Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Question About Scale EDF For Beginners?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Question About Scale EDF For Beginners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:12 PM
FirebirdCdr2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About Scale EDF For Beginners?

Hey Guys,

Are there any scale EDF that are good for beginners. Something that wont fall apart on someone who is learning? If someone could answer my question it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks firebird
Old 09-15-2008, 06:54 AM
CTulanko

Default RE: Question About Scale EDF For Beginners?

The GWS A-10 Warthog is a good choice and you can use e-flightline.com's brushless upgrade and turn it into a great flier.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:39 AM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're trying to learn to fly, I would not do it on an edf. If you already know how to fly, then CTulanko's suggestion is probably a good one.

Another good beginner EDF is the Hobby-Lobby F/A-18.

Dan
Old 09-15-2008, 08:18 PM
CastorTroy2150
My Feedback: (10)

A-10 huh? I am looking into EDF jets and love to fly, but am unsure of the difference. I fly nitro models but am going to electric. Have tons of time on low wings and all types of planes. What would be a good starter for a experienced flyer. I love the A-10 but am curious about a plane that will allow me to learn but be easy to upgrade for a second plane so to speak after I learn. Are EDF really that big of a new world?Any recommended power system with suggested planes.Just need some help too.thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 07:09 AM
CTulanko

CastorTroy2150,

If you are an experienced flier, I would recommend starting out with a Performance EDF model in the Minifan size. Something like the HET-RC FA-18, F-20 or Sniper would be a good choice and the motor system you purchase can be moved from model to model. You can see and purchase quite a few of these models at www.warbirds-rc.com. For someone just transitioning from foam EDF to performance, the FA-18 is a good model and I believe everyone should have one in their hangar eventually. However, if you have flown for a while, the F-20 may be a better choice, as it is larger and thus easier to see, it can handle bigger power plants, has more room for batteries, can be converted for retracts and is a full Aileron/Elevator model, where the FA-18 is an Elevon model.

There are several fans in the "Minifan" range for performance EDF and I would recommend either the HET-RC 6904 or the newly improved Wemotec Minifan 480 pro, which now comes prebalanced. A good starter motor for a seasoned flier for the F-20 would be the HET-RC 2W20 Brushless motor and any good 60-80amp ESC (electronic speed controller). ESC's such as the Hacker 70amp, Jeti Spin 66a, Castle Creations Phoenix 60 or 80, Tsunami 72 and Air Power 80 amp, Kontronik Jazz series or others are good speed controllers for the model and can be moved from jet to jet.

I would recommend you visit www.warbirds-rc.com and visit their "Research Center" section and look at the "build articles" for the jet you may be interested in and get familiar with the components and construction. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions and we will be happy to help.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:20 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CT ... don't forget to inform Castor how fast the little planes disappear when on 4S ... Heheeheheheeee
Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 PM
CTulanko

tIANci...good point, which is why I suggested the F-20 as it is much bigger.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:43 PM
CastorTroy2150

Thanks, Jsut out of curiosity, I would really like something to put together a little myself. Maybe even put my own paint scheme on? An I have watched these fly, they do move fast. I would love something with a larger profile. Is it possible for me to get anything worth having for the 250-350.00usd range? I have a Spektrum computer radio and a 8 channel reciever. So its really jsut the plane,motor, fan,servos and ESC. Just curious. Thanks for the tips again, I will soak up ANYTHING that you more "experienced" EDF jet guys have to tell. Keep it coming boys!!!(No homo )Thanks again
Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 AM
CTulanko

CastorTroy,

It all depends on how much you want to build, but anything worth its weight is going to be near or a little more than your budget. The Motor/Fan/ESC can be found for around $140 and you can add another $60-90 for three servos, depending on which ones you buy and this would bring you to $200-230, leaving you $125-150 for the cost of the model. The FA-18 from HET is $125 shipped and the F-20 $145 from warbirds-rc.com . You may still need a little hardware, clevis/etc and some 12 ga wire, but the big items are covered. I would suggest you check out the different websites and see which model fits your budget. I would recommend something larger like the F-20 from HET-RC and although it comes monokoted, you can still paint it. If you want more of a builder, the K&A kits are more of an ARC where you need to glue wings, tail surfaces and ductwork, then finish the painting yourself. I have built a few of them and they are nice kits, but a bit out of your price range as they are around $200. Also, K&A have some very cool new models that are retract ready, again they are more than your budget and can be seen at www.kamodels.com . The RBC kits are real builders as they are stick kits, but very nice.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 AM
CastorTroy2150

Man this is tough, mostly because I know little to nothing about these things. I would really like to get a ARC, then I can paint it how I want it, I could jsut aquire the servos and what else i need along the way. I have a 8 chanel reciver sitting around so I can use that. I donno decisions, decisions... lol I will look around. thanks
Old 09-17-2008, 10:10 AM
CastorTroy2150

I was looking at the HET-RC F-20 and it seems to be a fully sheeted frame. If this is the case I could really jsut remove the ultracoat and sea the balsa and paint huh? I love to build waht about something along these lines, I jsut like the idea of building my own...

http://www.warbirds-rc.com/Store/rbc-mig29.html

Maybe I build this and get something in an ARF, I could maybe find someone to sell me a Fan unit and motor/ESC for cheap on here. Then use it in the F-20 and finish the M29 at my pace. I jsut LOVE to build... Im not sure how this would fly though...I would also like to add the engine detail in the area between the vert-stabilizers, the 2 raised areas where the engines are. Myabe carve them out of foam and a light glass layer, I dont like the flat look. I am selling a brand new never flown Edge 540 RTF with EVERYTHING transmitter and flight box as I am getting out of nitro. I have already sold everything else. Maybe that can fund some of this project/ both planes. With that sold that bumps my funds up to around 600-750.00. We will see... I love the color scheme on this picture as well, I may do that scheme. I may build this jsut to build it and Sell it after I am done, sell jsut the frame painted. Im sure someone will grab it up. Id sell it cheap I jsut want to build it haha.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30093.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1035048  
Old 09-17-2008, 10:14 AM
FirebirdCdr2

Hey Guys,

I do have some flying experience with my Super Cub. I wanna thank you guys for some of your suggestions. I will be looking into some of those planes. I really looking for one that's not exspensive and does not give you a lot problems being that it will be sorta new to me. Thanks guys.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:39 AM
FirebirdCdr2

Hey Guys,

Are there any EDF's that have just elevator and rudder besides that flyzone plane? I know that at some point i will have to learn ailerons.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:48 AM
CTulanko

There are no EDF Jets that I know of that fly on rudder...they are either Aileron Elevator or use the horizontal stabs as Elevons, as in the case of the HET-RC FA-18 or F-16. If you cannot fly an Aileron model, you would need to get some practice in on a prop one first. The MIG-29 you are looking at was one of the first scale military jets that ever came out years ago. It is a very reliable flier, designed by Haldor and made by RBC and does not use a duct per say. The bottom of the fuselage is two planks that look like ducts, but the fan is open air in this bottom area, as it is a very simple design and a good model. The F-20 is build up and you could strip it and glass the model; there have also been a few that have sealed and painted it, but to tell ya the truth, if I didn't glass it, I would just paint over the monokote.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:50 PM
CastorTroy2150

I am a little confused as to what you mean about the open to air, have any pictures? What are some other brands that sell a stick built kit for EDF? I would like to have one that has like a 40" wing span maybe a little bigger.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:35 PM
CTulanko

Stick builts are pretty much all RBC, while ARC's are K&A Models...those are the two big ones for kits. As far as the open air is concerned, I meant to say that there are no intake ducts for the MIG-29 running from each side into a "Y" then into the front of the fan...the bottom is a box with the fan drawing air from the forward inside of the box. Larger EDF kits with 40+" wingspans do exist and are made by BVM Jets, Tam Jets, Comp ARF and others, but the price tag is up there in the thousands.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:43 PM
FirebirdCdr2

Hey CT,

You have been very helpful. Hey someone told me that should start with a pusher jet and then move up to EDF.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Flexserve

Have you been flying props? if so how long? Am I ready to handle a plane with more speed? Do I feel confident enough that I have the rersources and flying space to accompany said EDF? Is there a trainer to help with the transition so I dont crash it? (no need to actually answer..these are questions for yourself)

Jets are expensive (unless your into foam, and even those are rising above $150.00 for a great looking one) Electric is the way to start in EDF (my opinion).

The way I look at it is maybe when I have 10 more years under my belt...an actual turbine model is in my future. At $1800 and up just for the turbine kits..I cant see starting here... even gas fan duct..cant see it...

Been working on real jets/turbines for most of my life..not ready for maintenance on a micro sized one... (boroscope blues)

On the bright side..some of us started directly into EDFs....

Good Luck and be safe!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:13 AM
FirebirdCdr2

HuH???
Old 09-18-2008, 10:15 AM
FirebirdCdr2

I understand what you are saying.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:50 AM
FirebirdCdr2

Hey Guys,

I wrote down a few planes that my suit my needs of me learning to fly EDF. Well I have decided to go head and get the FlyZone Diablo EDF Trainer. It works on Rudder and elevator, and when you get used to it and good flying it. You can switch the training wings to advanced wings with ailerons. I think is the best way for me to start. Thank you guys for all your suggestions.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Flexserve

ORIGINAL: FirebirdCdr2

Hey Guys,

I wrote down a few planes that my suit my needs of me learning to fly EDF. Well I have decided to go head and get the FlyZone Diablo EDF Trainer. It works on Rudder and elevator, and when you get used to it and good flying it. You can switch the training wings to advanced wings with ailerons. I think is the best way for me to start. Thank you guys for all your suggestions.

Ouch..read some more on this model. It's got a list of issues. All of which dont sound too good. (brushed)
Old 09-19-2008, 12:08 PM
CastorTroy2150

CT,
Hey was curious about this plane...

http://ultimaterchobby.com/product/t...plane-rtf.aspx

31 inch span wing and RTF I really dont need the transmitter or anything but I would like to get one of these soon. Does anyone make some kind of ARF with servos and motor/ESC installed that you can install a reciever into? I really would love to have one of these. I also wouldnt mind to build something with plane and foam. I jsut cant decided. If someone only had something cheap for me to get used to make sure this is what direction I want to go...

Also found this add, this is one of those HET F-20 you were talking abotu with a bunch of stuff.... what do you think...And what is the deal with the "Bungee" stuff , it says hand lauch is ok...is handlaunching a jet different then a prop plane(aparently it is..)[:@]?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemid=435263
Old 09-19-2008, 12:29 PM
CastorTroy2150

I think I may want to paint one of those F-20 in this scheme(I know prolly never was on one in real life but DANNNG would it look fine.[8D]) I could stip the ultracoat and paint, I know you said you would paint over the ultracoat.....would that stick well[X(]??!! Even after you scuff it up[:@]...? i donno would sealing the balsa with glass make this to heavy?
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2008, 12:12 AM
FirebirdCdr2

Flex,

Looked for the list of problems. Did not find any. If you know of a place where they have this wrote out please tell me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.