Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

EP glider questions

Old 01-15-2004, 10:55 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EP glider questions

Hi ... I am new to EP planes and I just purchased an OMEI 2000 EP glider (http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/Omei_75.htm), the kits is beautiful and the workmanship is brilliant. I need some assistance. I am not new to GP planes and GP cars but very new to EP planes.

My queries are as follow:

- what is the best power source (it has a 540 motor, but its larger than the ones on EP cars, looks like the ones used in GP car starter boxes)

- do I use the same stick pack for cars and if so 7 or 8 cells?

- will 3300Mah cells be too heavy for a glider of 3 pounds?

- will any EP car ESC do?

- what happens when the batt runs out, since the RX is powered by the same batt or need it not be that way?

Your input is really appreciated!!!
Old 03-13-2004, 01:07 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: EP glider questions

The fist thing to do is read the instructions. The mfg usually recommends battery sizes. Weight will be a mjor factor, especially when you go to balance the plane, a step you generally can skip with cars.

A car speed control might work but I would go with a plane speed control as most have a BEC, battery elimination circut. Not sure if this is common with cars. This allows the receiver to be run off of the flight battery.

Most airplane ESC/BEC have a cut off for the motor so when the battery gets too low, it will cut off the motor but leave enough power to keep the radio equipment running so you can land the plane.