Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

House Of Balsa F-86 build.

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

House Of Balsa F-86 build.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Devilbrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House Of Balsa F-86 build.

Hey all, new guy here from California, name is Brad. I just stumbled upon (and bought!) a new in box HOB F-86 from 1982, complete with the fan unit and .21 engine for what I consider a very reasonable price. While researching I have discovered this kit is now made by EJF with modern touches and specifically an EDF setup. I am planning on using an EDF instead of the gas engine. I'm farely new to RC airplanes and what the hot items to use are, all my RC experience is with electric and gas off road cars. Any help steering me in the correct direction would be appreciated. I have always been in love with F-86's, so this is a dream come true. I think I will be finishing it in the Utah Air National Guard theme as shown on BVM's website and below. Hopefully some of you can give some insight on to how to do this build with EDF products available today. I'll also be looking into ideas for retracts, tires, and radio electronics (I currently have a Spektrum DX6i), etc etc. Thanks guys! Heres the UTANG theme on the right.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Larry Dudeck
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: House Of Balsa F-86 build.

I just happen to come across this thread and decided to look into it as the F86 is a favorite of mine.

Your F86 is is a great looking plane and should be good flier. But if it were mine and I didn't have much R/C plane experience in general and little or no EDF experience, I'd use some other plane for the learning curve.

Dealing with EJF is a good plan as Robert Wagoner will not steer you in the wrong direction.

What is the WS of the plane? Do you have a paved runway to fly from?

Please keep RCU informed of your progress. There are a lot of readers who prefer ARFs but a few of us still build and will enjoy your thread.

Here's my scratch built, 42" WS F86. She is pushed by a 75mm EDF, flies very well but needs a bungee launch. Our grass field is very rough and she doesn't develop enough thrust to push through the bumpy grass.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29011.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1287371  
Old 10-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Devilbrad

Hey Larry! Nice looking bird! My kit is also 42" WS. I just picked up a 68mm RCLander fan and am going to fully duct the F-86. Do you run ducting? How big is the opening in the nose of your's?
Old 10-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Larry Dudeck

The air inlet of mine is sized for a 75 mm fan and measures ~2.75".

My fan of choice is the 68 mm Wemotech MF480 and with these I aim for an inlet diameter of 2.4" and an outlet diameter of 2.14"

Essentially the diameter of the air inlet should equal the "free swept area" of the fan. The FSA is the area of the shroud minus the area of the spinner. A good rule of thumb is the air outlet is ~85% of the inlet size.

Ducting makes or breaks an EDF but the F86 is the easiest to duct as it is straight in - straight out. I try to maintain a constant cross sectional area inlet duct to minimize entrance losses.

Any idea what the weight will be? Most of the F86's this size are flown on a 90mm fan but I'm able to use a smaller fan as the AUW is only 43 oz.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Devilbrad

My inlet is exactly 2.5", the 68mm fan has an OD of 3.125" and rolls in to 2.75". I was gonna run a 3 or 3.125" ID tube from nose to fan. Still deciding on the outlet tube diameter. Fan ID on exhaust side is 2.75". The builds of this plane I have seen fall in the 4.5-6 lb range. I'm gonna try my best to keep it on the lighter side. Here are some pics. Ignore the orange ducted fan, thats the glow powered fan originally designed for this model in 1980.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Devilbrad

Original owner started the build.  Nothing was lined up, so I took it all apart and realigned it and made some locators for fuselage top.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Larry Dudeck

I just looked at your post on "the other" forum. You now have some of the very best EDF guys in your corner.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Devilbrad

I was gonna link you there, but wasnt sure of the appropriateness!