Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

My parkzone HABU

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My parkzone HABU

ORIGINAL: perfeet

I ran my Habu on 5s for three flights. It flies great. New 80A esc. Fan/motor stock.
Unlimited vertical!

According to posts in another forum most agree that the motor can handle 5s if not going WOT for long periods of time.

I had 15-30 second periods with WOT in my flights yesterday.
The power systems seems to handle that without any problems

Time will tell if the motor will hold up, but so far it looks good [img][/img]

Good deal! I have a twister that I run with 4cells and I heard the same thing about it frying but after almost three years it runs fine, but again I use the throttle to keep it FROM frying. The esc that comes with the Habu IS a 5cell speed control so no worries!
Have fun and let us know if you encounter any issue! Thanks!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:26 PM
KFX450

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This question is for windjunkie

I just got my habu today and I noticed in another thread you were addressing the issue with the gap between the wing and the fuse. I have a gap in this area and there was a mod with the rawl plugs hat was shown. Is this mod neccessary? The gap is not huge but I don't want to start drilling in the wing of my new plane. Any thoughts would be much appreciated
Old 02-14-2010, 06:04 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Hello KFX450,

I didn't have an issue on my plane with the wing to fuselage gap. I have read others with problems in this area for two reasons:

1) fan mount will not allow assembly due to slight mis-alignment
2) plastic wing hold down which accepts the metal screw into the fuselage not installed correctly from the factory.

Either of these can be fixed with a little work.

The gap on my plane is less than 1/8" in most areas and more like 1/16". I think it's really just a costmetic issue because normally fans don't like to be starved for air and these intakes are just not clean enough to care if even a little more air squeezes in a small crack like we're talking about. (remember, the intakes are under vacuum all the time).

I bet in your case it's most likely an interference issue with the rear of the saddle and possibly the fan itself. I would simply inspect the area where the two surfaces mate and trim any foam in the fan area which prevents the nice "clamshell effect"wing from seating to the fuselage with an exacto knife.

As long as when the screw in the front is tightened down, the bottom fuse/wing surface looks flush like my pics show, I don't think it's a problem.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45293.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1378877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36725.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1378878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22924.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1378879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45432.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1378880  
Old 02-14-2010, 06:27 PM
skirack

In regards to the gap issue I was also concerned when I assembled the plane right out of the box and had a slight gap. I found that if kept some pressure on the aileron wires as I reconnected the wing and fuselage the gap pretty much went away. I did notice on taxing today that wings did vibrate a bit, it is a snug fit and I don't think I am going to worry about it.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:17 PM
KFX450

Thanks guys, and thanks for the pics windjunkie.... Here is a pic of mine, sorry if it is not too close up, had to use the cell phone. I guess I relatively have the same gap. The manual says not to accept any gap, just wanted to make sure before I took it out for the maiden. These forums are great and thanks again..Saves a lot of aggrevation....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62779.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1379059  
Old 02-15-2010, 02:49 AM
perfeet

ORIGINAL: KFX450

Thanks guys, and thanks for the pics windjunkie.... Here is a pic of mine, sorry if it is not too close up, had to use the cell phone. I guess I relatively have the same gap. The manual says not to accept any gap, just wanted to make sure before I took it out for the maiden. These forums are great and thanks again..Saves a lot of aggrevation....
You shoud have NO problem with that small gap...

ORIGINAL: flyrcjets

Good deal! I have a twister that I run with 4cells and I heard the same thing about it frying but after almost three years it runs fine, but again I use the throttle to keep it FROM frying. The esc that comes with the Habu IS a 5cell speed control so no worries!
It is not recommended to use the stock ESC for 5s. Setup on 5s pulls about 66 Amps.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:47 AM
flyrcjets

ORIGINAL: perfeet

You shoud have NO problem with that small gap...

It is not recommended to use the stock ESC for 5s. Setup on 5s pulls about 66 Amps.
Look at the eflite esc manual. IT IS a 5 cell ESC! You have to reprogram it for 5 cells, just so you know.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:52 AM
perfeet

Look at the eflite esc manual. IT IS a 5 cell ESC! You have to reprogram it for 5 cells, just so you know.
It can actually run up to 6s.

The ESC is rated to 60A. You will be pushing the ESC to hard on a 5s setup.
Partial throttle is even worse on the ESC. Produces even more heat.

There are a few who have tried the stock ESC on 5s and it gets HOT....Very hot. When it gets hot enough it goes into thermal shutdown, meaning no motor power.

Recommend a 80A ESC for 5s.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:47 AM
diamondbtoys

I too noticed the gap issue, mine is roughly 1/8" on bothsides, the front and rear mounts flush and tight, I have 5 flights on it so far and no issues in regards to flight abnormalities. She flies as smooth a silk. But, it does concern me if/when I start doing inverted flight passes, or outside loops, the negative g/s pulling more of the wing apart from the fuselage does bother me.

I did completely remove the wing, and the DF to give everything another look over, 1 screw on the DF mount was loose[:@], so I lock-Tite every screw on the plane. The DF sits perfect and flush,, aileron wires tucked in but still have the gap. Actually looking to make 2 more screw mounts one on each mid section of the wing into the fuselage to snug and secure the wing better. I flight ready the Habu, then flipped it over while holding the mid part of the wing, the gap increased another 1/16" or so. [>:]

And while I was at it, the Rudder itself moves a bit too much for my liking, movement at the two brackets that sandwhich the rudder inplace(Yellow), so I mod the two brackets so they would hold the rudder tighter, I sanded the Inner Tabs roughly a 32nd of an inch so when you screw the two pieces together it would tighten up the rudder much much better.

,,,and while the rudder is off,,,,I noticed yet another issue where the two Elevatorpush rods would bind under that tiny square cap when you use Full Up Elevator,,actuallly was from mid to full,,,so I removed that cap and use an Xacto blade to trim a small sliver of foam from Under The Push Rods of the elevator,,,no bind,,,no servo chatter....

,,,,,annnnnnd anyone else concerned with the elevator pushrod being soldered to the other??? [:-] I just see and have experienced in the past the loss and a nice and expensive aircraft to a 50cent fix part,,,,this bird cost me 400 smackers! ,,,,,,time to reove the tail section,,,,,,,again.[>:]

Other than that,,,,damn nice ducky fan bird!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:05 PM
KFX450

I am also getting the friction on the elevator and the servo chatter. I will give that mod a whack and let you know how I make out.

Have another question

What method are you guys using to get your center of gravity? I am used to flying 60 size aircraft and this is my first edf. I have a great planes machine but it definitely does not go to the root of the wing. Machine is too big for the habu. Thanks again
Old 02-15-2010, 02:47 PM
skirack

I just finished part two of the video I did on my installation of the Eflite retracts: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF3au1C5OyE]Habu Retract Install Part 2[/link]
I liked you work and adopt some of your techniques when I forced to make some repairs from an inevitable crash.

Here some other videos of the Habu in action over the weekend at the Remote Controlled Association of Central Florida (RCACF) [link=http://www.rcacf.com]RCACF Club Website[/link]

Test flight of another retract installation by Mike Vivona of RCACF: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LToAawZLDrA]Vivona Test Flight After Eflite Retract Installation [/link]

Dual Habu Fly at RCACF: [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmB5HyYBHCw]Dual Habus Fly [/link]
Old 02-15-2010, 04:13 PM
diamondbtoys

I am also getting the friction on the elevator and the servo chatter. I will give that mod a whack and let you know how I make out.

Have another question

What method are you guys using to get your center of gravity? I am used to flying 60 size aircraft and this is my first edf. I have a great planes machine but it definitely does not go to the root of the wing. Machine is too big for the habu. Thanks again

According to Habu manual, 4inches from leading edge at root of the wing,,,,,I take two fingers and make a 'peace sign' V 4 inches back,,,,under the wing/fuse,,,make sure eveything is in place and flight ready,,,mine is a tad nose heavy,,,,takes maybe 2 seconds to drop the nose once after I hold it level,,,,and once in flight,,I have not had to trim out... only on fast passes I have to trim nose down 1 or 2 clicks on Tx.

So far So Good on my Habu ! Whew! she is faster than anything I every flown,,,,,rc related any way...
Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM
KFX450

Thanks again..Being low wing, is this balanced inverted????? Or right side up??..Can't waitto get this thing out. Just want to make sure everything is right..
Old 02-15-2010, 07:40 PM
wind junkie

Inverted is easier. I usually just do right side up with the "peace sign" as diamondbtoys describes to get a "rough feel" without measuring anything to see if something is obviously wrong (like maybe leaving a screwdriver in the nose, or whatever)

There shouldn't be much cause to suspect a CG issue if using all stock components. There really is no variable (like you might get if using a natural material like WOOD).

To be honest, I just screwed mine together, charged and chucked it. I always tweak the CG after the first flight after doing the inverted test to see how much down elevator is needed to maintain level flight. I don't like more than 1/8 stick or so for this kind of plane, and it was in that ballpark with all stock equipment.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:42 PM
KFX450

Thanks again windjunkie....
Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 AM
KFX450

Hey guys,

Will something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300361203112

work for this

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7523

I am just trying to find a good powersource I can just plug into the wall for the accucel-8....I really appreciate the help. I'm new to electric and there seems to be so much out there my mind is getting fried...Thanks

Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 AM
perfeet

NO! You can't use that kind of power supply for your charger.

You need a power supply like the one you find below. That is a 13,8V powersupply with an output of more than the 150w needed for the charger.
The brand I use is Hop Wo (I got mine in a norwegian webshop)

I am sure other people can give more details about other good power supplies in other web stores.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 AM
KFX450

Thank you...I'm going to do a little shopping around, but anybody with any other ideas would be much appreciated...Thanks PERFEET
Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 PM
rmillerawacs
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: wind junkie

I think the ''whole world'' is about to switch to the yellow XT 60s given Hobby City's influence:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9572

I ordered a bunch myself to be arriving next week.
OOO I Like Those... they are on backorder now!! I will have to get some on my next hobbyking order!!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:03 PM
rmillerawacs
My Feedback: (20)

What would be the a good all around set-up for a 5 or 6 cell setup? Is there a drop in motor for this fan unit? Or will do I need to get a whole new fan and motor? Also just wondering if could get all this stuff form Hobby King. Try to do a budget modded Habu?? Thanks Everyone!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:40 PM
KFX450

Maidened my Habu the other day off the frozen lake I live on..Plane is awesome, 2 clicks of right aileron and the jet was flying level and straight.

Did come accross a problem maybe someone can answer for me...

I only flew it for a good 3-4 minutes tops, took it back in the house, hit the electronics switch to off but kept the battery plugged in. ( I know I shouldn't have ). I went to charge the battery today to go fly it, and when I hooked the supplied charger up to my truck battery it beeped and light was blinking green saying ready to charge. When I plugged the lipo into the port I got nothing. Green light still blinking. Hit the start button, nothing at all. I took apart the charger just to see if any soldering was broken, and nothing...I am waiting for a turnigy charger that I ordered ( thanks to Windjunkie's recomendations, thanks by the way) but this is the charger I have to deal with until then...Any ideas??? Did I kill this battery by leaving it plugged to the esc in the plane??? When I hit the switch in the plane, nothing, so I am assuming the battery is completly drained..

Somebody help...Thank...
Old 02-17-2010, 07:08 PM
diamondbtoys

Maidened my Habu the other day off the frozen lake I live on..Plane is awesome, 2 clicks of right aileron and the jet was flying level and straight.

Did come accross a problem maybe someone can answer for me...

I only flew it for a good 3-4 minutes tops, took it back in the house, hit the electronics switch to off but kept the battery plugged in. ( I know I shouldn't have ). I went to charge the battery today to go fly it, and when I hooked the supplied charger up to my truck battery it beeped and light was blinking green saying ready to charge. When I plugged the lipo into the port I got nothing. Green light still blinking. Hit the start button, nothing at all. I took apart the charger just to see if any soldering was broken, and nothing...I am waiting for a turnigy charger that I ordered ( thanks to Windjunkie's recomendations, thanks by the way) but this is the charger I have to deal with until then...Any ideas??? Did I kill this battery by leaving it plugged to the esc in the plane??? When I hit the switch in the plane, nothing, so I am assuming the battery is completly drained..

Somebody help...Thank...

Funny you just mentioned about the charger,,,I can not seem to charge in 3S,,only 4S....it's as if the charger does not even know the battery is there plus I tried 4 additional 3S batteries and nothing.. ( double checked all batteries with an Eflite charger I have,,and alls good )

But,,,I did have an issue twice were the charger would not want to charge anything,,,after sitting for a few hours unplugged it did work again with no issues,,,so far..... just still no 3S charging..... perhaps just a crappy charger?

The manual does indicate Not to leave it plugged in for a period of time,,,,I don't even use the switch,,,connect battery to fly, then disconnect after flight..[&:]

Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to balance charge it again??
Old 02-17-2010, 07:13 PM
KFX450

Well I just talked to Horizon hobby support and he said because I left the battery plugged in, the battery is junk!!!!! He said even with a very good charger its not going to detect any volts to charge...I guess I live and learn on this one, being new to the electric scene, but is this true??? Is the battery I have now junk???? It's hard to believe..I guess I will be hitting Hobby City again..I just hate throwing money out the window for something like that..I probably should have paid more attention.Anybody been through this???
Old 02-17-2010, 09:22 PM
skirack

I am afraid the same thing happened to me when I forgot to disconnect the battery after the last flight of the day. I found the stock ESC on the Habu warmed up pretty good while being plugged in during the bench installation of my eflite retracts. Like me it will probably be a mistake you will only make once. I also don't trust the power switch and I like to disconnect after flight to make sure that I safe the battery during transit.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 PM
wind junkie

Yea, that switch is really only an "arming switch". I don't think it's particularly useful in an EDF especially if it invites accidentally draining the battery if you use that switch and forget to unplug the battery ( I hear ya KFX450).

On high power prop planes an arming switch of some kind makes sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.