Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Newbie what plane?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 07:53 AM
hushie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: i just ordered a freedom flyer

ok LISTEN UP!
im only 15 and i just started flying with my venom freedom flyer!
in my second go i was having good smooth flights. And in one week i was doing snaps, barrel rolls, loops and touch and gos with the same plane.
BUT THE BEST THING IS, EVERY PART IN IT IS REPLACABLE! AND THEY DONT COST MUCH AT ALL!!!
They are great for learning the basics and once youve learnt that you can go on to do many tricks.
everything from the fueslage to control clips are all avaible for spares.
Its good that you dont need to by a radio controll either! it comes with it. all for $200 australian.
THE FREEDOM FLYER IS THE WAY TO GO!
Old 01-31-2004, 07:54 AM
goofup

Then there's my advice: [link=http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/Newbies.html]My Advice To Newbies[/link]
Old 01-31-2004, 04:17 PM
WacoFlyer

I learned to fly r/c recently on a Hobbico Superstar EP Select. I think this was a great plane because it is made of wood, has a decent radio, and has forgiving flight characteristics. I very highly reccomend this great plane. I posted a pic of one below
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67441.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	96018  
Old 03-17-2004, 09:36 AM
aman_74

ORIGINAL: goofup

Then there's my advice: [link=http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/Newbies.html]My Advice To Newbies[/link]
Excellent guide, thanks so much, I plan on using it.

I know you really like the GWS planes, for beginners, but do you have any thoughts on the Easystar, even if you haven't flown one. The reason I ask is that I know that wind is a big issue and that I need to fly in calm weather, but I also need to be practical and there is hardly a calm moment around here. The Easystar seems to fit the requirement for a beginner and has the added ability of handling some wind.

The Tiger Moth build seemed that it would take some additional knowledge and forethought for a beginner, were those details just something that you specifically wanted to accomplish and mod and maybe no necessary "out of the box" for a new builder? Maybe the SS is easier?

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2004, 07:23 PM
lift off

Default RE: Newbie what plane?

Slow stick all the way man!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 05:07 AM
aman_74

Default RE: Newbie what plane?

ORIGINAL: lift off

Slow stick all the way man!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, but I've read plenty of info on the boards and obviously know that the SS is highly recommended, but I have concerns about the wind, as mentioned and need responses dealing with the info in my post.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:32 AM
goofup

If you feel you need a Easystar or the like because of constant windy conditions, by all means go ahead and get one. Contrary to popular belief, any plane can be a "first", "beginner", or "trainer" plane. But some are a heck of a lot better than others.

You'll also find out for yourself about trying to learn to fly in the wind. Of course it can be done!.... eventually.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:10 PM
halfandhalf825

i'd go with the horizon hobby Soarstar. Its a 3 channel that comes with motor, gearbox, speed controller, battery and charger. It only costs $120 and all u need to do is buy an inexpensive 3 channel radio. My dad tuaght himself to fly gas with this plane. Its made out of foam and the motor is in the back. Perfect for a beginner.
just my $.02
Old 03-18-2004, 08:41 PM
aman_74

ORIGINAL: goofup

If you feel you need a Easystar or the like because of constant windy conditions, by all means go ahead and get one. Contrary to popular belief, any plane can be a "first", "beginner", or "trainer" plane. But some are a heck of a lot better than others.

You'll also find out for yourself about trying to learn to fly in the wind. Of course it can be done!.... eventually.

I'm not saying I want to fly in the wind right away, I know it may be too tough for a newbie like myself, I just prefer to have the ability so when I get better I don't have to have a new plane. If an easy star is that much tougher to learn on then I'd go with an SS. It's just that from what I'm hearing I'm sure there's more than one viable option for a good beginner unit and the easy star has come up quite a bit among others, just seeking the best route for me.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:46 PM
sargentw

Dragus?? Are you there? Whatever happened to Dragus? He started this thread in August 2003 and has had 11 posts since. I wonder if he got a plane? Man, I'm still trying to find a plane for Dragus and I think he's given us the slip.

aman_74, You need to get a plane and don't give us the slip too. .
Old 03-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Hatty

Ok. Everyone says that the slow stick is a great plane to learn to fly with, and I would not dare debate that. However, I was wondering is the Great Planes Yard Stick is as good or better than the Slow Stick. They look to be about the same with all of the specs, but I would like to ask someone who has flown it before I buy one.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:40 PM
jwong

Now, after I get some feel and experience with this plane, and I also continue to research online for other planes (GWS mostly), I find that one of the disadvantage of wattage cessna 180 is that it cannot take off from ground not you can change the motor easily.....

most of the GWS plane can take off from ground easily usually because the battery has higher voltage or motor is more powerful (300 or above, usually 380). Also the Prop size can alter the performance of the plane as well.

Since this thread are replied by so many people, I am wondering how would I bring this wattage Cessna 180 to the next level? I enjoy watching the plane taking off and landing so having this ability is a plus but i don't think this plane has a ability to take off from ground with the current motor and power.

have any of you guys tried to modified the Wattage Cessna 180? will using 8.4V battery work and give more power? or should the motor be replaced from 180 to something like 380....? or should I change the prop size ? All i need is to see the plane take off easily from ground and fly

Again, I am still a learner so please forgive me if anything i mention above does not make sense.

Currently I am also considering to buy the below GWS planes:

1. Slow Stick
2. Beaver
3. E-Starter

Can someone shed some light how these compare to the Wattage 180? the next one I get, I need to make sure I can have it taken off from ground, a MUST to me!! [:'(]

Thanks a lot guys! any comments are very much appreciated!!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:37 AM
WolfeWind

I have only flown the Cessna 180 a couple of times, but found it to be pretty quick because of it's small size. If you can fly that, you can probably handle an E-Starter which would be capable of short grass take offs and landings if you reinforce the landing gear mount and the tail a little.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:31 AM
vinzlum

Hi all. I need some expert's help. i'm new to electric airplane and I have never flown one successfully before (I crashed my 1st plane hand launching it). My 1st plane has the prop in the front...so everytime i had the nose dug into the ground, i'll have to replace new props...and spares are not easy to get from my place. So now i'm thinking of getting a better plane which allows slow gliding and little bit of loops when i get better. And of course, can with stand some thrashings from crashes (prefered the prop to be at the back). So which starter plane should i go for? I am looking at the "Aerobird" and the "Dragon wing". Both are quite similar (though i find Aerobird has a nicer outlook). I just can't make up my mind. There are also some Aerobird and firebirds selling in ebay which is so much cheaper then the Aerobird selling at HobbyZone. Are they authentic? Or just another Chinese copycats? Please Advise thank you.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:32 PM
jwong

I just ordered these parts:

Plane: Wattage Decathlon EP
Motor : Wattage Super cobalt 400
Receiver: Cirrus brand MX4
Battery: Wattage brand 9.6 volt Battery Pack
Speed Control: Wattage brand 380 w/ bec
(2) Cirrus 18 mini servos
(3) APC 7x5E propellers

However, I asked around, some people said it's ok configuration some people said it's too heavy... now I don't know what to do...

is the above configuration ok for the plane? any insight or advice?

thanks.