Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

HC lobby Mig 29

Old 08-30-2009, 10:24 PM
whoanelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HC lobby Mig 29

hey guys ,,1st post ever.ive been flying helis for 3 years and brand new to planes.been flying the stryker and just bought the Mig-29. love that stryker by the way.i binded my mig with my DX6I and spectrum 6100 but it feels like i dont have enough thrust to get off the ground??that stryker wants to jump off the table and the jet doesnt feel the same.is this normal or do you guys think im doing something wrong?

Thanks guys. and ill appologize now ,cause im sure ill have alot of posts,,lol,,cause i really dont know anything about planes..IE,,differential,wing mixing,tail mix???im lost..
Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 PM
whoanelly

Default RE: HC lobby Mig 29

Well i guess know wants to help me even a little,,Thought for my first post id get a little bit of help..guess not..
Old 09-01-2009, 12:49 AM
mark_d

Which Mig are you refering to? Where is HC lobby? Hobby Lobby? Hobby City? (now Hobby King) is it EDF? what size? Stock setup? Got a link? I'll help if I can
Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 AM
whoanelly

Thanks Mark,,i bought it at hobby lobby.its the mig-29 it has 55 mill. fans.all stock setup.i put a spectrum 6100 RX in it and binded with my DX6I. and sorry i dont know what EDF means.im real knew to this.
its this one..
http://www.nitroplanes.com/hchomiedfelt.html.
Thanks again mark.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:32 AM
opjose

You gave the Hobby Lobby Link but you say it is the Nitroplanes one.

I'm confused!!!

-

I have the same plane.

It has NO problems taking off with the included electronics and battery ( see caveats below ).

Make sure that you sand the blade tips a bit to prevent the tips from dragging on the shroud when the fan expands with RPM's.
If this happens the motor can overheat and blow the ESC too.

I did this with mine.

I tested the included 1600mAh battery under load and found it to accept and produce it's rated capacity.

I doubt that it is a 20C pack as it is marked though, more like 15-18C.

Cycle your pack a few times, this may help.

However if the fan is not rubbing, it could be your pack is not able to cope with the power requirements.
Try a different pack.

I find the flight times quite limited with the 1600mAh packs. About 4 minutes with average flying around.

It really needs a bigger pack. I'm going to try to see if I can't stuff something bigger in mine.

On my first flight, someone else took up an L-39. They couldn't resist and he went into dogfight mode which raised a great chuckle from everyone watching.

We had a blast barrel rolling the two planes and trying to get on each other's tail.

The plane flies pretty well, but it really needs EXPO which the included 2.4gHz radio does not provide.

A bigger pack is a MUST IMHO.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:43 AM
whoanelly

ya i had to put nitroplanes cause when i go to hobby lobby,,the plane is gone,,like they took it off their site..thanks for the help..what does expo do,,if you dont mind me asking.
Thanks.cause my DX6I ,,i do have an area for EXPO..
Old 09-01-2009, 12:12 PM
opjose

The point where the control rod linkage connects to the servo arm, rotates around in a CIRCLE.

It is pushing a rod in a straight line.

If you remember your High School Geometry, you'll remember that the motion of a point around a circle translated onto a linear graph produces a sine wave.

So the peak of a sine wave describes the movement of the rod as you move the transmitter stick off center.

In turn that means that MOST of the actual movement of the control surface occurs as you BEGIN to move the stick off center.

That makes the controls VERY responsive around stick center. As you move the stick further out, there is less and less relative movement of the control surfaces.

You "feel" this as the plane being very twitchy and over reactive.

Expo ( you want up to 50% ) corrects for this. It adjusts what the TX puts out to the plane so that as you move the sticks off center, there is an equal amount of control surface movement, as there is when the sticks are further out.

This makes the control movements and the plane feel far more "smooth", and the plane far less twitchy.

Increasing Expo does not affect the overall AMOUNT of control surface movement, but it does control how linearly the surfaces move.

JR/Spektrum radios use NEGATIVE Expo to adjust for linear movement, while Futaba Radios use POSITIVE Expo settings.

-

Re: Hobby Lobby

Yeah they tend to stop selling the same planes when another competitor undercuts the pricing.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:26 PM
mark_d

Nice looking plane, I'm jealous[sm=teeth_smile.gif]. The '29 is my favorite. EDF = electric ducted fan usually refers to the fan unit. Since a prop is more efficient than a fan at producing thrust that sounds like you just may be use to the stryker. Opjose says his came with a 1600 mAh battery but the Nitroplanes site says 2200 that sounds better, which do you have?
if you want to feel better about the static thrust and have a postal scale see how much thrust you have by setting the plane on it's wheels and setting the nose against the scales to see how much you are getting. Very few have near 1:1 power to thrust, 1:.5 should fly fine from gear or bungee.

Exponential allows you to adjust a control so it is "soft " around one end or the other, I can never remember which is which + makes it less sensitive around neutral but still gives the full control deflection I think and - makes it sensitive around neutral and less at the extremes. You want less sensitive around neutral usually I usually set it up that way any way and make sure I have dual rates set with one 25% more deflection than the other. If you can roll off the ground for at least the first flight and get as much speed as you can before rotating, fan powered models don't have any air flow forced over the control surfaces by a prop so they can get mushy at slow speeds.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:44 PM
opjose

Yeah mine definitely came with a 1600mAh battery pack.

A 2200mAh pack does not fit in without some modifications.

I think the web site has the pack mislabeled.

On tests my plane has just shy of about 1:1 on a fresh pack.

I haven't put the plane on a scale to test it, but it can almost sustain it's own weight on it's thrust when pointed straight up.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:58 PM
whoanelly

Thank you,,great explanation..
Old 09-01-2009, 02:11 PM
whoanelly

hey thanks Mark,,great info..1 more question..how much runway do you think it would take before liftoff?.
if i go with what opjose says about it almost being able to hold it self up ,then i think i have enough thrust..
Thanks Guys..
Old 09-01-2009, 02:30 PM
opjose

As mark_d pointed out, you need a good bit of runway to get the plane up to speed before attempting to take off.

I fly off a 500' runway.

I started half way down the runway, and ran it up slowly to make sure it was tracking properly.

Then I gave it full throttle and waited before pulling the nose up.

I would say it needs about 150-200' or so to be safe.

The first 30 seconds of flight were QUITE hairy, as the plane was not trimmed out, dropping the nose ( I needed more UP then I expected ), rolling, and over reactive.

Even once I got it trimmed out I found it quite sensitve in roll.

I tend to like high throws and a quick response, but since that flight I put in a different receiver so I can use my JR DSM2 2.4gHz TX's with it and dial in Expo.

Under power it lands pretty well and in a VERY jetlike nose high manner.

I would recommend that immediately after you have it trimmed, that you start practicing approaches.

Also keep it high and CLOSE at all other times. Once you loose power it drops airspeed FAST and drops like a brick.

With a little power it will seem to float on by, but with no power, you need the height to get it down - NOW - with some airspeed.

I tried a good approach on my maiden with it, but the plane was vearing sideways because of a light wind.

I decided to go around ( MISTAKE! ) and try again, and I lost power turning out of the approach.

I had insufficient height ( about 16 feet or less ) and low airspeed. The nose dropped straight down and I crushed the nose of the plane.

Fortunately I was able to slowly pull it back straight with a little careful tugging and a heat gun set VERY VERY LOW.

A little paint and it was good as new.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:26 PM
whoanelly

ya im a little disapointed in the package..none of the srews seem to work.i had to use some from my helicopter stuff..and the little clip that hold down the landing gear with a screw through it only came with 2 and they werent long enough.directions show 4,,so im gonna have to figure out what to use to add 2 of these..poor directions,,doesnt even say what size screws.and i was trying to get it up in the air after about a 100'..so i will try again..but really excited about this plane.cant wait..thanks again for yur guys help.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM
opjose

I didn't have problems with the screws and enough were provided, though you may have been shorted.

The gear actually held up well to my crash and I merely had to bend one back out a bit to get things straightened out again.

Yeah the directions always seem to be worthless on Asian ARF's.

Some importers write their own manuals and bump up the prices greatly on some of these planes... ugh.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 PM
whoanelly

by anychance would you know where to find parts for this plane??and thanks again for all yur help..
Old 09-06-2009, 04:27 PM
rchobbytime

I bought my HC Hobby Mig from www.rtfrcairplanes.com, I talked to them, they have parts coming in stock in 2 weeks!
Old 09-12-2009, 07:20 PM
whoanelly

appretiate your help but that website doesnt seem to come up,,says it might be spelled wrong.??
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:07 PM
what?

Also I was on the web and i sow that www.xenonproject.com had the mig 29 in stock. I will be ordering mine very soon.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:11 PM
whoanelly

well i tried that mig-29,,and i thought it was horrible,,top speed was about 45mph..definatly needs some motor upgrades wich also means ESC upgrades..my opinion it was junk