Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 Jet Screamer 4500 SMOKED!!! >

Jet Screamer 4500 SMOKED!!!

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Jet Screamer 4500 SMOKED!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Screamer 4500 SMOKED!!!

Has anyone had problems with Jet Screamer motors?

I recently built a Phase 3 f-16 EDF with a JetScreamer 4500, running a CC Phoenix 35 (factory default settings) with 4 cell lipo and BEC. 5 blade Alfa.

The Jet Screamer was the 3rd shipped to me from Hobby Lobby - the first two had the manufacturing problem where the back plate scraped the back of protruding windings (discussed elsewhere I believe).

I finally got a "good one", and got the plane together. It flew great for 6 flights, on the 7th one it failed dramatically with white smoke out the nozzle. The windings are totally baked black.

I know that this plane / motor / esc combo has been discussed a lot in other threads - but has anyone had this happen? I have a friend that has smoked several in similar fashion. Are we just having bad luck? By the specs I know we are running at the limits of the motor(s) but not into the realm of abuse.

I emailed Hobby Lobby a few days ago - I am hoping this time to get a store credit rather than another motor, but they haven't gotten back yet.

I replaced the motor with a Don's Wicked 4800. I have flown it a couple times with the new motor and it seems great (Wicked!) - hopefully it will last awhile.

I mean no disrespect the manufacturer - I know that many fly JetScreamers and have consistently good luck.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:40 PM

Default RE: Jet Screamer 4500 SMOKED!!!

Have you considered that the "specs"/"suggested limits" might be overly optimistic?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:58 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Jet Screamer 4500 SMOKED!!!

ORIGINAL: Dr Kiwi

Have you considered that the "specs"/"suggested limits" might be overly optimistic?
I have. However, if one browses a bit on RC Groups, we'll see numerous examples of people "getting away" with it.

The designer himself recommended the settings used and knew of the application. So something has changed.

I suspect QC issues at the factory cause the last few motors I got from Hobby Lobby all had their motor windings scraping the rear housing.