Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help with Sapac t-45 composite set-up.

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Help with Sapac t-45 composite set-up.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:15 AM
darren94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Sapac t-45 composite set-up.

I just picked up a new in the box Sapac comp t-45 from the Winston-Salem NC swap meet for a killer deal. Here is the link to the plane, http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=527 , and i have a few questions. I am new to jets but, have had many hours of stick time with pylon racers, quickies and speed planes so, this should be easy for me. As you can see from the pictures, the plane came with the fan and motor and i need to purchase servos, battery and an esc and this is where i am confused. I am hoping that some of you EDF gurus can help steer me in the right direction!

The first issue is how poor the manual is so, i have no base line to start from as far as the needed parts are considered. So, i have no clue what size battery, servos and esc to get. What do you recommend for each? I am hoping to see the 115-120 mph range and for it to be reliable. I did see that is calls for 3500-4500 mah lipo but what voltage? cell count? 3s-4s? and with that choice, what size esc?

I realize that battery weight is important but, i want the fastest and best flying setup for the stock motor and fan!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:54 PM
darren94

Default RE: Help with Sapac t-45 composite set-up.

anyone?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:46 PM
kremecheze
My Feedback: (5)

u can mirror my setup if you like,i gonna run mine on 2 4s 2200 mah packs in parrellel to make a 4s 4400 pack,with a 70amp super simple esc.u can pick up an 9gram servos,i would go with hs65 karbonite oe metal gear servos.there are 2 different motors that come with this plane,the newer kit comes with a longer silver outrunner which is rated at 1100watts on 4s,so it realy hauls ass.i havent built mine yet,but take your time and read up on the different t45 forums.edf's are different than prop planes,more attentions needs to paid to the electronics.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:39 AM
darren94

thanks for the input, My kit is the newer version with the long silver motor. I found a nice lipo pack that is 4400mah 4s 20c that i think i will use.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:03 PM
kremecheze

check out hobbycity for the battery packs,they are nice and cheap,plus i picked up a nice set of air retracts for about 60 bucks,otherwise you will have to bungee launch the plane
Old 11-11-2008, 05:27 PM
whissel_blowa

You need to balance the stock rotor well, get the fan running smoothly with the rotor first then spend time fitting the spinner cap and rotating till you find the sweet spot.

It needs 4000mah 4s1p packs, 25c minimum if you want 120mph.

Only servos that will fit the wings are 65's, I would use HS65MG's only and would use an HS81MG for the all moving elevator.

Make sure you sand all the contact points of the ducts once cut out, use CA and they will glue up perfect, dont sand and you will have nightmares about them

If you decide to use bungee then cut slots in the tops of the wings and run your servo horns out the top, they will catch all the time on the bottom, real annoying.

It needs very little aileron movement, 3-4mm max, and a heap more elevator movement than they say, I practically doubled mine.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Super_Dave

^^^

Thanks for the advice whissel_blowa! Also, while we are on the topic, i am still soo confused and have a few questions.

1) What is the difference between as 4s and a 4s1p or a 4s2p? advantages? disadvantages?

2) When searching for an esc, i am trying to match the battery continous and burst ratings to the esc but, i am looking at the flight power and thunder power high performance batteries that have constant ratings of 70-90 and burst ratings of 150-200. Does that mean i have to get an esc that has similar ratings?

3) Lastly, i see that no esc offers a bec for anything more than 3 cells. Do i need to run a seperate bec wired in?

sorry for all the questions guys but, this is much more intensive than my e-flite park 480's and 25 amp esc's!!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:15 AM
kremecheze

i run all my jets on hobbycity speed contollers,they are much cheaper and have not failed me yet,you need atleast a 70amp esc for this plane,as far as the batteries go your goin to spend about 150 dollars to get a thunderpower or expensice lipo.and it will only perform a little better than the cheaper ones.i purchased expensive batteries when i first started flyin edf's and notice that they dont beform much better than zippy lipo's.turningy makes an 80amp esc that has a bec on it that is good for upto 5s and its only about 50bucks.youre best bet is to buy a 100amp esc from hobbycitty and buy a bec unit and solder it on.i just did it for the first time on my funjet and its as simple as 123.do not spend all your money on expensive lipos.keep the question rolling you just inspired me to the start the build on mine after 2 months
Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 AM
darren94

I was looking at hobbycity.com and their prices are Much cheaper than i expected. Also, sorry for the post under the name super_dave, i was on a buds computer last night and forgot to log in. I am searching hobby city as we speak!

updates coming soon
Old 11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
kremecheze

make sure you buy everything you need from them at the same time,shipping is like 30bucks,so i you and your buddy want to combine stuff that would save you even more money.i usualy grab stuff i dont even need at the time,there esc are so cheap i usualy pick up 2 or 3
Old 11-18-2008, 06:51 PM
besthobbie

I have the t45 composite jet. Love it after i found out the hard way. Make sure you change the control arms on the ailerons which it calls for to be wood. Put nylons or better on them. After that make sure you balance the plane up side down with the battery mlore to the nose. I have a video on you tube besthobbie one word. Maidan flight t45...Any questions let me know...
Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 AM
whissel_blowa

I would not buy flight power batteries period Dave, they are old technology these days and do not hold voltage anywhere near as well as the current crop of chinese cells at half the price.

I used the stock ply horns, soak them in CA first after you have glued the two pieces together, then epoxy them in, never damaged them on a belly landing. As I said before next time round I would fit the horns to the top of the wing and cut slots in the top for the servo horns, leave the bottom smooth if you plan to belly land on grass.

The stock fan is good but needs balancing and careful setup, the stock motor is great if you have the big silver 2842 outrunner, this is a 1000w motor and mine ran around 8-900 watts and did 119mph level flight. I used 4100 4s1p 20c packs at the time, my current 4000mah 25c packs would wipe the floor with the old ones so I may revisit the Hawk in the near future.

I ran a LIGHTNING 60A esc and it was running at 62 amps WOT and I flew hard most of the time, never hit thermal cutout, never a problem, I ran all the servos off the built in switchmode BEC. You dont need to oversize ESC's if you choose a good one to start with. A dualsky 60A with switchmode BEC would be equivalent to mine, which is the same as the flight power ones, just the dualsky is much cheaper!

Here is my Hawk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcoGIaEjn3Q
Old 03-05-2009, 11:34 AM
*Pipe*

Hi guys just got one of the composite t45's
i am somewhat cofused on the speed controller
all the controllers I looked at in the 60 amp range
with a bec are only rated for 3s batteries can someone explain
what I am missing?kinda a noob when it comes to these higher powered
edf's
thx in advance
Old 11-13-2009, 07:48 PM
GarageHanger
My Feedback: (1)

New to this post but here we go. 

I’m in the middle of building the t-45 Ver. 2.1.  I even bought the SAPAC retracts and wheel set( Real nice looking).  The kit came with the 2848 motor and I bought a castle Phoenix 80 amp ESC  to run it.  A 80 amp ESC is what all the t-45's at E-Jets was running and is what Matt from Fan Jets USA recommended.   I also purchased a separate BEC just to be safe.   I'm just gluing the Stabs on tonight and I have several pictures of the project so far if anyone is interested.   So far cutting for the retract's and  rudder has been the toughest.   I'm using the Zippy 4s packs for flight and Installed a HS65hb servo for the rudder.  Plan on using the same for the ailerons and flaps.

Note:  when installing the servo arm to the stabilizer control rod be sure to file a flat spot and cut an old razor bald to fit between the set screw and aluminum control rod.  I found a few horror stories about not doing this. 

Garage Hanger

Old 11-16-2009, 01:26 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: *Pipe*

Hi guys just got one of the composite t45's
i am somewhat cofused on the speed controller
all the controllers I looked at in the 60 amp range
with a bec are only rated for 3s batteries can someone explain
what I am missing?kinda a noob when it comes to these higher powered
edf's
thx in advance
Pipe-

If you go with Castle Creations you will need the Phoenix 80A ESC minimum with their 10A BEC for a 4S lipo setup. If you think you may ever upgrade to 5S lipos you might want to purchase the Phoenix 125A ESC.

By the way, these planes fly great on Rhino 4S2P 4000mAh batteries and if you don't fly flat out all the time you can fly for 4.5 minutes.
Tim
Old 12-10-2009, 09:22 PM
GarageHanger
My Feedback: (1)

Anybody building a V2 t-45?
Old 01-09-2020, 09:14 PM
Yogeshwara

Default Need help in ducting

Hi I just brought the kit . I have the stock plastic ducts . Can anyone of you help me in showing a picture or explaining if the plastic ducts fit the inlet perfectly ? The manual is poor so if you guys can show me a picture of the inlet with plastic ducts it would be helpful .
Old 01-09-2020, 09:20 PM
Yogeshwara

Hi do you have any pictures of how the plastic ducts that come the kit fit inside the plane . Mine bends when I try to insert it in the inlet . Any picture would be helpful