RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   Scratch built Star Wars A-Wing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/6188978-scratch-built-star-wars-wing.html)

DJ Big J 08-02-2007 05:14 PM

Scratch built Star Wars A-Wing

1 Attachment(s)
Hey gang! I have been building a scratch built A-Wing fighter from the Star Wars series. I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan in the world, I just liked the ship and I thought that it would fly. I have been posting my progress on a different forum, and I thought I would connect the two together so I could get some more input. Here's a few pics and a link to the other post. Thanks and your help is great appriciated.

[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717172[/link]

a65l 08-03-2007 05:42 AM

RE: Scratch built Star Wars A-Wing

Looks good, definetly different. Don't know about it flying, got lots of lifting body area there, who knows. Any thoughts as to power system yet?

Andy

DJ Big J 08-03-2007 11:20 AM

It should fly. I build and glide tested a smaller paper version and it went well. I'll be using two EDF-55-300 ducted fans to push this along and with a final weight below 20oz. they should push it along just fine.

marktur 08-03-2007 01:37 PM

COOL! :)

Why wouldn't it fly?

I've seen a lawn mower and a dog house and a witch on a broom fly... ;)

Nobody said it was gonna handle well. ;)

calvino 08-03-2007 07:33 PM

that thing is prety cool. Next time they have the rose parade and the whole group of star wars freaks comes out, you can fly over them. Hope it works.

vicman 08-03-2007 08:05 PM

It looks great. Nice job!

It would make a cool looking rocket too.

DJ Big J 08-04-2007 01:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. See now I know what to do to this thing if it doesn't work lmao. I posted some more pics on my other build thread, here's one of the photos.

AirforceRcks 08-04-2007 06:51 PM

thats really cool i like it

i want someone to make a x-wing
that would be pretty tough tho.

DJ Big J 08-08-2007 04:29 AM

X-Wings have been done and i wanted to try something WAY different. Besides if I was to try another one it would be a B-Wing:D

DJ Big J 08-09-2007 02:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an updated photo of my progress. I should be working on the ailerons and elevators tomorrow.

a65l 08-09-2007 10:48 AM

Those slots in the side, are they going to be the air intakes? Are you going with elevons or seperate alieron/elevator controls? Oh, never mind, three servos, I guess that answers my question... unless you're figuring on rudders as well.....

Andy

DJ Big J 08-09-2007 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes the slots on the sides are intakes for the engines. This model will have separate ailerons, elevators, and a rudder system.

DJ Big J 08-10-2007 03:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As a matter of fact here's how the ailerons are gonna turn out.

vicman 08-10-2007 09:03 AM

Tons of control surface...Wow!
It looks great! I hope it works.

Dave ESPI 08-10-2007 12:40 PM

are you scratch building all this with no plans or is it based on an estes rocket A-wing fighter or something ?

It looks awesome. You have some nice tallent there for scratch building foamies.

If it flies, I'd like one too :) I'll pay ya to build it. I too love he A wing, and the B-wing would be badd***** !

Make 2 when you decide to do the B wing ;)

DocYates 08-10-2007 12:50 PM

DJ,
That is really cool, and I hope it flies. It looks great. You have a great imagination and a talent for building as well. Good luck with it.
Tommy

DJ Big J 08-10-2007 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm scratch building this project from a 3-view and other pictures. I feel that it should take to the sky but I'm not 100% sure. I'm building it with the right intentions I just hope it's not all in vain. I pretty much just started with a thought that was keeping me up at night, found a 3-view of the A-Wing, and took it to Office Max and had it enlarged to scale.

As for a B-Wing... I already have the plans[8D]

DJ Big J 08-12-2007 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got some more work done today. Finished the cockpit and did some body filling.

DJ Big J 08-14-2007 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Decided to build the guns and get them on today.

DJ Big J 08-17-2007 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a little paint work done. Just waiting on some nice weather.

HK182 09-05-2007 09:52 AM

did this thing fly ok??? it looks really cool, nice job on the build.