Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 A7 Corsair II opinions and Mods >

A7 Corsair II opinions and Mods

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

A7 Corsair II opinions and Mods

Old 04-17-2009, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A7 Corsair II opinions and Mods

I bought this model and found it to be a bit less than I hoped as far as performance goes.... I made a couple slight mod to it...

First I change out their stock servos with a couple of decent ones that can handle the elevators with some authority. Then I increased the throws for better performance. That stopped it from feeling like I was piloting a boat instead of a jet. Finally, I cut in a triangular cheater hole in the bottom right in front of the fan unit. That really helped with the launches as it now gets all the airflow it wants. Launches are now a breeze. Finally, I had to cut a hole into the windshield I (removed a small square alonig the widow panel line in the very front... not even really noticable) to give the battery better airflow. I then removed the plastic in the "head rest" section of the cockpit and now the air flows right into the batter area while flying.

Then I added a pilot profile and couple bling bling items and got it to a point that makes it a pretty decent jet that gets some looks at the field.

What mods are you all doing? What is your opinion of this bird? It was a bit of an investment to get it, especially since I was into 3s birds and having to buy batteries for the 4s bird cost a few bucks....

Would you buy it again?

Here is my bird.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36403.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1182027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80129.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1182028   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26278.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1182029  
Old 04-18-2009, 07:55 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: A7 Corsair II opinions and Mods

Mine always flew great! Of course I changed out the speed control right from the start because of the feedback everyone was giving about the stock esc. I flew it quite a while with the stock motor and fan. I then changed out the motor and fan for a HET 6904 and ammo 3600kv inrunner and got about 4 flights on it till the plane ripped the elevator servo out and lawndarted into the ground. I liked it so much that I just bought a replacement airframe and I'm in the process of getting it setup to fly. Here's a few pics of the remains.

Name:	Hf98308.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1182871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28807.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1182872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43613.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1182873  
Old 04-20-2009, 10:42 AM

I found the included servos to be poor quality and one of them froze up. replacing them was a bit tricky because of the way the stock wires are routed. I just cut the old servos off and spliced into the old wires so I didnt need to disturbe anything in the body. This is a big, heavy plane and compard to my F-16 and F-4 it is like driving a truck, but it does get some looks on the field.

What are you guys doing to protect the front air scoop from damage? I have tape on mine but it isnt the cleanest look. Any better ideas?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:23 PM

I'm using the intake lip protector from a phase 3 F-16. A little trimming and some canopy glue and your golden.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well this thread wasted my morning pulling out cruise books and looking at old pictures. I was on the Midway and worked on the real plane the model was modeled from.....

Well wasted may be too strong a word, used....
Old 04-23-2009, 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

Well this thread wasted my morning pulling out cruise books and looking at old pictures. I was on the Midway and worked on the real plane the model was modeled from.....

Well wasted may be too strong a word, used....

I curious, how close to the original looks/markings is this plane? Fairly accurate?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Other than the blue looking paint it's pretty accurate. The radome was blue not black... All the markings are correct and the only thing obvious to me is the stars and bars on the wing is a bit off angle. Of note is the E behind the canopy which shows the Battle "E" award. We won it for the second time in 1978, so that dates the plane to 1978 or 1979. Not sure the dates Rocket was aboard but since the plane is the "00" bird it would normally have the Carrier Air Group (CAG)commanders name on it. We were CAG-5 on the Midway. Rocket died a couple years ago. A couple easy to get pics from the 1978 cruise book.... I have a ton of them in a box in the attic....

Name:	Li21327.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1185973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10813.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	1185974  
Old 06-26-2009, 11:33 AM

This spring I purchased my first EDF. An Exceed RC F18 from nitroplanes that flies well. Cany anyone tell me if the A7 Corsair from HL is similar in performance? From the discussion it seems like many folks feel the cheater hole is required. Is this true? I cringe at the thought of cutting into a sleek looking airplane such as this. It also seems like many folks upgrade the fan. If the performance of the stock unit is poor I may consider getting just the airframe and pulling the components together. Can anyone offer up information on what fan, motor, & ESC work best? I will thank anyone who repsonds with information in advance.

Carl

PS - Thanks even-RCU. The photos and your experiance were very interesting!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 PM

Mine flew fine on the stock setup, I'm just one of those people that can't leave something alone. It's a nice stable plane, cruises around just fine, but I was on a mission to make a foam jet fly so fast it would melt from the air friction. I don't have a cheater in mine and really don't plan on cutting one into the airframe.

My F-18 is a slow draggy airframe, but it is so easy to fly that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for a first plane at all. To me the A-7 is just as stable but it looks so much better in the air.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:26 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the fan and the motor with either the Eflite 70mm fan and the Eflite DF15 motor (what I am currently using) or the HET fan and a 2W-20 motor. Either will get you you into the 90 MPH range. The HET setup is a little faster but draws a few more amps than the Eflite. Stock is good for 65-68MPH. You will also have to change out the speed control and BEC but you should do that anyway. Plug up the cheater, is does help the launch and vertical but it will take several MPH of the top. Been there, done that. With the bigger motors the launch and vertical will improve anyway. Your runtime with a 2200-2500ma pack will drop to 3 1/2 to 4 mins of mixed flying so you need good batteries, 25C or better. Ive not had servo problems yet @ almost 75 flights but I do know others who have.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:05 PM

I could not get mine to fly at all.Tried five times.Busted the intake up about two inches. I cut it back to get more airflow. Finally now it got airborn but flew very underpowered. I cut a cheater hole in the foam right on the bottom before the fan, thanks jismail for the suggestion. Make the hole so that airflow gets in more efficiently by using an angle towards the back. Now with a stock setup it flies great. I like it so much I would replace the aiirframe if this one gets really banged up bad. With the stock setup it hauls around pretty fast. I'll bet money that the folks at HL use a cheater hole in alot of their foam jets. Nothing wrong with that, for the money you get a good beater A-7. My little F-4 JP flies fine without a cheater hole, you almost don't have to toss it to get airborn. I'll probable go for a twin EDF next.