Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

CCLee C-17E

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 04:47 PM
frieslander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCLee C-17E

Hi: I just discovered this Forum and joined imediately. I just retired 2 weeks ago and had ordered an CCLee C-17E bi-plane from RC Experts on E-bay. This is my first model airplane since flying homebuild rubber powered planes when I was a teenager in the 50's. The first thing I did when I got the plane is charge the batterries, a disaster! I smelled something burning and saw smoke shoot out of the charger. I discovered that it was not wired properly, negative to positive and positive to negative. I then discovered that the instructions were in Chinese. I got in touch with RC-Experts and they promised to send me a new battey and charger but they did not have an English manual[>:]. I have been able to figure most of the instructions out by looking at the pictures. As I assembled the plane tonight, I discovered that I only have 3 elastic bands instead of 6[&o]. Does anyone on this forum have one of these bi-planes with english instructions? Also has anyone had any experience with RC-Experts? They are very slow with their e-mails, got the plane 1 1/2 weeks ago and am still trying to get things all sorted out. Any advice as to my first flight etc. when I get everything together?

Vliegtuig
Old 05-19-2004, 07:20 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: CCLee C-17E

I don't want to sound discouraging, but that may have not been the best choice for a first airplane. Some inexpensive all-in-one plane setups make fine first planes, but not all of them. The most successful design has had a large, high-mounted wing, a pusher prop, and a long tail boom.

This one, I haven't heard of until now. Looks like a rough scale model of a Beech Staggerwing.

Since you've got it, and it appears that it didn't cost you that much, it won't hurt to give it a shot. Heck, you may have more fun trying to get it to fly if you're the type of person that enjoys a challenge.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:20 PM
frieslander

Thanks for the comments Matt. Yes I always enjoy a challenge, I never give up. I started my radio control experiences with a homemade model tugboat. It ended up on the bottom of the pond on its maiden voyage, forgot to put that seal in that I kept reminding myself about[&o]. Have since build a bigger model tugboat 36" long and had lots of fun. I am not giving up on this one, as I mentioned, I am not new to planes, just radio control planes.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Having that free flight experience will help. You should be able to recognize what is wrong with the plane as far as trim and balance are concerned. That will go a long way toward success.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Mark474

I have one of these beauties and I think they are pretty good beginner planes. They are simple to put together and I will post some pictures and instructions next week as I am about to re build one.
My only advice is that they are a bit slow on turning so add a little elevator and you should be fine. Also, they are quite under powered with the 380 motor so dont make any turns until you have good flight speed or some altitude. I have made this mistake before. Adding a 400 or even a light 480 motor does improve the flight but dont forget to balance the plane if you add a heavier motor. The plane is very fragile and does not crash well but all the shell components, the wings, the fuse, the tail, etc can be bought from www.jperkinsdistribution.co.uk. The whole thing costs £21.36 so it is worth replacing rather than repairing any damaged parts.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Marosi

Hi!
I also just got a c17-e. What I wonder is, whether or not I can use throttle on this model. Does anyone know??? I don't want to ruin the whole thing, using throttle if the engine is not meant for that....
Old 07-06-2004, 11:24 AM
nascardon76

I own a c-17e and am happy with it but am having trouble finding replacement parts. I checked out jperkinsdistributions but they will not sell directly to the public, only to businesses. Do you know how to get them to sell to you directly?
Old 07-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Marosi

Hi.
I live in Norway, but I managed to find the following website that also sells parts. Here's the link - hope you'll get your parts:
www.rc-expert.com/access.php?pid=39

Tove
Old 07-23-2004, 03:32 AM
rardenne2000

or http://www.flywithfly.com/products.asp?id=183

Ron
Old 08-05-2004, 09:45 AM
oliver16

i have an english copy of the instructions with my plane if any one wants a copy...i also work for a model shop who do the spares..[8D]

email me if you want [email protected]
Old 08-05-2004, 12:41 PM
rardenne2000

ORIGINAL: Marosi

Hi!
I also just got a c17-e. What I wonder is, whether or not I can use throttle on this model. Does anyone know??? I don't want to ruin the whole thing, using throttle if the engine is not meant for that....
Hi,

As I am one of the Atari generation I learned to control airplanes with one stick. So that is how I controled RC planes later on. When I attempted to get the C17E to work with my multiplex MM cockpit transmitter that allows for airelons and elevator on one stick I got the throttle control as well.

I took out the chinese receiver and put in my multiplex 5 ch receiver that works with my multiplex MM cockpit. This allows for throttle to be used. (ESC does not respond well to rudderstick mode on MM so configured that stick as normal servo. Now works nice.)

I also disconnected the servo for the rudder and put on that servo a wider rotation device (do not know name) and connected two leads to the airelons I have cut out on the lower front wing. I than connected a pushrod from the lower wing airelons to the upper wing airelons. Result: NOT GOOD! The four airelons cause to much draft resulting in too low airspeed and stall.

Went home after multiple crashes (only had to fix a litle crack in the lower front wing with some epoxy) and took out the pushrods and fixed the upper front wing airelons in place with some tape.

There has not been a day with low windspeeds yet. If it flies I will post a link to video and pics.

cheers

Ron