RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   Multiplex Twister EDF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/5999694-multiplex-twister-edf.html)

R/C FLYR 06-17-2007 07:14 PM

Multiplex Twister EDF

Hello, any one out there know when this will be available in the u.s. It looks awesome!! R/C FLYR:D

MarkJayne 07-07-2007 03:53 PM

RE: Multiplex Twister EDF

Here's a HD video of the Twister www.rcflights.co.uk/Videos1/Twister3.wmv

Mark

jrt20001 07-11-2007 05:23 PM

Hello
Tower hobbies has it schedule for late July.
Should be a good one!

Rob Howarth 07-25-2007 10:21 AM

Guys,

I bought one of these Twisters and was excited to get it in the air yesterday - .............. what a let down. The aircraft is nothing as I would have expected. My set up is a 3s Thunder Tiger 2100 lipo, Hacker X40 ESC, 146i Futaba RX and the servos as recommended.

Performance was VERY poor, just about managing a reasonable vertical line from a dive. Hand launch performance also not too good. Straight line speed well below what I would have expected. General presence and 'groove' was just not there. I had expected much better things.

C of G is spot on - I did try moving it forward to fly more solid, then rearward to see the effect - not much. Lipos are in good condition as well.

Anybody else have any experiences with this a/c that they are willing to share?

RH

patzane 07-29-2007 03:17 PM

from the vid it look like it was not good

tIANci 07-29-2007 11:09 PM

Rob - how many Cs are your batts. For my 70mm fan I will be running 2,500 20C packs as a minimum. The Twister with the Himax motor will be pushing 40+As. Your batts will be working hard. You running the Himax motor that it comes with? We assume that the video from MPX is the stock set up.

Rob Howarth 07-31-2007 05:50 AM

tIANci,

My fan and motor is standard, my batteries, Thunder Power 3s 2100mah - 16C. May it be that the batteries need to have a higher discharge rate?

Rob

a65l 08-01-2007 06:16 AM

Rob,
With a 16C 2100 battery you'll only be able to draw about 30 amps. Not nearly enough for your setup. If space is an issue you could try one of the new TP Extreme batteries, they're supposed to be good to 50 amps. The other option is to use a larger battery, but I'd try and stick with a minimum 20C discharge rate.

Andy

tIANci 08-01-2007 09:19 AM

Rob - the batts are only 16C and when its loaded the battery is holding its voltage at a lower level. It would be great if you can run on the new 25C batts of about 2,170 mAh. Today branded 20C and 25C batts cost about the same. For EDF performance its not worth going with the cheaper packs that are made in China. The Himax motor that it comes with is a 300W motor I believe.

martinh 08-01-2007 10:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob Howarth

Guys,

I bought one of these Twisters and was excited to get it in the air yesterday - .............. what a let down. The aircraft is nothing as I would have expected. My set up is a 3s Thunder Tiger 2100 lipo, Hacker X40 ESC, 146i Futaba RX and the servos as recommended.

Performance was VERY poor, just about managing a reasonable vertical line from a dive. Hand launch performance also not too good. Straight line speed well below what I would have expected. General presence and 'groove' was just not there. I had expected much better things.

C of G is spot on - I did try moving it forward to fly more solid, then rearward to see the effect - not much. Lipos are in good condition as well.

Anybody else have any experiences with this a/c that they are willing to share?

RH

2500 3S 20 C is the minimum recommended

Mine's The same 2500 3S EVO 20C Tornado 40 Amp ESC

Seems very slow compared to standard Kyosho 45 EDF landed after 4 mins in no wind and needed a helper to hand launch ( could only hand launch it myself off a slight slope of about 10 feet as it's hard to hold in one hand )

Maybe there to much voltage drop with the long leads to the ESC and can't see 3200 20C 3s being much better

Q&EF review looks exaggerated and misses points like the English instruction control throws are wrong use the French or German Values

Overall feels slow and pokeless but easy to see and control

I expected it to fly at 50% throttle say 20A continous but neaded to be all out so it started to slow after two mins

The review hints at the use of a 3700 3S 20C pack but maybe 3700 20C 4s would be better even risking a little overspeed of the fan ?

The manual fails to reccmmend an ESC size anyway ! but 60A may be nearer the mark ?

BTW I tacked my Fan cover in with thick CA before taping with silver Gaffa tape as I did not want to risk it falling out

Also check your servo lead length before glueing aileron servo extensiions in the fuz

When joining the Fuz halves I just thick CA'd the center part and then worked round the edges with medium CA and Kicker in hand

Looking forward to more comments

Thanks Martin

I watched the video with the sound off (the sound makes look faster) certainly my circuit performance was similar for the first couple of minutes and about the same for the slower flypasts but I certainly would or could not match the fast vertical stufff

Rob Howarth 08-01-2007 12:31 PM

Guys,

Thank you for all of your feedback and thoughts. I've got myself some TP Extreme 2200 3S 25C lipo's to try, hopefully this will make an improvement. Not sure if my Hacker X40 ESC will be up to the job though?!

Rob

MarkJayne 08-01-2007 04:02 PM

The stock setup on a 3s 3700mah 20C pulls 35Amps. I'm on my second Twister and am pretty happy with the performance. It doesn't have unlimited vertical or 100mph+ straight line speed, but does have a great scale look in the air.
I'm more than happy.

Mark
www.rcflights.co.uk

martinh 08-01-2007 07:54 PM

Mark

On reflection the first few flights always seem shorter than when ones used to the model and ahead of the game, but it certainly seemed to sag quickly powerwise on 2500 3s 20C.

On my Kyosho 45 I first tried some 10C 880 Kokams which just did not give enough power/duration, but an EVO 1200 20C was perfect with a 7-8 min comfortable flight time at 60-70% throttle. So initial disappointment or misjudgement of power needs can soon be overcome. (at a price [8D])

The price here looks like a 60A ESC and 3700 4s or 3700s 20C EVO for 6-8 minutes of good flight £90 or £170:eek:

Martin

MarkJayne 08-02-2007 02:05 PM

The thing you have to consider with a 4s 3700 is the extra weight. My 3s 3700 weighs in at 305g, so I'd imagine a 4s would be around another 100g. With that much more weight in the nose, your CG will be very hard to set unless you add even more weight to the tail. You could go for a lower capacity 4s, but your flight times will be pretty poor.

Mark.

Rob Howarth 08-07-2007 05:28 AM

Guys,

Sold mine now - Just wasn't for me. To be frank the only way I can sum it up was - Big lumbering foam jet.[X(]

Oh well worth a try, back to the Kero burners!:D

Rob

Ron Stahl 08-07-2007 10:58 AM

I saw one fly at the Liberty Bell jet rally 07 big let down as well. It needs way more power to be fun to fly the other EDF's ate up the sky. I recieved a BVM Electra complete as a B-day present from my family at the event after they saw the performance.

ukiah-ca 08-11-2007 09:46 PM

Dont wast your money Multiplex should remove them from their line and sell them to megacrap way underpower spent all their time on looks and not if they fly going,back to the twin jet with 2 astro 020 .

s3tbolt 08-13-2007 09:56 PM

Just finished building a Twister, they are now available in USA. Built it per Multiplex spec. with included Himax EDF, I used a Castle Creations 45 amp ESC and FMA 3200mha 20C battery. The power is very good, plenty to recover from a stall or poor launch, I bet it easily speeds up to 100mph. I am getting about 7min. flight with 10% left on the battery. About the only thing I needed to do was turn down the throws on control surfaces and dial in more exponetial.

The thing I have to remind myself of is, it is a Jet, the need for speed!

ukiah-ca 08-13-2007 10:35 PM

I called Multiplex today and spoke to them about my plane they thought I might have a bad motor.They also said they had no complants about it I was the first one.I replaced the edf unit with one I all ready had and put a mega 16-15-2 in it with a 56 amp thunderbird esc I make my own lipo packs I put a 3200 mah with 45 contious and 60 amp burst.What a difference it was fast.and quick to respond was a joy to fly I will send my edf unit to Multiplex and let them look at it .It could be they may have some bad motors

MarkJayne 08-17-2007 11:51 AM

Before you send your motor back to MPX, have you checked the current with a Watt/Amp meter and have you measured the thrust off it. Mine pulls 35Amps and pushes just over 800g of thrust.

geh3 08-17-2007 02:10 PM

With the right battery, it flies fine, I finally used a 3200mah 20c one and got some very nice flights... you definetly need a 20 c battery!

mikec456 08-18-2007 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just purchased the Hobby Lobby Thunder Bird ducted fan. What a gas! I maden it this morning and it flat out hauls ass with lightning quick turns. I'm running a 45 amp speed controller, Thunder Power 2070 extreme lipo, Hitec servos on a DX7 spektrum radio. This is the bird to buy!

ukiah-ca 08-18-2007 04:05 PM

I had the edf that came with it .It had very little thrust I was using a 45 amp speed controller and a lipo that has 45 amp con.60 amp burst i did not put it on my watt meter I knew i had plenty of power the edf unit i have in it now makes it screem i can go vertical and do rolls at the same time i have a mega 16 15 2 and a 3850 25C lipo the edf unit i installed has more pitch in the fan and drawes 50 amps.I have flowen in 25 mph wind with no problem.And have a 5-6 min.flight i am going to try a 4500amp lipo next week .

ekotil 08-18-2007 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I maidened my Twister today with a 3s 2200mah 20c Predator and with a 3s 3100mah 20c Max Amps. It is my first EDF after 50+ prop planes and I am totally satisfied. I used the stock Himax that came with it and it is as fast or faster than my V-Diamond. It rolls faster than my Copperhead which was the fastest roller I had. Both flights were excillerating(I think thats a word) to say the least. Both landings were non-issues and it handled 10-15 MPH winds. I'm glad I did not pay much attention to earlier post's in this thread. This plane is up to the usual high standards in construction and performance of the other Multiplex Elapor models. I highly recommend the Twister.

ekotil 08-21-2007 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Twister with Sparks canopy. Thanks Keith!