Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

My parkzone HABU

Old 04-14-2010, 05:34 PM
rcpollo
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My parkzone HABU

To anyone who has cut holes in the fuse to keep the ESC cool, can you post photos? I'm not sure where to cut so it flows over the ESC and out the duct. thanks.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:42 PM
skirack

I added the eflite retracts without a gear door, lots of air flow, no overheating problems here:[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF3au1C5OyE]
Old 05-03-2010, 11:21 PM
afinegan

OK, Flew with Turnigy 4000mah, 4s1, 30C batterys, Xps retract kit, Eflite retracts, pushing around 3.4 lbs in the Habu, still flys like a dream (yes thats kindof heavy I think lol). Stock power, Stock Motor

Here is a fun video I just did from last sunday's fpv and ground footage in 20 mph winds. Next video we will definitely use a tripod for the ground video part lol

enjoy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2qblDtUi-A[/youtube]
Old 05-04-2010, 07:42 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Rec. my Habu yesterday. Can't wait to get it together. Anyone looked at the Elec retracts on Hobby Kings site??
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 PM
skirack

I looked at the hobby king retracts but I am huge fan of the Eflite based on their toughness. I had a gear down crash landing in which I landed flat very hard. The wheels sprang back and left skid marks on the underside of the wing being fully compressed back. The nose gear servo was damaged but all three of the retracts worked great. The other advantage of the Eflites is they sense an obstruction and shutdown. There are plenty of video on youtube of installers damaging the linkage of their retracts when installing the system and the wheels get hung up or smashed while the openings are refined. That is my 2 cents.

You can also look at: http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Old 05-12-2010, 04:35 PM
bradj11

Hey, I have been reading through the entire thread. There is only one person I see using the venom power 4s 14.8v 3200mah 30c battery. How does it compare with size, weight, flight time? Does anyone have to change the CG or have to cut the foam for the battery to fit. I see them advertise for $64.99 on many sites.
I was looking at the venom power 14.8v 3600mah 50c and its twice the price weights 1.5oz more than the stock battery or the 32mah venom. Any ideas how this would affect performance.
I know these are alot of questions, but i just got my HABU and would like to get the best battery for the buck.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 PM
toprudder

If you have to buy a battery(s) anyway, is there a reason why you would not buy a battery from HobbyCity? I'm just curious. You can get a comparable battery for $40 or less (not counting shipping). I've had great luck with them.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:34 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

40c 4s 3200 for $32.00 to be exact!!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
skirack

I went with the Venom battery because I wanted to pick up a couple spares in our local hobby shop because I wanted to get more flying time and less charging time. I found the Venom batteries to be a perfect fit in the Habu with no adjustments. I fly pretty conservatively and usually land with more juice than I could if I wanted to push it. The Venom batteries fly great. I recently ordered 3 Turnigy 3300mAh 4S 30C Lipo Pack batteries from Hobby King and I found they fly just as well. The Turnigy batteries are a slightly tighter fit than the stock Eflite or Venoms batteries but no modifcations were required. I would go with the Turnigys at $31.00 if you can wait.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:02 PM
bradj11

I also want to put in E-flite retracts, so I wanted to make sure there was enough power to manage the extra receiver load. I was a bit sceptical about the turnigy batteries, but I am glad you confirmed its worth. I will order 3 now.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 PM
bradj11

Any recommendations on chargers? I was told the Triton eq is a good one to get but for $119.00 i want some suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-12-2010, 09:21 PM
gary41
My Feedback: (5)

I also use Turnigy LiPo's and have had good luck with them. Also, the Turnigy Charger (150 watt size) has served me well. It's usually priced around $75 at hobbycity.
I just checked it at HobbyCity..unfortunately it's on backorder. Check it out. It's worth the wait. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7523
Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 PM
bradj11

Thanks for te recommendations. I will wait and order this Turnigy Charger. The price is definitely right!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:40 AM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: bradj11

I also want to put in E-flite retracts, so I wanted to make sure there was enough power to manage the extra receiver load. I was a bit sceptical about the turnigy batteries, but I am glad you confirmed its worth. I will order 3 now.
The additional load of the electric retracts is nothing in comparison with the load of the fan. The only consideration I would give the electric retracts would be the weight and the additional load on the BEC. I would have to play with the retracts to figure out how much current they consume while cycling, but I suspect it would be less than 1/2 amp, maybe a lot less. During the times you would be cycling the gear (climbout and approach), the flight servos would probably not be doing much, so the load on the BEC would probably be a non-issue, but it is something I would check anyway.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 PM
skirack

I have had really good luck the with the Thunder AC-6, here is youtube link to a demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQIancXVHV8

It is a Chinese knockoff and I have been giving it a workout for over a year without any problems. Since the price right I actually bought 2 of them. Check out the attached photos that show how I installed them on a ammo can. I wanted to be prepared to close and lock the lid in case of a fire. The AC or DC power option allowed me to connect the power cables to one AC cord.

They are going for $55 at http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rp43721.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	533.8 KB
ID:	1435671   Click image for larger version

Name:	mi22026.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	521.3 KB
ID:	1435672   Click image for larger version

Name:	lq37623.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	617.6 KB
ID:	1435673  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:21 PM
skirack

The display on the Turnigy charger looks identical to the Thunder AC-6 charger found at http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html. I suspect they are using the same programming chip that was probably cloned in several units in the knock off world.

A big plus with the Thunder AC-6 is that you can run off AC or DC current.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:21 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: skirack

The display on the Turnigy charger looks identical to the Thunder AC-6 charger found at http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html. I suspect they are using the same programming chip that was probably cloned in several units in the knock off world.

A big plus with the Thunder AC-6 is that you can run off AC or DC current.
skirack, this warning is found on most Turnigy chargers page @ Hobby King:

ATTENTION.
There are several chargers now entering the China market that look similar to the Accucel-6. These chargers are produced with cheaper FETs and unfortunately much less accurate and very unsafe. There has been reports of the copied chargers over-charging packs and not balancing correctly.
Our chargers have CE and RoHS certification, proving there safety. Plus, thousands of customers the world over have used our chargers with excellent success.
Your batteries are expensive. We understand this and thats why we will not carry low-quality charging devices.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:27 AM
bradj11

Has anyone installed the new E-flite 10-15 size electric retracts kit into the HABU as yet (that is the set without a separate servo) ?
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Su...ProdId=EFLG110

Could you please share your pics or installation video?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:02 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Brad, there is a ply kit made for the Habu & Elite retracts with instructions:

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/retract1.php

the kit :

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/pr...=XPS-LCHABUKIT
Old 05-14-2010, 09:29 AM
bradj11

Thanks so much. That is exactly what i need!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM
afinegan

Heres a video I put together flying around with the retracts going up and down lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2qblDtUi-A

Yes I just posted this above ,, doh sorry for double post (yes im proud of it :-P)

Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 PM
bradj11

Do we need to do any souldering to the Turnigy battery connectors to work with the HABU? I have a friend that bought this battery for his Hobby Lobby SU-34 and he said he has to soulder connections and it was a mess to strip back the plastic wrap from the battery to do so. I bought 3 3300mah 4s 30c batteries per recommendations for you guys.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:23 AM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: vasek
..... Our chargers have CE and RoHS certification, proving there safety. .....
I have to chuckle at that. First, RoHS has NOTHING to do with safety, it is all about the reducing the lead content. There have been problems associated with reducing the lead in the solder.

Second, there have been CE marks put on some of the Chinese products which do NOT mean European Compliance, instead it means "Chinese Export" There is a slight difference in the format of the CE mark, and is a clever ruse to fool some people into believing that the product has been tested to the European standards.

The manual should state exactly which product family standard the charger was tested to. This should include both EMC and product safety standards. Testing to these standards don't necessarily mean the product is a quality product, just that it met the required standards, and if it fails it will most likely fail in a safe manner.

You will also have to decide whether the lab that performed the tests can be trusted. That can be a long discussion in itself.

I will have to say that I have no reason to suspect these chargers will not perform well.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM
omra

First flight with the habu at the weekend.Really impressed.Stock setup with landing gear attatched,Wow does this thing move!!!!.Its my first electric jet I have done,normally fly nitro/gas.Thought I would try something new.Build was easy,clear instructions,goes togeather well.Looks great in the air.Fellow members at my club really liked it and its performance.Great Job Parkzone!!One happy customer.
Regards
OMRA
Old 05-17-2010, 03:26 PM
bradj11

Do you have any pics of your installation using these laser cut wood kit? Would love to see!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.