RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/)
-   -   A10 Warthog IMAA legal size from Wowplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-rc-jets-198/9808966-a10-warthog-imaa-legal-size-wowplanes.html)

rcmiket 07-01-2010 05:26 PM

RE: A10 Warthog IMAA legal size from Wowplanes

1 Attachment(s)
Looking great. More and more like a hog with every post.
Mike

wowplanes 07-02-2010 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike, yes I can't contain my excitement as it takes shape.

Installation of the blind nut from inside the fuselage can be tricky. The attached picture provides a tip on how it was done.

wowplanes 07-02-2010 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I started work on the tail, specifically the H. Stab

The H & V stab assembly is designed to be removable for transportation. If you don't want that, it may be glued permanently as is commonly done. The H. stab has a span just under 26" and has two V. Stabs at the tips. The airfoil is symetrical and quite thin, requiring some stiffening. Spars will help flex but not twist, so the only choice is to sheet the tail members with 1/32" balsa to keep it light. The sheeting method I prefer is very simple and effective. Unlike the fuselage we don't have to deal with compound curves so that makes life even simpler. If you prefer other methods of sheeting, by all means.

wowplanes 07-02-2010 09:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rest of the pictures.

wowplanes 07-03-2010 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since I am building this one for a removable tail, the tail assembly has to be self contained with servos as part of the assembly. The elevator servo, pushrod & control horn is mounted on the stab and concealed by the rear of the fuselage when the stab is mounted in place.

The H. Stab is eseentially done for now. Next we can work on the two V. Stabs.

Fahim

wowplanes 07-04-2010 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Since this is a first build prototype, I expect to find problems, and I did find one so far.

I have overlooked to compensate for the thickness of the balsa added at the wing and tail saddle. That creates a mis-match at both ends of the foam fuselage aft section. The solution is pretty simple and will be fixed in the production version. As for my prototype, I will be working on a temporary fix - add a slice of foam to the tail section and eliminate the mis-match. The plastic end cone will take a mold re-cyle, so we will have to wait on that.

The pictures show the problem and the suggested fix. If you see anything I have missed, please point it out, I will apreciate it.

Fahim

Wayne22 07-04-2010 09:18 AM

Will your fillet interfere with the elevator travel??

wowplanes 07-04-2010 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

Will your fillet interfere with the elevator travel??
Excellent point. I will have to keep that in mind as I do the temp fix, which is in progress as we speak.
Fahim

wowplanes 07-04-2010 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I have the problem fixed with a temp fix. No one will know except you, me, the lampost, and the rest of the world.
Of course this will be corrected in the production kit and you will not have to do this operation.

Fahim

wowplanes 07-04-2010 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While waiting for the foam putty to dry during the previous operation, I did make some small progress on the V. stabs

Fahim

wowplanes 07-05-2010 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I continued with prepping the two V. Stabs.
Fahim

wowplanes 07-05-2010 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more progress.

Fahim

wowplanes 07-05-2010 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I assembled the H & V stab and took care of a couple of details. I think we are done with the tail for now.

Fahim

wowplanes 07-07-2010 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I changed my mind once again.

I don't like leaving bare balsa covered parts lying around for long in our humid climate here. So I am going all the way with the tail and get it Liquid Sheeted, I know some of you have been patiently waiting to see LS applied, and this will give us all a nice break from the monotony of building one part after another.

First I fill all the voids in the balsa with a filler & build small fillets at the joints. We can use any suitable filler, but I like using a 1:1 mix of Durham's Water Putty and Lightweight Spackle. It's water based, goes on well, and sands even better. Then I apply a coat of ordinary house latex primer to seal the wood and filler and isolate them from the LS, that will go on next. Allow primer to dry overnight in a dry area. No misture must be present in the surface when LS is applied, this is important. A dowel rod threaded through the cable hole make a nice jig.

So here we go.
Fahim

wowplanes 07-07-2010 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I started the LSll after lunch and here is the result. The parts are drying dis-assembled right now. After cure I can re-assemble and post more pictures.
Fahim

wowplanes 07-07-2010 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The tail is long cured and I re-assembled it with tape for picture taking. It will sit for a few of days before I will work on it further. LS will continue to harden for 3 or 4 days, then I will sand & prime it.

Fahim

wowplanes 07-09-2010 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The retracts arrived. The mains were the wrong kind nad have to be exchanged. But the nose was OK so I was able to resume getting the fuselage done.

The A10 has a complicated door system. Two panels behind the struct that come down with it, and a flap door over the wheel. This is way too complicated for my expertise level, so I went for a simpler approah. When I see the more gifted do the doors, I shall be watching and learning.

Here is the CAD drawing for the retract. I can't seen to get the lines darker for some reason. Any help will be appreciated. I am using AutoCad

Fahim

wowplanes 07-10-2010 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I worked on the gatling gun and the nose cone this afternoon. Here are some pictures of the real gun and the one that I was able to do.

Following is some background on this famous gun.

The General Electric GAU-8/A Avenger is a 30 mm, hydraulically-driven seven-barrel Gatling-type rotary cannon that is mounted on the A-10 Thunderbolt II. It is among the largest, heaviest and most powerful aircraft cannons in the United States military. Designed specifically for the anti-tank role, the Avenger delivers very powerful rounds at a high rate of fire.

The gun is placed slightly off center in the nose of the plane with the front landing gear positioned to the right of the center line.

A very important innovation in the design of the GAU-8/A shells is the use of aluminum alloy cases in place of the traditional steel or brass. This alone adds 30% to ammunition capacity for a given weight. The shells also have plastic driving bands to improve barrel life. They are imposing to examine and handle, measuring 11.4 inches (290 mm) in length and weighing 1.53 pounds (0.69 kg) or more.

The Avenger's rate of fire was originally selectable, 2,100 rounds per minute (rpm) in the low setting, or 4,200 rpm in the high setting. Later this was changed to a fixed rate of 3,900 rpm. In practice, the cannon is limited to one and two-second bursts to avoid overheating and conserve ammunition; barrel life is also a factor, since the USAF has specified a minimum life of at least 20,000 rounds for each set of barrels. There is no technical limitation on the duration the gun may be continuously fired, and a pilot could potentially expend the entire ammunition load in a single burst with no damage or ill effects to the weapons system itself. However, this constant rate of fire would shorten the barrel life considerably and require added barrel inspections and result in shorter intervals between replacement.

The A-10 engines were initially susceptible to flameout when subjected to gases generated in the firing of the gun. When the GAU-8 is being fired, the smoke from the gun can make the engines stop, and this did occur during initial flight testing. Gun exhaust is essentially oxygen-free, and is certainly capable of causing flame-outs of gas turbines. The A-10 engines have a self sustaining combustion section. When the gun is fired the igniters come on to ensure no flame out occurs.

The recoil force of the GAU-8/A[14] is 10,000 pounds-force (45 kN), which is slightly more than the output of one of the A-10's two TF34 engines (9,065 lbf / 40.3 kN each). While this recoil force is significant, in practice cannon fire only slows the aircraft a few miles per hour.

Fahim

wowplanes 07-10-2010 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mo pics

wowplanes 07-11-2010 12:14 PM

Cockpit & Canopy

The cockpit and parts of the flight-control system are protected by 1,200 lb (540 kg) titanium armor, referred to as a "bathtub". The armor has been tested to withstand strikes from 23 mm cannon fire and some strikes from 57 mm rounds. It is made up of titanium plates with thicknesses from 0.5 to 1.5 inches (13 to 38 mm) determined by a study of likely trajectories and deflection angles. This protection comes at a cost, though; the armor itself weighs almost 6% of the entire aircraft's empty weight. To protect the pilot from the fragmentation likely to be created from impact of a shell, any interior surface of the tub that is directly exposed to the pilot is covered by a multi-layer nylon spall shield. The front windscreen and canopy are resistant to small arms fire.The cockpit has a large bulletproof bubble canopy, which gives good all-round vision.

The cockpit is equipped with a head-up display, which is used for targeting and weapon aiming, a Have-Quick secure radio communications system, inertial navigation and a tactical air navigation (TACAN) system.The pilot is equipped with night-vision goggles and also the infrared imaging display of the Maverick AGM-65.

Lockheed Martin has begun delivery of 21 USAF A-10 aircraft with the embedded global positioning system / inertial navigation system (EGI), which pinpoints the exact location of the aircraft. The aircraft are also to be fitted with BAE Systems terrain profile matching systems (TERPROM).

Proof of the durability of the A-10 was shown when then-Captain Kim Campbell, USAF, flying a ground support mission over Baghdad during the 2003 invasion of Iraq on 7 April, suffered extensive flak damage to her A-10. Enemy fire damaged one of the A-10's engines and crippled its hydraulic system, forcing the back-up mechanical system to operate the aircraft's stabilizer and flight controls. Despite this, Campbell managed to fly it for an hour and landed it safely at the air base in manual reversion mode.

That's the real McCoy. As for the kit, we have several options.

1. A cockpit interior option will be available as shown in the picture below. Requires assembly and painting. The pilot is built in so we don't need a separate pilot figure in this case. The pilot's head is separate and a small servo can be hidden in his chest to make his head turn. If you want to go all the way, the rear half can be cut and built to open with another small servo.

2. The kit comes with a plain canopy and a simpler cockpit can be built with just framing and a off-the-shelf pilot figure.

3. The canopy and cockpit is right on top of the battery hatch cover. That means we can have all of the above by building several hatches.

As for this build I will go with option 2 to save time. I shall do a separate build for the cockpit interior because I need a manual for that too. But that would be after the maiden. Maybe I will do a third cockpit with just a camera in there for VR goggle flying.

I have searched unsuccesfully, far and wide, for a nice modern jet pilot figure about 1/10th scale. If you know of a source, please let me know asap. I will be needing it soon.

Fahim

wowplanes 07-11-2010 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whoops forgot the pics.

rcmiket 07-11-2010 08:28 PM

Do you have a target date for the release?
Mike

wowplanes 07-11-2010 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

Do you have a target date for the release?
Mike
Mike
I am shooting for Aug 1 + or - a few days.
Fahim

rcmiket 07-12-2010 06:19 AM

Thanks can't wait for the flight test reports.
Mike

wowplanes 07-12-2010 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next we do the canopy. I am going with the basic plain Jane version for now. Will replace with the cockpit interior version after the maiden.
Fahim