Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

End points on the throttle? can't get WOT

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

End points on the throttle? can't get WOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 03:17 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End points on the throttle? can't get WOT

I had asked this question before in a different thread , but no one answered. What sets the endpoints on the esc or radio?

With car/truck esc's we always set the endpoints once with the particular radio being used and they stay that way. On the planes I have some of them required going to WOT then idle after power up , but I'm wondering if that sets endpoints to ensure WOT?

All my planes seemed to operate ok with stock RTF gear and radios , but upon switching radios I can no longer get WOT on 3 different models. I have the trim slid all way down lowest because that is what worked , yet they will not go WOT. 1 of them simply powers up and is ready to go , the other 2 are identical and require the TX to be put at full throttle then idle to start motor.

Any ideas where I am going wrong here?
Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: End points on the throttle? can't get WOT

ESC's are generally calibrated to the end points that the radio is using.

The move the throttle to full, then back to idle before it arms is a safety measure to keep you from chopping off fingers which cars (for the most part) wont do like an APC prop.

If you're not getting full power you need to calibrate the throttle channel which varies by manufacturer.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:17 PM
guver

Hmm, I have never heard of that. Calibrate the throttle channel? Would this be in the esc manufacturer's manual or the Radio manufacturer manual?

I did some checking in the manuals and on one of them the safety procedure does seem to set the endpoints everytime powering up. After realising I have a throttle cut switch on this new TX I disabled it and I have successfully calibrated this one.

I have 2 of them to do now and on one of them the only way to get WOT and idle upon startup was to set endpoints on the TX to 120% and 120%. It is like the TX doesn't have enough "travel" , but I still can't seem to "calibrate it. I think I just happened to match the new TX to the old one. I did have luck setting the brake and unsetting the brake though. I need the manual for the esc. It would help.

It is the Hobbico 48" piper super cub and has this esc in it. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVZZ1&P=V

Old 10-05-2011, 03:45 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never set end-points on an ESC for an airplane.

Generally speaking your ESC should come with instructions on set-up.

Typically. you set your throttle at zero and turn on the plane. The ESC will look at that as zero throttle. On RARE occasion you need to move the trim on the radio all the way down to get it to read true zero but that is unusual.

Then you go to full throttle. It reads this as full throttle.

Then back to zero.

You are now calibrated.

If you change the end-point in the radio the ESC will still read zero as zero and full throttle on the stick as full throttle and will ignore what you have done in the radio.

If those radios are Futaba radios, you may have to reverse the throttle channel. Ifly futaba and I have to reverse the throttle channel on all of my electric aircraft or the ESC will not armproperly.

Not sure why this is except that is would seem that Futaba does not follow the current standard for the throttle channel.

When asking these types of questions it is always best to include as much info as possible, like the brand and model of the radios as well as the brand or model of ESC if you know it. Otherwise we are trying to diagnose an unknown set of radios and unknown set of ESC.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Depends on the ESC, Castle ESC's (even the ones on my planes ) can be forced into a calibration mode to precisely set the throttle. It gives you linear stick response by the ESC instead of full power at 3/4 stick or needing to jack up the end points to get to true full throttle.

As Ed said, a list of the equipment in question would be extremely helpful.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:41 PM
guver

Thanks guys. The esc in question http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVZZ1&P=V has no manual , but I am able to read 2 different plane manuals describing it's set-up for brake. It does indeed act exactly as the book says it should EXCEPT that I don't get WOT. It also doesn't get idle until trim is reduced to all the way down. My workaround on his particular esc today was to set endpoints to MAX at 120% and it just barely will get to idle AND wot now. I did maiden the plane today and all went well.

My flysky CT6B TX is this chinese one http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html

This particular esc arms itself when idle is found. Upon powering up the model if the TX is at idle it is armed and ready to go.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:49 PM
guver

I guess so far I have one that acts exactly like Ed describes and then one that acts like Barracuda describes (jacking up the endpoints to get the full range)

Guess what? The third one has no manual either and is different yet. This one gets plugged in and as soon as it detects idle it tones out the number of lipo cells and then it's armed too , but wouldn't get to WOT either. Jacking up the endpoint on it didn't quite get WOT. It is the esc in this plane http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...5Fn%5FFly.html
Old 10-06-2011, 12:38 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All I can add is you might want to consider making a manual part of your criteria for buying your ESC.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:46 AM
guver

That was the trick for this 3rd one. I "borrowed" a manual from another esc on HK and it was easy. Power up with WOT and then go to idle , end points are set for new TX. I'll be a happy flyer now. The second esc (the tactic BL-18) is kinda hokey to me , but I can work with it I guess. I'll be good to go now and can add even more planes to the fleet.