Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

My parkzone HABU

Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My parkzone HABU

ORIGINAL: perfeet

Because of the need to protect the plane from scratches/dents etc during transport to and from the airfield, I made a soft transport cover for the Habu.
I will carry the plane under my arm, when not in the car/buss/train. Also put on some foam to protect the tailunit from accidental bumps on objects/walls etc.

[img][/img]

More pictures here the cover and the making of it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/perfeet...7623154979166/

Comments appreciated.

Also will have my maiden flight with the Habu (and my first plane) tomorrow [img][/img]. Very excited.
Good luck on your maiden flight
Old 01-15-2010, 09:38 PM
gary41
My Feedback: (5)

I'm with you, perfeet...RIGHT ON! You came up with a great solution to the hazards that your circumstances present to your situation. I am sure there are others that will benefit from your solution.

Best of luck with your maiden flight. Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:41 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Yea Perfeet, don't worry about him. Great job!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:22 AM
perfeet

Hi everyone

Thanks for the support!

I had my maiden trip today and it was very fun, but had an abrupt end on battery number five.

The Habu flies very well and powerwise it is pretty good. It glides very well and is easy to land (even for a newbie like me).

Did rolls, loops, a little inverted, low passes. Very nice plane.

But on the 5th the light was getting bad, and my flying buddy was chatting with me. Those two things together made me dumb thumb and pull the stick the wrong way. It dove straight down and had a nose landing.One foot of powder did not help much . We had to scrapesome of the pieces from the ground under the snow...

Look at the carnage below. Esc, lipoand fuselage is smashed +++

It will fly again...

Some questions:

1. I like to paint my plane in a visible paint scheme (f.ex red and white)
Anyone have some good pics or suggestions?

2. What paint is safe to use on this fuselage/foam? Need for base coat?

3. Will the Turnigy 80A Esc work as a good replacement for the ESC?

4. I have lots of 2500 mah 6s batteries (420 grams), should I get a 6s setup?
If so What motor and fan combo would work. More power is wanted (About 1200W plus/minus), but not insane...

Thanks in advance for any reply!

Old 01-16-2010, 05:28 PM
wind junkie

Sorry to see that Perfeet.

You can probably fix most of that by steaming or boiling the foam to get back into shape in the areas which are crushed. Then Gorilla glue will fill the voids well. Top that with minor lightweight spackle and finish with Krylon H20 primer for your paint. Any paint will work so use what you like and your environment will allow don't worry about the foam as it can handle all painting chemicals.

Although I've not yet flown mine, I've heard great things about the 6S Fury (RC Lander) fan. It sounds great, comes fully assembled and balanced too. I got mine from Schulman:

http://www.shulmanaviation.com/shopexd.asp?id=219

Don Shulman is good to deal with and also sells ESCs.

Joe
Old 01-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

perfeet,

Sorry to see your Habu damage. As an experienced R/Cer, I can tell you that a series of "unfortunate events" can even cause an advanced pilot to have a crash. We have typically seen three wrong events cause problems for even advanced pilots. The low light in the evening always seems to be one of them.

Red and white are the colors that I can best see but it is a personal choice as all eyes have their own optimal contrast with colors. I have found that acrylic enamel paint works well on foam. I don't have any experience with the Turnigy ESCs but have read that most EDF users set them to hard timing. As you add weight with a bigger motor and cell count, the plane's performance may not behave as desired. The Habu is an excellent foam design but was meant to fly with intermediate skills. The thickness of the foam wing and tail dictate the drag. I would not recommend more than a 5s setup. If you want more speed, try a quality fiberglass design like the Aeronaut F9F Panther.

Good luck on your repairs!

Regards.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:19 PM
BigD
My Feedback: (179)

Flew my Habu for the first time this morning. Cold, gray skies with a slight breeze.....My buddy was somewhat launch challenged but he finally managed to throw it correctly and we were flying. Very nice speed envelope. I think this jet is good value for the money. Excellent overall construction and quality and lot's of fun. Holds speed very nicely, in fact I had a hard time slowing it down for belly landings on the snow. I put dayglow strips on the bottom of the fuse and wings to increase visibility and it works well for my tired 59 yr. old eyes. I am pleased with this plane and consider it to be a step up from some of the foamie jets out there. I have another one in the box and am considering some of the hop ups for that one.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Greg Covey

We also maidened the Habu today because it was calm and relatively warm outside for January in Upstate, NY. The Habu would sometimes blend into the grey skies but the yellow trim helped a great deal with orientation.

Flight times were quite long and lasted a good 8 to 10 minutes. We were surprised at the top-end speed of the Habu as it is quite quick. However, we expected it to be agile and stable and the Habu did not disappoint us. The stock power level is very strong and we could climb until the plane started blending into the grey sky. My hand-launch seemed easy and very little trim was needed.

Like BigD, we discovered that the Habu does hold speed very nicely. When belly landing in the snow, the glide across the park went further than expected and came to rest just before reaching a side street. The slide across the snow caused no scratch marks.

I'll post a video soon showing the glide capability, agility, and speed of the Habu.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81670.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1358393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93890.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1358394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38456.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1358395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67927.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1358396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65702.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1358397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri68779.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1358398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs28727.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1358399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ts63397.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1358400  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rq15048.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1358401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht88557.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1358402  
Old 01-18-2010, 12:11 AM
badflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

My apologies perfeet I was just kidding. Its my Brooklyn personlty. I'd hide mine also on public transportation. Please don't be offended. SoRry about your crash.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 AM
perfeet

ORIGINAL: badflyboy

My apologies perfeet I was just kidding. Its my Brooklyn personlty. I'd hide mine also on public transportation. Please don't be offended. SoRry about your crash.

Hibadflyboy

Thanks for the reply

You can wonder if it is nessecary to have a cover for the plane when transporting it, when I ram it into the ground like an arrow in 50-60 mph
Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM
flyrcjets

ORIGINAL: perfeet

ORIGINAL: badflyboy

Hi badflyboy

Thanks for the reply [img][/img]

You can wonder if it is nessecary to have a cover for the plane when transporting it, when I ram it into the ground like an arrow in 50-60 mph [img][/img]
Well... the cover would have kept all the pieces together for you!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Greg Covey

Here is the video that goes with the photos above. The whole flight used only 66% of the pack. We found the Habu to be a very efficient and stable design. A few trim clicks after the toss and we were ready to go! The Habu flies inverted and glides very well. When landing on snow, it was difficult to slow down but the plane lands very predictably.

[link=http://www.gregcovey.com/reviews/Habu.wmv]ParkZone Habu Test Flying Video[/link] (16meg)
Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Thanks for the video Greg. If that flight was on the stock set-up, it seems to fly very well.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 PM
skirack

I am not an expert pilot so I am not looking for extreme speed from my Habu yet, can someone recommend the best battery in terms of cost, performance and fit. I have converted the ESC to Deans controller.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 PM
flyrcjets

ORIGINAL: skirack

I am not an expert pilot so I am not looking for extreme speed from my Habu yet, can someone recommend the best battery in terms of cost, performance and fit. I have converted the ESC to Deans controller.
I'm using Hyperion 4 cell 3250mah 35C, 5C max charge rate, at a cost of around $110. Seems to work very nice in the Habu. I also use a TP 3250 4 cell 45C , they cost alot morebut can be recharged all the way up to 17.9 amps! Very nice.
Either way go for a 30c to 35c rated lipo for better performance.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 PM
relkik

HOW DO I MAKE MY HABU FASTER??

thanks to all!
richie
Old 01-27-2010, 11:59 PM
flyrcjets

ORIGINAL: relkik

HOW DO I MAKE MY HABU FASTER??

thanks to all!
richie
A kobi turbine
Old 01-28-2010, 01:45 AM
relkik

i couldnt find anything on kobi turbines on google... do they have another name? lol
Old 01-28-2010, 04:11 AM
Boomerang1

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my Habu today, one question. Is the plastic tape that hides the servo leads 'structural'?
Mine has webbed away from where the wing meets the fuse, the easiest fix is to cut it & just pat
it down. But if it's used in tension to stop the wing folding [X(].

You mean Kolibri turbines:

http://www.lambert-modellturbinen.de/html/english.html

A friend has one, it's a gem, & he's thinking of fitting one to the Habu. - John.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30013.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	1366263  
Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 AM
KFX450

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

I am kind of a noob to these forums and I was wondering if you guys might be able to help me with something. I currently fly nitro but I am very fed up with it, the mess, the clean up, the constant tinkering with the motors etc..etc.. I want to move into electric. I have a parkzone micro p-51 and su-26 ( the only electrics that I own) and I love the fact of just being able to fly. I am going to be purchasing the Habu in the next coming months but seeing how I am somewhat new to electrics, I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:

1, In these forums I am reading you get anywhere from 4-8 minute flights. How long does it take to charge the battery with the supplied charger in the BNF version?? Reason I ask is under 10 min flights, but an hour to charge a battery??????

2, Im gathering I would need to buy extra batteries for it. Do you guys recomend anything that would be good for this but doesnt break the bank at the same time.

3, Do you recomend a good charger?? One that I could take to field and charge these lipo's in a good amount of time so I am doing less charging, and more flying???

I'm not really looking to start changing motors and esc's, so if you could recomend batteries that would fit the stock set up would be great.

I would really appreciate any help you guy's might have on this..Thanks in advance
Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 AM
relkik

it sure looks nice but its too pricyy.. it least for me.. i was thinkin about maybe more cells or a bigger more.. what do u guys think?
thanks
Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 AM
relkik

if you are gonna start with electic you need to know about this site :hobbycity.com best prices ever, for ex they have 1s lipos for the parkzone su-26 for $1.59 !! shipping is alot so make sure u make 1 shopping cart lol. so you can order a good charger for like 80 or even 60 bux and any 4s lipo 3200 mah with 35c.
good luck
Old 01-28-2010, 11:44 AM
wind junkie

Stock and most chargers will take ~1 hour to charge from average discharge (5 mins full throttle). That is usually the recommened rate for Charge. You can go faster but depending on cell quality and other factors you may be wearing out your batts faster.

I like these batteries for my Habu:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10100

Lighter and a little more "oomph" than the stock batteries. Also at $40 each (less shipping) much less than what you will buy from PZ for the stock battery.

The Turnigy chargers are also inexpensive and very nice:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7523

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7028

Here is a very popular charger from Value Hobby:

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=13&item_id=87
Old 01-28-2010, 03:24 PM
KFX450

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks so much for all the info I really appreciate it.

I did end up buying the lipos for my micros some time ago from Hobby City. got 10 of them as the lipos that came with the su and the p-51 did not last long at all. I was a little skeptical because everything was so cheap, but I got the batteries yesterday with no issues. So I am really happy with Hobby City.

Thanks again for the info...It helps a lot...
Old 01-28-2010, 09:23 PM
flyrcjets

ORIGINAL: relkik

i couldnt find anything on kobi turbines on google... do they have another name? lol
Yep try Lambert or look here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=586001

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.