RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   A7 CorsiarII (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/834248-a7-corsiarii.html)

blvdbuzzard 06-05-2003 02:21 AM

A7 CorsiarII

I would love to do one of these with a nice brushless power and all of the other nice goodies. I am not able to land one on my runway, it is a nice and hard decomposed granite. It would tear up the under side in just one landing. It really tore up my Wally World plane.

Is there a jet about that size that has gear??? Do I have to go up in size to the Wattage Mig or Sabre to get one with gear?????

Thanks.

Dru.

LJE4357 06-05-2003 12:54 PM

A7 CorsiarII

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of a new prototype A-10. 50" wingspan, Hacker brushless motors, Wemotek MIDI fans, retracts. Should be available 1st quarter next yr. for around $250.

Larry Epifanio
SouthEast Model Products
Orlando, Fl.

JDHammer 06-05-2003 02:43 PM

A7 CorsiarII

Thanks Larry, you just made my day with that picture and information! I've been searching the internet all morning looking for a decent sized A-10 with brushless motors-no luck until now.
This is very exciting news-please put me #1 on your buyers list.

flyboss 06-13-2003 01:36 AM

A7 CorsiarII

Hello,
Ceveral kits availeble now, K&N has a Albatros

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=124925

And Aeronaut has a F-9 Panther

http://www.aeronaut.de/en/allg/index.html

follow the above links and enjoy :D

St. Martin 07-04-2003 01:35 AM

Re: A7 CorsiarII

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by blvdbuzzard
I would love to do one of these with a nice brushless power and all of the other nice goodies. I am not able to land one on my runway, it is a nice and hard decomposed granite. It would tear up the under side in just one landing. It really tore up my Wally World plane.

Is there a jet about that size that has gear??? Do I have to go up in size to the Wattage Mig or Sabre to get one with gear?????

Thanks.

Dru.

Dru,
Unfortunately I have not found anything available commercially for the LTV Corsair II. Another unfortunate, is that small edf do not work very well with gear.
The smaller the fan unit, the faster it has to spin in order to create a workable thrust. This requiring a clean design for best performance. This is true in all model applications, including prop planes.
I might suggest, wire skids, that would not interfere with flight performance. But, would give protection on landings.

The use of larger fans that turn at lower RPM/higher thrust, would be more receptive to landing gear use.
Should you still seek a A-7, I thought of modifying the Berkeley
plans of the F-8 Crusader. Lot of balsa work here.
Available at Jet hangar hobbies.
Mine has Mini-fan, mega 16/15/2. glass ducting.

blvdbuzzard 07-04-2003 01:00 PM

A7 CorsiarII

Thanks guys for the help. I am just going to get the little jet to look at for now. I have been trying to decide if I want to go a haed and plant a nice grass strip. The problem I have is I am on a well and can not power to many sprinklers at one time. That is why I was looking for something with gear. I may look into the wire skid like the old Ace Mach None had on the wing tips.

Thanks.

Dru.

U-812 07-06-2003 10:15 PM

A7 CorsiarII

1 Attachment(s)
The K&A L-39 works very well with gear. The ROG is perfect as are the landings.

Hacker B40-11s

10 1700's

Mini fan

AUW with gear 46 oz.

Steve

U-812 07-06-2003 10:19 PM

A7 CorsiarII

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a video of my A-7 in flight. The plane does well on belly landings with only a piece of clear tape on the bottom.

I was flying at a ruff field in the video and caught some weeds on landing, but no damage. The field I normally fly at has a runway and lots of lawn. 30 + flights and not a ding yet. It hand launches very easy and lands the same.

Astro 010

Wemotec micro fan

10 500 ar's

Steve

http://sneill.com/new_flight_video/ta-7_corsair_fs.wmv

LJE4357 07-06-2003 11:50 PM

A-10's

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the A-10's ready to fly, Hope to get them airborn this weeks if the wind permits

St. Martin 07-07-2003 06:58 PM

A7 CorsiarII

I guess I should have said that I knew of no commercially available A-7 in the size to accept l.g. or the wattage size fans. :)

I know the L-39 would fly much better w/out gear. There are always partial exceptions to what works best for each modeler.
The desire to take off, taxi, T & go's, all come at a price. The smaller the plane, the higher the price of performance, duration and manuverability.
I guess it's all in what the individual considers "priority's".

Steve

U-812 07-07-2003 08:19 PM

A7 CorsiarII

Steve,

The L-39 flies better without gear yes. But I find the hassel of the bungee and the occasional deaths on launch get old.

With gear it's still in the 80 mph range, passing most of the IC stuff with no problem. I only weigh 46 oz. with the gear, 10 1700's and a Hacker B40-11s.

Just got back from the field after some more very pleasent flights, and taxi back.

The 90 mm Hawker Hunter I'm doing now has EJF retracts and flaps, better still.

Steve

St. Martin 07-07-2003 08:23 PM

A7 CorsiarII

Originally posted by u812
Steve,

The L-39 flies better without gear yes. But I find the hassel of the bungee and the occasional deaths on launch get old.

With gear it's still in the 80 mph range, passing most of the IC stuff with no problem. I only weigh 46 oz. with the gear, 10 1700's and a Hacker B40-11s.

Just got back from the field after some more very pleasent flights, and taxi back.

The 90 mm Hawker Hunter I'm doing now has EJF retracts and flaps, better still.

Steve

Jeeez Steve,
Don't forget the jetisonable wing tanks! :cool:

Steve

U-812 07-07-2003 08:29 PM

A7 CorsiarII

Only if the gear fail. Oh...you mean the Hunter...hmm.

Steve

St. Martin 07-07-2003 08:36 PM

A7 CorsiarII

Only if the gear fail. Oh...you mean the Hunter...hmm.

Steve

I have been following your progress on the Hunter. Let me know when you make a mini-fan version. I don't go into glass fuse. jets very often. I would make a exception on this. Beautiful jet. :)

Steve

drksyd 07-07-2003 09:01 PM

A7 CorsiarII

Hot Bodies has an IC Corsair with fixed gears. I'm quite sure you could convert it to EDF but I'm not sure what fan size. Generally though, gear is not a good choice if the ground is not smooth. You have a good chance of ripping it out, especially on the smaller planes.
If worse comes to worse, you could always roll out some carpet or a board to land on.

U-812 07-07-2003 11:07 PM

A7 CorsiarII

Steve,

I don't think I'll be doing that anytime too soon but thanks just the same.

I am secretly doing my F-104 as a glass job for the wemotec micro fan. The prototype flew so well it be a waste not to. You did see that one didn't you?

Steve

blvdbuzzard 07-08-2003 02:01 PM

A7 CorsiarII

drksyd the ground is very smooth, but has a layer on top like 1 grit sand paper. It is a little like old asphalt, you know the old rough stuff with the loose stuff on top. I can take off my other small e planes with out to much trouble. The take offs can be hand launch, but I need to get them down in one piece.

The clear tape would get chewed up in one landing. I have carpet, but landing a little plane going fast and hitting a spot 12 feet by 12 feet every time is not easy.

Ithink I will pick up the kit and just keep it on the shelf until I find some place to fly it or I plant a 1/2 acre of lawn :)

The other planes look really good too.

Dru.

St. Martin 07-08-2003 03:55 PM

A7 CorsiarII

Steve,

I don't think I'll be doing that anytime too soon but thanks just the same.

I am secretly doing my F-104 as a glass job for the wemotec micro fan. The prototype flew so well it be a waste not to. You did see that one didn't you?

Steve

Steve,
Oh yes! The 104 has always been a fav. And yours was great. It seems all of my jets are centered around the mini-fan. I do have a mongrel fan made up of a Hi-Line shroud, cut KY rotor, mega/3, on 10-1100He.
I'm doing a Guillow's F-16, enlarged to accept it. The O.D. of the fan is 65mm/I.D. 63mm. Would this be to large for your 104?

Dru,
I guess I should have asked what you were looking for in a jet performance wise. My view point is kind of partial, in the fact I don't like seeing my small planes fly, looking like their in a constant landing mode. Straffing runs aren't the same.
If you can take off and land with your other planes, on that surface, then go for it. It will still be fun. ;)

Contact A.M.A. There was a synthetic runway available not to long ago. You rolled it up, for storage. You could purchase it in varied lengths. May be pricey... :(

Steve

U-812 07-08-2003 10:36 PM

A7 CorsiarII

1 Attachment(s)
Steve,

It would be too big for it. 55 mm would be the limit. So that means either wemotec micro or Vasa55.

I started a thread on E Zone, check it out if your interested. Prototype flight video is posted.

Steve