Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Electric Warbird: Help with ESC Selection

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Electric Warbird: Help with ESC Selection

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:50 AM
mark IX
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric Warbird: Help with ESC Selection

Ok, I need some recommendations for an ESC. The application is a 1/5 Spitfire weighing in at around 18-20 lbs, 83" ws, and I will be swinging a 24-12 4 blade prop. As near as I can tell, the prop data indicates it requires about 2HP to swing this prop at 6000rpm. The motor I have in mind is a Turnigy CA80-80 with 12S 5000mah, 40C, Li Po batteries (2 6s in series). I would like to be able to program the ESC to set the LVC, soft start, etc. I don't have to have a BEC although it would be convenient. Any suggestions would be helpful regarding selection criteria, brand, current rating, etc.

Thanx, Mark
Old 08-12-2014, 12:47 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

This motor, the Turnigy CA80-80, requires a 200 Amp ESC, so your shopping choices will be fairly limited. The Castle Creations Phoenix Edge 200 is a good choice. You should skip any thoughts about using a BEC with an airplane this heavy and powerful; go with a separate flight battery for the receiver and servos; dual redundant receiver batteries is an even better idea.

Hobbyking also stocks a surprising number of 200 Amp ESCs; you'll have to dig through them to confirm that they support the features that you're looking for. Good luck, and good shopping!
Old 08-12-2014, 01:06 PM
mark IX

Big, why do you say this motor requires a 200A ESC? The prop data I have says the prop requires approx 50A to spin at 6000 rpm?

Mark
Old 08-12-2014, 01:17 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was simply going by the recommendation listed for the Turnigy CA80-80 motor on the HobbyKing web site.

The 200A ESC recommendation certainly could be over the top, and you may run the motor successfully with a lighter ESC than was suggested. Please post back and let us know what your experience is with your ESC choice for this motor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Turnigy CA80-80.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	2021854  
Old 08-13-2014, 02:16 AM
mark IX

Does anyone have any experience with the Turnigy ESC? Are they reliable? Easy to Program?

Thanx, Mark