Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Good First Planes

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 PM
gardnesd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good First Planes

Ok, I'm getting the GWS Slow Stick. New to rc flying. what i want to know is what radio system do you guys recommend? I want something with good range but i don't plan to upgrade to a bigger plane. In other words, a cheap one.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:12 PM
bernhardjwolf

Hi,
I have never flown RC airplanes before, but just received A FlyZone Select Cessna 182 RTF as a present. This is an airplane with 5 channel control (4 channels and flaps). I researched it a bit, and opinions whether it can be flown by a newbie are mixed. I also received a flight simulator with it.
One positive might be that I am a quite experienced full scale pilot with 3200 hrs and every fixed wing rating there is, on the downside I live in a very rural area and don't know any RC flyers, so an instructor might be hard to find. Anyway, the airplane sits on a desk assembled and ready to fly, but I don't want to destroy it on my first flight (less because of the money involved, but more not to hurt the feelings of the person who gave it to me).
So do the experienced pilots here think I can fly this by myself without pulverizing it on the first flight ( I am able to fly the simulator ok with even more advanced planes), and does have anyone any tips for my first flight?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 PM
cjg

Knowing how to fly a real plane will help with understanding the dynamics flight (stalls, airspeed, ailerons, rudders, etc).

It won't help with the manipulation of RC controls. Flying heads in (toward you) is completely different than sitting in the cockpit. Some controls are reversed, others aren't.

I recommend either a very wide open space, and lots of altitude for you first flight, or try out an RC simulator first.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:21 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A new addition - The Parkzone Radian electric glider
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ProdID=PKZ4700

This e-gldier almost flies itself. The RTF package includes everyting you need for $250. The included brushless motor will take the plane up at a confident 75 degree angle. Once you are several hundred feet high, turn the motor off. The prop will fold. Now you are gliding.

If you are lucky or skilled, you can hook into a thermal and work the plane high into the sky with the motor off. Flights can be as short as 5 minutes or hours in lenght, on one battery pack.

- Spektrumâ„¢ DX5e 5-channel full range 2.4GHz DSM2â„¢ radio system eliminates interference and the need for frequency control
- Ready-to-fly right from the box – everything you need is included inside, even the batteries
- Large 2-meter wingspan makes the Radian easy to see and provides an excellent lift-to-drag ratio
- Plug-in wings separate for easy transportation and storage
- 11.1V, 1300mAh Li-Po battery for extended flight times
- Variable rate DC cell-balancing Li-Po charger safely charges and conditions Li-Po battery

- Wingspan: 78.7 in (2 m)
- Overall Length: 44.7 in (1137mm)
- Flying Weight: 30 oz (830 g)
- Motor Size: 480 brushless outrunner, 960Kv
- Radio: Spektrum 2.4GHz DX5e with AR500 full range receiver (included)
- Servos: Sub-micro 3-wire
- CG (center of gravity): 62mm behind the leading edge of the wing
- Speed Control : E-flite 30A Pro Brushless ESC with Switch-Mode BEC (EFLA1030) (included)
- Recommended Battery: 11.1V 1300mAh Li-Po (PKZ1033) (included)
- Approx. Flying Duration: Flight times in excess of 30 minutes when using the included ParkZone 1300mAh Li-Po battery and limited motor run
- Charger: 12V DC 2- to 3-cell Li-Po balancing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61032.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	1266261  
Old 02-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Swift427

gardnesd ~"In other words, a cheap one"
It’s beginning to look like Horizon Hobby is finally eliminating its V-tail boom planes. ParkZone’s Slo-V-tail boom is still available, but for how long is uncertain. It took HZ long enough to finally realize that all their chintzy V-tail planes with all their overhead inventory of a zillion replacement parts was no longer in their best interest nor the consumers or the LHSs.

Will an ARF/RTF 3-channel brushless foamy one aileron twin boom pusher ever be marketed? A molded plane w/colorful decals similar in design to the following link. http://www.foamflyer.info/plane.html You’d think there would be enough profit margin with one priced under $200. An ARF/RTF design with accessory provision for those wanting to add the other aileron. However, with a falling dollar and rising yuan it may be expecting too much.

For some of you that think even this simple 3 channel one aileron pusher (if a RTF/ARF were available for purchase) is not suitable as a first plane let me offer my following 2 cents with respect to the previous post by Ed. First though we can't emphasize enough that there is a world of difference with respect to ones age and a self-taught parkflyer versus learning from a recognized/certified club instructor.

Since when is a $250 Parkzone Radian electric glider with a Spektrum™ DX5e 5-channel full range 2.4GHz DSM2™ radio system considered a suitable first plane for a beginner … unless of course your flight instructor happens to be both a glider enthusiast and half owner (e.g. Dad, big brother, etc) that’s willing to put up $125 or more toward the purchase.

NOTE: Yes, Ed I realize/agree with the value in the saying, "You get what you pay!" The Parkzone Radian with DX5e is certainly tempting for the price. "In other words, a cheap one" has proven to be a waste of money the majority of time.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:24 PM
UncleFesterESQ

Ugh, well, here we go. Any info on the Air Field RC Cessna 182 Sky Trainer?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a182-ai...iner-blue.html

I've heard mixed reviews on nitroplanes, but I've seen you tube videos from "NightFlyer's" channel, and he recommends it. I'm a n00b, so my knowledge is very limited, but at $150 I could buy 2 of them as opposed to coughing up the $300 for the E-Flight Apprentice 15e.

Quick background on me:
1. Just recieved AMA card
2. Signed up with a local club here in SoCal, so I'll have some training help.
3. Logged in quite a few hours on my RealFlight Basic that I purchased 2 weeks ago.
4. I've learned quite a bit on the internet the past few weeks. Seems like the more I read, the more worried I get about my first plane purchase. :>( I really want something that will grow with me.

Well, there we go. A first post. Smells like..... victory.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:24 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: Swift427
gardnesd ~"In other words, a cheap one"
It’s beginning to look like Horizon Hobby is finally eliminating its V-tail boom planes. ParkZone’s Slo-V-tail boom is still available, but for how long is uncertain. It took HZ long enough to finally realize that all their chintzy V-tail planes with all their overhead inventory of a zillion replacement parts was no longer in their best interest nor the consumers or the LHSs.
The consumer votes with his $$. What is in the best interest of LHS is planes that sell rapidly.

The HobbyZone Firebird and Aerobird series were wonderful models that introduced thousands to flying RCairplanes. In their day the represented a breakthrough in quality and value.Iwas one of those fortunate people who benefited from the ease of flying and rugged design of these planes. But time moves on, new products are produced and old ones fade away.

There is nothing wrong with V tails. I have a nice 2M ARF V tail glider and a 3Mcompetition V tail glider.

ORIGINAL: Swift427

Will an ARF/RTF 3-channel brushless foamy one aileron twin boom pusher ever be marketed? A molded plane w/colorful decals similar in design to the following link. http://www.foamflyer.info/plane.html You’d think there would be enough profit margin with one priced under $200. An ARF/RTF design with accessory provision for those wanting to add the other aileron. However, with a falling dollar and rising yuan it may be expecting too much.

For some of you that think even this simple 3 channel one aileron pusher (if a RTF/ARF were available for purchase) is not suitable as a first plane let me offer my following 2 cents with respect to the previous post by Ed. First though we can't emphasize enough that there is a world of difference with respect to ones age and a self-taught parkflyer versus learning from a recognized/certified club instructor.

Since when is a $250 Parkzone Radian electric glider with a Spektrum™ DX5e 5-channel full range 2.4GHz DSM2™ radio system considered a suitable first plane for a beginner … unless of course your flight instructor happens to be both a glider enthusiast and half owner (e.g. Dad, big brother, etc) that’s willing to put up $125 or more toward the purchase.
This has been a suitable first plane since about last November.

Pilots are starting on the Radian with wonderful success all over the country.

Many of the most popular first 2 and 3 channel electric planes are actually gliders in disguise. The Firebirds, the T-Hawk, the Aerobirds, the Easy Star, the slow stick and many more. They are extremely stable and very self correcting, The are capable of slow, power off flight giving the new pilot lots of time to consider their next move. This is a verygood forumla for a first plane for a self trainer.

Likewise the Radian falls into the same category. The plane flies very slowly. In fact, properly trimed, the plane will fly unattended. Get it 100 feet up and cut the power and the plane will float along all on its own. Line it up for landing and just let it glide in to land. Wonderful.

The foam is very resiliant, hard to break and easy to fix. Another good attibute.

Finally the RTF with 2.4 GHz radio avoids all frequency confligs with other pilots.

As for the price. Well one man's cheap is another man's expensive. People can judge for themselves.

[quote]ORIGINAL: Swift427

NOTE: Yes, Ed I realize/agree with the value in the saying, "You get what you pay!" The Parkzone Radian with DX5e is certainly tempting for the price. "In other words, a cheap one" has proven to be a waste of money the majority of time.
What is cheap? Irarely use price as a key criteria. Ilook for value. A $30 airhogs RTF can be a good value. A $150 RTF may be a poor value. It all depends on what you get for your money. What is a poor value vs. a good value is usually determined by the market.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:01 PM
SteelersRule!

i don't know if anyone brought up Mountain Models or Stevens very reasonable, easy to build and quality service.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: lpkorpas1

i don't know if anyone brought up Mountain Models or Stevens very reasonable, easy to build and quality service.
Those are brands, not models. Do they have models/kits that you would recommend as good first planes?
Old 05-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Swift427

Ed,

There is nothing wrong with V tails. I have a nice 2M ARF V tail glider and a 3M competition V tail glider.
V-tails serve a functional must for sailplane/gliders/slope soarers, and for sleek/speedy pylon racers.

When it comes to whether or not the PZ Slo-V would be better with a traditional rudder/elevator setup OR whether a GWS Slow Stick would be better with a V-tail is more personal preference/taste (mute/a toss-up) ... they don't need to slip stream(glide/ride thermals), go 100 mph or look like a Predator ... still a V-tail looks cool. I prefer the V-tail looks of a Slo-V, but many buy the GWS as an inexpensive kit with a choice of accessories, its main wing aileron mod capability, etc. Probably more GWS kits and accessories have been sold over the years than any other electric plane. Has there ever been another kit as popular as the Slow-Stick?

What is cheap? I rarely use price as a key criteria. I look for value. A $30 airhogs RTF can be a good value. A $150 RTF may be a poor value. It all depends on what you get for your money. What is a poor value vs. a good value is usually determined by the market.
The best value for my 7 year old grandson for two years has been a little one channel $10 Airhog
Delta Wing Jet (with adjustable rudder stablizer) that does neat aerobatics while generally flying in a circle with 100' range ... only control is prop speed with finger trigger (don't make them anymore).

And then there was the colorful, cool-looking RTF Aerobird Swift V-tail that caught many a Parkflyer's eye, but proved to be a "boring" if not frustrating "poor value."
Old 07-21-2010, 02:39 AM
skyblue

Banana Hobby Sky Surfer
I recently tested a friend's Sky Surfer and was very pleased with it's peformance. The Surfer had plenty of power from it's brushless motor and was stable in it's flight.The assembly was extremely simple;just glue on tail and wings. The motor,servos,esc,receiver are preinstallled . The plane has rudder ,elevator,aileron and motor control. The radio is a 2.4 gh 4 channel with receiver,1300 lipo and battery charger. The Surfer has a carbon spar for the wing and overall this plane is quite sturdy. I have flown many training planes on the market and this one is the most crash resistent of all. The Sky Surfer from Banana Hobby is well worth your consideration.

Happy Landings
Old 07-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Netdewt

Anyone try this one?

Mini Telemaster
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mini_tele..._7012_prd1.htm
Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Killerbe83

I myself just started flying RC and after reading many posts and reviews and doing my research I ended up with the EMBER2 (RTF) from Parkzone.

I couldn't be happier with my choice. This little ultra-micro is a great trainer plane. This true 3-channel with rudder and elevator control is fun to fly and easy to gain confidence.

The price of the RTF has gone down and being able to pick one up at the LHS for under $100 is a bargain when it comes with a stock 4-channel transmitter and Spektrum 2.4Ghz DSM2 technology.
With the only downfall being a ridiculously light airframe making it hard to fly on a mildly windy day. But on the upside even in a light wind you can really learn how the plane is effected by the elements and learn how to counter those forces and still fly.
I have just recently added the Parkzone J-3 cub prop (100mm x 60mm) which has boosted the speed a little bit and also allows it to cut through the wind, if any, much better.
I will be adding the "Tiny Bright Lights" light kit for easier flying at dusk when the winds are normally low.

Great trainer, at a great price, with a great bind-n-fly Tx, and an all round great joy to fly!!!

My next step will probably the Parkzone J-3 Cub.

Kyle
Old 05-06-2011, 11:43 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm using the Ultra Micro T-28 as my first plane. It too has a light frame so winds are tricky. Once I trimmed out the quirks, like too much up elevator, man could that plane loop, and too much left aileron, rolled into the ground first flight, it flys very nicely and is very stable. Iflew it at half throttle and was able to keep it under control quite easily for my first "real" plane. At full throttle it can really move. Being that it is white and red it is easy to see too, except when the sun gets in the way ! Iwas able to hover it too, had just enough wind to keep it airborne at a low throttle and it just hung there like it was on a string, pretty cool.

So I would recomend it for anyone who has flown a simulator and at least knows what the sticks do. Iwish I had a big indoor place I could fly it though, my grass is too high for TO&L with it, and I have yet had a calm enough day to fly it again outside.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No one has added anything new to this thread for some time. I regained my interest in RC planes a few years back. The early years 60's were spent fooling around with first stepping escapes and minimal control, then with reed systems.
I finally got around to trying ARF's in the middle 70's, along with a Heathkit proportional TX RX kit. Got out of the hobby, and got back in.

Today, I'd say that a six channel TX RX is the minimum to start with, unless there are severe monetary concerns.
Since I'm quite a bit older now larger aircraft (5-6 foot wings) are easier for me to see and control.
The electrics have the most appeal, since I still remember (not fondly) trying to start stubborn glow engines in cold weather.
An Alpha 40 with an E-flite 25 or 32 and a 4 cell 3300MAH Lipo is not a bad first trainer. A modification is to relocate the wing to the rear about an inch or so.
This eliminates most of the additional nose weight needed to compensate for the weight difference between the electric motor and the .46 glow engine.

Another plane (If you have an instructor) is the "platinum edition" DH-2 Beaver. When setup properly, it's also easy to fly, and has a great deal of "curb appeal"

The RC hobby was never inexpensive. It always has cost either time, money, or both. Many of the low priced RTFs are of limited use, since they can be difficult to fly in even a slight wind.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Swift427

ORIGINAL: chuckk2
Today, I'd say that a six channel TX RX is the minimum to start with, unless there are severe monetary concerns.
Since I'm quite a bit older now larger aircraft (5-6 foot wings) are easier for me to see and control.

Many of the low priced RTFs are of limited use, since they can be difficult to fly in even a slight wind.
Agree that your recommendation is a perfect fit for your background, but not by a long shot for your average youthful parkflyer that's just getting into electrics. Besides, it's always best for a beginner to first get a handle on the basics with little or no wind.

A better choice for just as much fun for less cost is the Ultra-Micro P-51D BNF with fully proportional throttle, ailerons, elevator, rudder. It's a good 4-channel beginner choice for learning in an indoor arena during those dreary/windy spring, fall or winter days outside.

$99 for the BNF, plus $43 for the 2.4GHz TX, plus $10 for a couple extra props, plus $13 for a couple extra inexpensive batteries, plus $15 for the AC Charger Adaptor.

You are correct in saying it's not cheap even with a relatively inexpensive UltraMicro setup coming in at just under $200, but just as much fun for a beginner as your perfect 21st Century reintroduction to flying via electric power.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 AM
JHarris6210

Question folks. I have found two so-called trainers for under $100 on theh web. One is a Flyzone Super Cub Micro made by Hobbico. The other being Cox Sky Ranger EP. The Micro has a wing spread of 17.7" and the Cox had 20".I would like input on these or similar cheaper planes that would be good trainers. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 AM
aeajr

The Multiplex Easy Star has long been a favorite plane for me to recommend. However you can't find them anymore.

Why?

They are being phased out and replaced by the Hitec Sky Scout
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...cout%3C%2Fb%3E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-0Ka80VpU

Same plane with better motor and Hitec electronics. Good package. Flies well AND it gliders well too.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Summit is Beast!!!

Im prob about to order the hobbyzone super cub dsm rtf. This will be my first plane and first time flying an rc plane. Anybody got any cons they would like to post about this plane? Thanks
Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 PM
aeajr

One of my most recommended planes is the HZ Super Cub RTF.

Also visit these threads:

> Six Keys to Success
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2840882/tm.htm

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

HOW TO FIX WARPS, DENTS, TWISTS OR UNCRUNCH FOAM PARTS
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66805

> Workshop Ventilation
> http://forums.flyesl.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=235

And, for when you are thinking about that next plane, which should be some ways off, this might be good food for thought.

How to select your first radio
Old 11-15-2013, 03:30 AM
HarpViola

Hi all

I am very new to RC flying in general. I am currently flying a Parkzone Radian which I am very happy with and have a HiTec Aurora 9 Tx. I am looking to buy a trainer aircraft and have been looking at the ST Models Discovery. Can anyone tell me if this is a wise first choice and, if it is, could you point me in the direction of a manual in English? I would like to have a read-through before buying but the only one I can find on-line is in German.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 06:17 AM
aeajr

It is always a good idea to provide a link to any aircraft you are asking about rather than make us hunt for it. I don't know this plane.

A quick google search on ST Models Discovery manual provided this. Got pretty good reviews as a trainer.
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/reviews...ews.asp?p=2101

Yahoo search found this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcTHg4V4qL4
Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM
JPerrone

While I was visiting my dad in Florida I bought a Firebird Stratos, took it to the local park. Worked fine; could keep it within the confines of the field, no bad habits, could take off of a baseball pitch. Ran it into a tree, beat the c***p out of it getting it out, just very minor damage with that soft foam.

Has pretty nice battery connections that work well. No aileron but it has two motors and it does some exponential thing that makes it roll a bit in a turn!

Well that was so much fun I got an Ares Gamma 370 and it was even more fun than the Stratos. It had cheap molex/Tamiya battery connecitons, I swapped them out for Deans.

I would recommend either of them for someone with a little experience; not sure I would recommend them for a complete beginner though

Regards
Old 01-18-2014, 08:44 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Netdewt
Anyone try this one?

Mini Telemaster
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mini_tele..._7012_prd1.htm
Telemasters have a long great history.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say I am totally impressed with the " Apprentice 15e ". YouTube the reviews. Comes with great radio too. Worth the money considering the success rate and survivalism probability.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.