Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

GP YardStick Help (Research B4 U Buy)

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

GP YardStick Help (Research B4 U Buy)

Old 05-08-2004, 05:04 PM
tseavert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP YardStick Help (Research B4 U Buy)

Hello Everyone[8D],

This is my first post so please let me know If this is not proper format or maybe I'm outta line.

I just got a YardStick. Got it built this weekend. Boy, from what I'm reading across the internet, I wish I gotten something else. I cannot get this thing off of the ground. Set up as follows... HiTec Laser 4, HT 555 Rec, 2 HS81 Servos, Rest of the Stock Stuff. This is my first plane. Some of the research I have done AFTER i got the plane suggests that it is a POS. I haven't found ANY positive info on this plane. If anyone could provide a link to some, it might make me feel better. Seems like the Slow Stick is the way to go.

As for the YS I did not know exactly how to mount the servos as they will not fit in the battery frame. I trusted TowerHobbies to make sure I was getting what I needed. I told them that I was new to RC, and asked them If the equipment I had picked out was OK for this kit. They said it was. I really wish I had a hobby store here where I live (Nearest is about 45 miles from Me).

OK, Anyone else out there have this plane? Does it work? Anyone using the HS81 servos? How did you mount them? Oh yea, Is there a possibility that I'm not getting full power through the ESC?

Can say that I liked building the kit. Was fun to play with the Radio Equip and get it to work properly. The instruction manual was not very thorough with the steps to build everything. They promote this as being suitable for a beginner to build and and fly. I think it said you could assemble this thing in about an hour, I don't think that is possible even for an experienced builder.

Attached are some pictures.

Any help and/or comments would be appreciated.

Oh yea I almost forgot, Ironic that this plane is showing up in the ad at the top of the page.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70594.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	130332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75275.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	130333  
Old 05-09-2004, 08:32 PM
mook

Default RE: GP YardStick Help (Research B4 U Buy)

GET A SLOW STICK 35$ use all your stuff in it i lreaned on the slow stick i got a 2nd one now going put 400motor esc 300 on it there good planes hope you get one dont quit because of a bad plane and yard stick is one of them lol
Old 05-10-2004, 07:53 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

If you look at the tens of thousands of products Tower Hobbies handles, you can understand that not every "order taker" is going to be familiar with every plane and every bit of electronic equipment, or whether or not what you ordered will be compatible with everything else. They just answer the phones, and probably don't really know much about R/C beyond what they pick up through taking order after order all day. You bought a plane and a radio, which is everything you need for A plane, just not necessarily YOUR plane.

That said, you didn't do too bad. With a little creativity, the HS81s can be used on the Yard Stick. From the looks of things, you've got the creative gene? I can't tell if the servos are mounted or not.

Don't bother with the Slow Stick. You've got a YS, so why spend more money? We can fix your plane, and you'll learn a lot in the process. There's nothing about the YS's design that makes it a bad plane. It's a great design, well built. You just need to do a little tweaking now that you have it. Nothing unusual about that; it's what this hobby is all about!

What specific issues are you having with the plane? Describe them, and we can work them out.

Your main problem will be with the motor. IIRC, they stick you with a wimpy Speed 280 and recommend a 6-cell pack. There are two ways we can go with this. Either switch to an 8-cell pack, or swap out the motor for a "hotter" Speed 300 that will draw more power from the batteries and put more into the prop.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:43 AM
jkscha

I Have a Yard Stick and find it to be a good plane. I do not have the same servos tough. Works ok with stock set up for your first few flights (do not try to fly in any wind). I put a Great Planes S-280 BB motor $20.00 and a 5.1:1 ratio gear box with a 9/6 prop on it $15.00. I find this set up with a 7 cell 700mha bat works great. More speed and better climbs. All in all a good plane. Also I did replace my motor mount with a home made aluminum one. I can attach a photo if you would like.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:07 PM
tseavert

Thanks Guys!!

jkscha I would like to see how you mounted the engine, as both of my motor mounts have broken. I am experiencing the same thing as a lot of other people with the brittle plastic. Both motor mounts have broken, one from a rough landing, and one for no reason. I broke one of the tabs off of the battery holder when I was assembling it. EXTREMELY fragile. One other problem I have is that one of the wings will not come off. I do not know why, but the TE rod will not come out of the wing bracket. I thought I might have accidently got some CA on it when I ca'd the wing mounts, but I cannot see any evidence of this. I soaked it for a couple of Mins with some acetone and still could not get it out.

Well Yesterday I had a little better experience with the plane. I can actually get it into the air if I hand launch it. I was trying ROG. One of the major problems that I have is that I have zip tied the servos to the battery holder. They are not secure enough. I could not get the plane to trim out properly, because I think the servos were moving. (I assume "trim" means to use trim controls on the TX to get plane to fly straight by using rudder and elevator.)

3 major problems right now.

1. need better motor mounts.
2. Need a better way to mount the servos.
3. Need more power, this thing seeems as though it is underpowered.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-10-2004, 06:41 PM
jkscha

I have some photos of my motor mount. I used some 1/8" X 1 1/4" flat stock from Lowe's and cut a 1" hole in it with a hole saw bent a 90 in it and trimmed the material where it mounts to the boom. I use some 6 minute epoxy to attach the mount to the boom. I used some electrical tape to hold it to the boom and shape the epoxy while it set up. The stock motor gear box setup will not allow you to do a ROG take off. I suggest the S-280 BB motor and the 5.1:1 gear box with a 9/6 prop. This is a cheap upgrade yet offers a very noticeable power increase. It runs about 4.6 amps and puts out around 40 watts on a 7 cell 650 bat. It will also run good on the stock 6 cell setup (7 cell is better).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21462.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	130986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53921.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	130987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60973.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	130988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31949.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	130989  
Old 05-10-2004, 07:13 PM
3dandpatternflyer

i thought this plane was GREAT! I saw a friend of mine flying it with everything stock with HS 55's and 2S TPs. Flew very fast and took off in like 3 feet!!

Hope u have luck wit yurs.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:19 AM
Matt Kirsch

Tom,

I don't know if they're on this site, but I've read threads where people have replaced the stock power system on their YS with a GWS EPS350C, C gear ratio and 10x8 prop. That turns it into what amounts to a carbon fiber and balsa Slow Stick, and gives the plane much better performance. Flights will be shorter, but at least it flies, right?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:17 PM
JimboWolgamuth

Has anyone else had a problem being able to get the front washer on the prop shaft. The shaft does not seem to be long enough for the thickness of the included prop and the washer.

Jim
Old 06-12-2004, 10:54 PM
sky_dancer

I had this problem. If you go to the Tower website and click on tech notes for this plane, you will find a little notation explaining that the front prop washer is designed to be used with APC props and not the supplied kit prop. I t says it's acceptable to just use the prop nut without the washer. Nice of GP to tell us that in the manual hunh?
So far I've only tried to fly my yardstick once and I couldn't get it to stay in the air. It just wants to dive. It seems like the motor mount rings have an awful lot of built in down thrust. I've adjusted them a bit to take some of it out but I haven't had a chance to try flying it again. It still looks like it has too much to me.
I have read what everyone has been saying about this plane but all in all I've always been pleased with GP products I've bought in the past. I understand that a motor upgrade might be in order but wouldn't it be possible to get at least some performance boost by starting with changing out the prop to an APC of a different pitch?
Michael
Old 06-14-2004, 07:49 AM
Matt Kirsch

The answer to that is: Maybe. Putting more prop load on the motor will increase the Amps drawn by the motor from the battery. While this will increase the amount of power being drawn, it may or may not increase performance. Pushing motors beyond their limits only creates heat. You have to be VERY careful that you don't draw more Amps than the motor, ESC, and/or battery can handle. If you're near the limit of any of the components, increasing the propeller load will cause that component to burn out.

In the case of the Yard Stick, I have no idea where in the power band it is on the stock configuration, so I don't know what you can expect. Swapping out the stock system for one that is known to work, such as the one on the GWS Slow Stick, is the safest bet.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Dynofly

I bought a YS but broke the boom trying to slide the pieces on, so I ordered a new boom and haven't got to fly yet. Did you have this problem with yours? I sure don't want to go through that again. I sanded the spots like the addendum said but could only get the first piece where it needed to go then nuthin but problems with the second piece. Unless you got the addendum showing the new specs for the sanding spots your plane will be of cg. I know some have used this motor mount system
www.geocities.com/horseflyhobbies/ and most have also upgraded to more powerful engine. I got my plane from NorthEast Sailplanes in a combo deal and it came with Hitec RCD HS-55 servos and a NiMHd, 8 x 720mah, AAA (9.6v) battery. I guess they heard about all the performance problems folks had with the 6-cell 650mAh battery (7.2v) battery. I have read where lots have adjusted the thrust to about 3 degrees from the stock 6 degrees and get lots better performance. I have heard lots of great things about the YS once you get the CG and other problems fixed. Say it is a great flyer and getting 30-45 min. flights out of lipos. Some using it for AP and says like a new plane with larger or brushless motor on plane. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2004, 07:24 AM
Matt Kirsch

Let Great Planes know about the troubles you're having. Unless enough people report issues like these, they won't correct them. They'll probably send you a new boom, no questions asked, free of charge.

[email protected]
Old 07-17-2004, 09:35 PM
tonyrc

I just got my YS flying today after have a heck of a time getting the wing mounts to move back and forth on the boom so I could get CG right!! I think the CG was pretty good. I had a tough time controlling the plane (some wind) and lots of stalling (maybe under powered issue). Unfortunately one stall crash was a bit too much and the boom snapped just forward of the front battery mount. Is there anyway to fix this? If not and I need to replace it how do I get the tail off (I had not glued anything else in place yet) without destroying it?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2004, 08:33 PM
kevinv
My Feedback: (1)

I too was frustrated with my yard stick, under powered , circling stalls, trouble trimming out.
Then I changed prop, broke the motor mounts loose rechecked the prop paralellism with the leading edge of the wing. Then super glued the mounts back.Cycled the battery. Also check how the prop turns, the gear box is a bushing type , is the bushing a oil lite type? I doudt it, put a drop of heavy oil on the motor shaft an turn it so the oil works it way into the bushing.
Now my yard stick flys straight and has plenty of power for that motor. It was the difference between night and day.
Most of my trouble was the motor mounts working loose with the rotation an torque of the prop. The prop would end up being about 3/4 inch out . The other Gentle man with his hand made mount looks impressive. I feel that is alot of the yard sticks trouble is the Motor mounts.
And the apc stock prop. the bushing collar in not even close to the right size even my after market I had to put a reamer to the collar to get it to fit. Now it is fun to fly.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Flame500000

I also bought a yardstick as part of a list of things I got to start off with (7CAF, 2 HS-55's, r114f, 7.2 nimh battery, ac great planes pd charger, and a c-10 speed control) as you could see i had high hopes and wanted compatibility with future planes. I ended up spending around 500 dollars and love everything but the plane it looks cool but seems to be extraordinarily under powered and all the plastic pars are junk. The box says assembles in 1 hour it took about 3-4. I enjoyed but the carbon fiber boom is horribly inconsistent the mounts would get stuck and suddenly break free.
I practiced in the dark with about 4 inches of snow as a cushion after 20 mins i was consistently getting it off the ground and going about 100 ft until i had a choice between a brick post or a hard landing. The landing broke both motor mounts (surprising... not) so some aspen wood, careful dremel work, and some zip ties and i was back out. I started getting good enough that the dark was becoming a problem.
2 days later after the blizzard stopped i went out in a foot of snow to try again and go about 1-15, 45 second flights in. I couldn't fix the snapped off landing gear so i figure the plane will last out the snow and it will be totaled by then so now i actually get to the meat of the question.
1. Am I just a bad flyer or is the plane junk and if so what can i do to make it better because i am very resourceful?
2. Is the GWS slow stick better/more durable/easier to fly and would it make a good replacement?

PS- I am coming off a firebird XL which over about 2 years has been through 4 wings 2 tails and a lot of packing tape repairs so maby that will give some incite as to how good/bad a pilot i am because i thought it was crap.
Sorry for the lengthy post