RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   RCME tornado plan (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/1914173-rcme-tornado-plan.html)

djay 06-18-2004 12:21 PM

RCME tornado plan

Anyone in the UK building/built the Tornado that was a free plan in RCME recently?
I Have started it but had great difficulty deciphering the fuse sides on the plan but think I have got around it.
May convert mine to i.c as easier for me to take it along with the rest of my ic models to the flying field.

Tomcatflyer 06-19-2004 01:39 PM

RE: RCME tornado plan

djay..follow this link, tons of info there regarding this model.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2&goto=newpost

Matt

acr007 07-06-2004 05:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres my attempt at an IC version.

There were a lot of issues to consder in the convesion and will work on version two very soon as I went for a more traditional servo layout which cuased a few problems.

But she looks great and flies well.

Just need to fix my engine.

djay 07-06-2004 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
acr, very nice, looks so much like mine, what engine have you fitted? I have used a racing 15 with a rear exhaust, as I have converted 600 size electric models before using standard 15's and have more then enough performance from them, mine comes out at 3lb 5oz fully loaded, what did yours end up as?
conversion I found was very easy, just fitted a bulkhead, made the top hatch longer, and fitted the battery and r/x at the back inside the fuse, servo installation as per drawings. and it balances with 5 grammes of lead in the tail. hope to test fly tomorrow, (wednesday)

acr007 07-07-2004 05:56 AM

Mine came in at 4lb 4oz and has a TT42 and tuned pipe.

Being a bit of a speed freak and also, having a spare engine I made do so to speak.

Would like to know how yours flies.

Andre

acr007 07-07-2004 05:58 AM

By the way I shifted the wing forward and inch to accomodate heavy engine and avoid lead in tail.

djay 08-01-2004 03:45 PM

Hi acr,, test flew my tornado but it struggled with the 15 in it, so fited an sc25 and it flies really well but had to put tons of lead in the tail to compenstae for the heavier engine, Am building mk2 at the moment which should be half the weight as am using much lighter grade wood, and incorporates many mods to it, will have a tuned pipe and will copy you regarding moving wing forward to adjust c of g, have also made rear half of fuse 1" longer moved tank back couple of inches, and made rear internal fuse sides wider at the sternpost where they pull in to allow r/x battery to sit right in the tail via a small hatch underneath. will be finished in a couple of weeks so will let you know.

vicman 08-02-2004 11:45 AM

Did anyone stateside get a set of these plans they would like to share or trade? My sub expired and I missed this issue and would like to get a set of plans or the whole mag.

djay 08-02-2004 03:06 PM

Try bvrkits.com, the guty who designed and built the Tornado sells the kits which is the best way to go. aslo complete build instruction here.
www.modelflying.co.uk is the magazine site, you will need May and Junes issues.
www.rcgroups.com has a complete thread on the Nigel Hawes 2004 tornado, do a search, 30 pages of info and pics.
Hope this helps

acr007 08-12-2004 05:35 AM

Hi Djay

I upgraded my engine on the Tornado to a TT 46 pro and boy did it go fast. Eats up the sky and looks great. Unfortunately lost sight of her be hind one of the many trees at our field for a moment and put her in the grond a mile away. Busted wing and fuse but can fix and will bring ou a mark two. Need to work on venting exhuast fumes down the engine pods ina cleaner manner. You will see the mess the exhaust creates when I next post my pictures of the fixable wreck. I think i will run a thin fiber glass(my own design pipe down the engine air intake to the rear that is held in place by a few screws which can be removed and cleaned. Its great to have the smoke out of the tail pipes very realistic espceially running on 20% castor fuel. No need for a smoke system.

I love this plane so will post the new version in the next few months once I have completed a few other projects.

Andre

djay 09-01-2004 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi ACR, here is my mk2, (the darker one) unfortunatly even with the mods it still needs loads of lead in the back, but is about 1lb lighter then the mk 1. Will test fly it first once finished then probably cut 1-2" of he nose to make the short nose version of the Tornado, this will help with the balance and remove most of the lead from the tail, thus making it lighter and faster. Then I can fit the tuned pipe.

aidan_jos_mills 01-07-2005 12:31 AM

Hi

will a gruapner speed 600 with 30 ampesc and 3 cell lipo have enough power to fly te Tornado nicely. im not much of a speed freak.

Thanks

acr007 03-23-2005 01:23 PM

Hi DJay

Its been a while am working on a EDF Torndao of my own design, just need to finish turtle deck, nose cone and ducting. Then need tro cover and fit all electrics.

I will post a few picks soon.

Also working on a Mig 21 of my own design.....just doing design and will start cutting bits soon once Tornado is out of the way.

Also have a delta of my own design with a IC T 36 Pro... should be fast.....

Acr 007

bobandfrances 03-26-2005 01:36 AM

Hi,
Does anyone sell a ARF Tornado?
Thanks,
Bob

acr007 04-01-2005 04:27 AM

Bob

Yes in the Uk have a look at this web site http://www.bvrkits.com.

acr007

Flying Scotsman 70 04-03-2005 03:07 PM

Electric forum *cough..cough*

acr007 04-18-2005 05:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Djay

Here is my EDF version

Flew it this weekend in windy conditions hand launched fine....