RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   Byron A-4 Skyhawk EDF conversion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/8032363-byron-4-skyhawk-edf-conversion.html)

skyhawknut 10-09-2008 12:17 AM

Byron A-4 Skyhawk EDF conversion

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Byron A-4 conversion to EDF.

It started life as the glow version - but after some time in the rafters I continued building it as an EDF. Stock Byron fan converted to EDF with a Hacker motor, CC HV85 esc and 2 5S 5000mAh Flightpower batteries. Weight will be about 12 lbs. Paint is Testors model master military colors in the correct FS colors for the IAF.

skyhawknut 10-09-2008 12:18 AM

RE: Byron A-4 Skyhawk EDF conversion

1 Attachment(s)
A few more pics.......Radio is a JR XP 9303 2.4

skyhawknut 10-09-2008 12:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last ones for a while. I'm off to warm sunny places!:D

I'm going to finish the wings then add some small scale details and highlight the panel lines after my vacation. The power system puts out equal power to an OS 91 setup - about 12 lbs thrust.

f16man 10-13-2008 06:30 AM

Looks good, one thing I realy sugest is not using the nirod control linkages , my a4 and f16 both had stab and aileron flutter .Some of the flutter was cured by some lead in the leading edge of the stab close to the root but the final fix was to move the servos close to the aileron and stab control links and use 4/40 hardware to connect. I kept the linkages as short as posible and ended up with a whole new animal as far as solid control of the plane, and at 135 mph 4ft off the deck you definitly don't want flutter or sloppy control surfaces, just my thoughts.

skyhawknut 10-24-2008 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks f16 man............way ahead of you though.;)

I had made a mount for the elevator servo in the dorsal fin and it's all bolted together with 4-40 hardware and aluminum control horns.

f16man 10-25-2008 08:21 AM

Nice job on that control, I also had to add an oz of lead to the leading edge of the stabs cause at wot in a dive I would get just a hint of flutter, mine would fly at about 155 mph with a os 77 on steroids he he he , your electro will be faster yet Ill bet.

skyhawknut 11-10-2008 04:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More work and paint done.

I made nav and strobe lenses for the wings and I've painted then tried my hand at panel lines and simple weathering. Needs a little more work and some markings yet.

f16man 11-10-2008 08:29 AM

Looking good, how long before maiden flight? this winter I will complete my yellow A4 in blue angels trim / rossi 81, dyno fan unit, My old one was pretty fast with an os77 clocked at 155 mph.

skyhawknut 11-11-2008 02:59 AM

Don't know when the maiden will be, I wanted to have it flying by now but also wanted it fully finished. It will probably fly this winter between the bad weather.

I still need to pin the rudder, finish the cockpit, do all the panel lines and markings, clearcoat it, assemble the ailerons, and a few other odds and ends. I'm really excited about it now and already pondering my next project as I have a few to choose from!

skyhawknut 11-23-2008 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been pluggin away at this and am almost finished the panel lines. A little more detailing is required yet.

I'm thinking of adding a working rotating beacon to the top of the avionics hump and adding a second rx battery for good measure.

f16man 11-29-2008 08:09 AM

You know you can't se all that bling bling and jewlry at 150mph !!!!!!!! he he he. Just sayin keep her light as possible as the A4 glide path is like a rock.

Greg Covey 12-13-2008 03:46 PM

Hi guys,

Love the paint scheme on your A-4 Skyhawk!

It looks like I might be doing a similar GDF to EDF conversion on an old Byron A-4 so I was happy to find this thread. I plan to replace the stock GDF power plant with an E-Turbax, Neu motor, CC HV110 ESC, and FlightPower packs. I haven't decided yet on a 10s or 12s setup.

My A-4 has SpringAir retracts with the mock plastic struts. I think I saw a thread on the Jets forum where a guy replaced the SpringAir wire mains with some Robart struts so I may do that upgrade too.

More later as I get things going...

Regards.

Greg Covey 12-25-2008 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Byron A-4 Skyhawk arrived and is ready for the first stages of its conversion from GDF to EDF. The plane is owned by Lynn Bowerman who has done test flying for me on many projects. We plan to work together on the conversion and fly it this summer.

The plane is in good shape but will require some minor repair and upgrades. All the servos will be replaced with JR DS-821 Digital Sport Servos. The 72MHz receiver will be replaced with a Spektrum AR7000 2.4GHz dual receiver. The nose gear will get a Robart strut upgrade and the exhaust tube will be replaced.

The power system with be an [link=http://www.jethangar.com/]E-Turbax[/link] ducted fan unit from Jet Hangar Hobbies. It will be powered by a Neu [link=http://www.castlecreations.com/products/neumotors/nm1500.html]1527/1.5Y[/link] motor, [link=http://www.castlecreations.com/]Castle Creations[/link] HV110 ESC, and two 6s Flightpower [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWPB8&P=7]EVO25 5AH[/link] LiPo packs.

Next up, OS .91 engine removal.

skyhawknut 12-25-2008 02:20 PM

Very nice Greg!

I look forward to hearing how this setup goes. I've heard good things about the E-Turbax. Iron Bay is going to start making kits again in the summer....and the Byron T-33 is actually in production by them again. Street price $940.00

Merry Christmas to all!

Greg Covey 12-26-2008 11:08 AM

Thanks, I hope you had a Merry Christmas too and will have a great New Year in 2009!

I have heard mention of this Iron Bay Model Company several times but thought they had gone out of business because their Web site is now blank. Perhaps you can fill us in on their status.

[link=http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/]Iron Bay Model Company[/link]

Regards.

Terry Holston 12-26-2008 02:53 PM

Hey Greg, Just as an asside, why don't you use an electric converson of the Byron fan unit from ( Bob Ruff) at the Electric Jet Factory? Much easier conversion as non of the formers in the Skyhawk would need to be changed and the Thrust tube could be used also.

skyhawknut 12-26-2008 03:14 PM

Greg,
A few of us have been able to order small parts from Iron bay with nio problems and I have had several emails from them. They are a small business - and are VERY busy with DND contracts, but they said they would re-start production of the Byron line in the summer of 09. Then Madmax got this from them last week:

Yes, the T-33 is in production, $949.95 plus shipping. It has more wing area than the Sabre, but it is a bigger and heavier aircraft as well. The typical Sabre runs around 10-12 pounds, while the typical DF T-33 is around 18-19 pounds. It is 72” long and has 82” wingspan. Figure around 850 square inches of wing area. We have most of the Byron warbirds in production as well as a few of the sport planes, but only one jet, the T-33 right now.

Our Defense Division has grown extremely quickly over the past two years, and we over quadrupled our company in 2008 and will double it again in 2009 with a new Navy contract and new Army contract that we landed in November and September. We are expanding into diesel engine production and autonomous robotic guidance systems for the UAVs. Once we get more people hired and trained over the next 3-4 months and everybody gets into a stable groove we plan on getting back to the jet kits. I would guess it will be summer before anything is released along those lines. By the way, if you have any of the kits, replacement parts are usually available. Everything is available for the GM kits and most parts for the Byron stuff

Regards,

John

Happy days are here again for Byron owners. BTW - their website wroks for me.

Greg Covey 12-26-2008 04:18 PM

Terry,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am familiar with the EJF Byron conversion but did not choose that method because I already had the E-turbax unit. I was looking for a host plane for the E-Turbax and stumbled across a free partnership project with one of my test pilots so it was a convenient and very low cost find. :)

The Byron conversion using the Scorpion 4035-630 motor on a 12 LiPo produces about 3600 watts but the E-turbax with the Neu 1527/1.5Y motor on a 12s LiPo produces about 4500 watts. The Neu inrunner motor, at about twice the cost, is much more efficient than the Scorpion outrunner motor.

Skyhawk,

After I read your post, I decided to try the link using MSIE 7 instead of Firefox and it worked fine. They may already be aware of it but I'll let them know their site has issues with the Firefox 3.0.5 browser.

It's good to know that I may be able to buy some parts for the A-4 like a new canopy.

Thanks!

f16man 12-28-2008 09:38 AM

Hey Greg when you jerk out the engine and fan unit you can always send it to me as I still fly the the nitro burners he he he.

sean sweeney 12-29-2008 05:47 PM

Greg,

Are you going to add ducting and eliminate the cheater hole? The Turbax fan is smaller than the 6" Byron so the intake may have enough area(?)

Sean

Greg Covey 12-30-2008 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
f16man,

If that slimy engine was mine, I would send it to you for the cost of shipping. :)

I removed the O.S. .91 engine. It weighed 24oz (1-1/2lbs) with the fan attached. I can't seem to angle the tuned pipe enough to remove it so the fan unit may have to come out first.

Sean,

I was looking at the giant holes and thinking the same thing. I haven't measured anything yet but my instinct tells me that the cheater opening can at least be reduced. The GDF design of these old Byron models makes them a great host for an EDF conversion.

Thanks for the suggestion.

lynnb 01-06-2009 12:17 PM

F16man

I am interested in selling the OS .91 for a reasonable price. The tuned pipe will be included.

skyhawknut 01-11-2009 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been busy with work, hoildays and a family illness, but I'm finally nearing the end. The paint and panel lines are done, as are the decals and clearcoat. The pilot is on backorder and the aileron pushrods need one more support each. The rudder has been pinned. I will re-install all the equipment this week and try to finish the cockpit.

This has been my first try at panel lines and I think it turned out alright.

Eaglepilot2 01-13-2009 04:04 PM

Skyhawknut, Where did you get the Israeli decals? I am doing an israeli F-16 and I am looking for the Israeli star. I have found everything but the Israeli's.

Mike

skyhawknut 01-14-2009 04:32 AM

They were included in the Byron kit.

However any of the decal makers out there have them. You could even go to a sign shop and have them cut them in vinal for you.