Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 I want to just drop in a electric motor in a Dynamax, Ramtech or BVM fan unit Help! >

I want to just drop in a electric motor in a Dynamax, Ramtech or BVM fan unit Help!

Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

I want to just drop in a electric motor in a Dynamax, Ramtech or BVM fan unit Help!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:33 PM
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to just drop in a electric motor in a Dynamax, Ramtech or BVM fan unit Help!

I have some dusty jets. One with a Dynamax, one with Ramtech and the other with a BVM unit. I want to convert to electric.

In short.

Is there a drop in electric motor out there for these units?

Who's motors?

Whose adapter kits?

What kind of performance can I expect?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I want to just drop in a electric motor in a Dynamax, Ramtech or BVM fan unit Help!

Fred at Dyn-e-Max.com Has all the nice stuff I have three and all are killer fans
XPS has a large out runner for a dynamax
there are several discussions on the Dynamax conversion on the forums including RCgroups

http://dyn-e-max.com/fan_kits.html

MF
Old 10-17-2009, 08:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: I want to just drop in a electric motor in a Dynamax, Ramtech or BVM fan unit Help!

Be aware that several $ thousands of dollars ARE needed. With really big & powerfull jets money is absolutly NO OBJECT.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:17 AM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be aware that several $ thousands of dollars ARE needed. With really big & powerfull jets money is absolutly NO OBJECT.
if your talking per jet.. that's not entirely ture... to do all three yes

but he can get a Dyn-E-Max ($555) or the XPS ($435) ... you can use 12s 30c 5000 XPS, Tunigy, ZIppy... all around $250 a set of 12s
Or pay a bit more and get the Hyperion G3 which are very good cells but will it $450 for a set of 12s 35c 5000
also the Thunderpower are very good too....

one thing to be careful of that some have had problems with.. what are the planes you want to convert? many old low setups only few 100mph (like the byrons)
now with all the power of electric these same plane can get up to 150 and the BVM..Yellow aircraft air close too 200 with some setups

So your servos, linkages and airframe have to handel the extra stress

Ron
Old 10-17-2009, 11:34 AM

Add in a great....................

speed control
charger
power supply ...dc or ac
heavy battery & motor wires
power plugs connectors
voltmerter

More than 1 power pack............like 3 or more........so you can get in a couple of flights in a morning.............Remember. you will probably discharge at around 15C to 20C. Recharge is only 2C so cooling down & recharging take much longer than a nitro refuel.

Redundant high speed servo power supplies.
Possibly stronger servos to handle the definately higher speeds that you could do.
Heavier servo leaded servos.

These planes have a habit of collecting a LOT of bits & pieces compared to Nitros.

Rich

Old 10-17-2009, 04:44 PM

Old mind forgets things like cost of fuel per flight.

These 25C to over +40C WOT vertical climb outs to out of sight, ARE absolute DEATH on the full power life span of LIPOS. Be happy with +20 vertical out of sight flights.

Nitro & turbines have .0001% loss of power after several hours of WOT in out of sight flights........................Batteries are the BIG inital & continuing expense.

I am lucky I can find the mens room at 71 years.

Rich

Another edit : Want to add a real afterburner ????????????????? Guess who gets a tailcone with a spray nozzle. Not the electric. Unless it is a Titanium, front driven fan by Byron.............MAYBE, the electric motor would survive the huge amounts of radiated infrared heat waves on it by the after burner. MAYBE.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:39 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

WOW Rich you really hate electric lol. Batteries are a big upfront expense but they can last over 200 cycles with the new generation batts. Not to mention you dont get all that nasty nitro on you and your plane. You dont burn out glow plugs every other flight and you dont fly just above stall speed like the glow stuff. Turbines in alot of areas are not allowed like around where I live. Also I work on full scale turbines all day and if I had to come home and work on one one i nside a model I would probably stab it with a screw driver. I like just plugging in and going with no oil mess. Each has its advantage.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:41 AM

I only fly electrics. From scratch built 40" Cubs to 81" A 10 Hogs. LIFEPO4's for power. A123 Large & small.

Reality never is a lot of fun for everyone.

Rich