Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Little help on picking details

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Little help on picking details

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 09:00 PM
benzy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little help on picking details

Ok i have read around for a while and i am picking a slow stick for my first plane. With it i am geting a QUATTRO 4CH FM R700, 4-527 72MHZ, FM CRYSTAL SET 72.190, 15 AMP SPEED CONTROL W/BRAKE, and then a battery or two and a charger. Right now i have two batteris for cars which dont seem to be the same size as these batteries and have different connectors. So my questions are:

1) Of the equipment i have selected would you go along with it or would you get something else?

2) are the batteries i have for my car the right size(assuming no but it is worth it to ask)?

3) It seems as i look through the different batteries at horizon they have different connectors. Which is the right battery and a good battery to use?

4) will my car charger(which is old but charges up to 1700 mAh on a timer) work with the new batteries?

5) Would it be smater to just buy the flight pack? I thought of doing this but the radio comes with reciever, and 4 servos so it seemed like i would be doubling up on a lot of stuff. If it is a better deal and more worth it i can just take the starter pack, the radio, a crystal(as it seems it isnt included) and then a charger if my old one isnt the right kind.

I try to look through the threads and all but normally it just says get a good 4-5 channel and get good electronics. Well i just need a little help on which ones are good.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:43 PM
Dr Kiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Little help on picking details

Your car batteries are almost certainly to big and heavy, and are probably only 6-cell. If you want to stick with NiCd you should get some 7-cell 600AE's, if you want to go the NiMh route get some 7-8cell 650KAN's. For a charger you can get an FMA SuperNova 250S or a Great Planes Triton - very versatile and capable of slow charge/discharge etc for both NiCd and NiMh [and the Triton will do LiPoly too]. For connectors it appears Deans Micros are the popular choice, though I use MP Jet Gold connectors. The JST connectors on the Slow Stick motor are not rated for more than 2-3A, though people do use them at 7-8A (asking for trouble?).

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Phil