots are using. Any help would be great, thanks!

Erik
Old 10-21-2008, 03:12 PM
wtmcgehee

If I wasn't going to use the E-flite ones I would use HS 55 servos.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:56 PM
wedgewing

ORIGINAL: wtmcgehee

If I wasn't going to use the E-flite ones I would use HS 55 servos.
I was looking at them (S75s) and if you compare them to the HS-55s I think the S75s have more torque, and are quicker. Less expensive too. Is that what you see?

once I get to larger than 40" plane I am in HS65s though

Let me know if that is how you see the numbers. They are not horrible servos and not the greatest just like the HS55s
Old 10-21-2008, 05:26 PM
wtmcgehee

I am currently using the E-flite 60's and they seem to do the trick. You must consider how much draw they take and if your speed controller BEC can take the power draw. On my F-16 I have 4 60s and one hs55 for the steering.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:55 PM
wedgewing

do you estimate that this plane is flying at a level plane anywhere near 50 - 60 mph stock, or is it slower? if so where do you compare it speed wise (maybe a model name like the T28 or Mini Pulse XT) 480 speed?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:05 PM
skulboep

Hey what esc are you guys using? I've heard bad stuff about E-Flite's escs. E-Flite recommends a 25-30A esc and uses their own 25A model in the build instructions. For the same price I can get a castle creations thunderbird 36 (the next amperage down is 18) but is this too much for the plane? Other thoughts?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:43 PM
wedgewing

if you go with the Pro ESCs from E flite you should be OK. I have flown their regular and Pro's in my planes forever and just had one of my 40 amp ESCs go on me the other week.

It was a regular 40 amp E flite ESC and if it helps that ESC spent the winter in OH about 100 feet in a tree with my Mini Ultra Stick mocking me as it blew around in the wind like a signal to the world about what an idiot I was to dip below those tall trees.

No lie, the ESC lasted another two seasons before crapping out and the Park 480 still powers the replacement MUS. I would say that is pretty tough stuff. You might have heard about some of the crappy ones they specd in PNP models. have to save some coin to make PNPs affordable, right.

I think the CC 36 would be good here and i use that on my PA 260

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.