Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

GWS Slowstick HELP!

Old 06-14-2004, 05:34 PM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Slowstick HELP!

My dad and I went halves on a GWS slowstick for him today at the LHS. I built the plane for him and he is really impressed with it....

My Questions:
1.What flight pack with battery and every thing else<except transmitter> do I need for him? I have a Futaba 6EXA for myglow planes that I plan on allowing him to use for his stick.
2.He has no flying experience<evcept full scale> but he wants to maiden this plane...Do you think that I should stand by him and let him maiden or should I do It for him?

We have the 300c model so every thing needs to be compatible.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2004, 07:11 PM
darrell_f
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: GWS Slowstick HELP!

Since you have some experience and a good radio, I recommend that you get good equipment. I put Hitec servos and full-range reciever on mine. If you want Fataba, go with that. I also put a CC Pixie 20 ESC on it even though I started with NiMh. I have since bought Thunder Power 2S li-poly cells and the CC LVC is a big plus. If and when you get tired of the Slow Stick, you can use the items on another plane. Don't get the GWS brand reciever, ESC, or batteries. You will be disappointed.

Two suggestions:
-get the COG correct, even if the wing is farther back than the pictures show in the instructions. I've built two and both needed the wing back almost 7" from motor to get COG at 4 1/8". When you get it balanced correctly, screw things in place.
-mount the motor with 3 degrees down and right thrust. Seach and you'll find how to do it. Will fly much better with this modification.

Let him fly it! It's a Slow Stick---easy to fly and easy to repair.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:44 PM
ICE_MAN

Darrell
Thank you for all the information! Couple more questions...

Do you have links to all the Items posted?

what futaba equip. <reciever ect> should I use?

We're on a tight budget. Would It be ok to buy the GWS flight pack for now until he can save some money for Futaba equip.?

I set His wing at 5" back for now until we get the electronics.. But I wanted to know if 4 1/8 was a foward or rearward Cg?

Ummm.... I believe that's all the questions for now... THANKS!
Old 06-14-2004, 09:18 PM
darrell_f

Places that I shopped and found very good service:
Servocity: http://servocity.com/index.html
hitec 555 $55
hitec 55 $20

All E RC http://www.allerc.com/
GWS planes and accessories
Batteries
ESC
they have their own brand of inexpensive servos that I've used on an E-Starter without any problems

Bishop Power Products http://www.b-p-p.com/
motors
batteries
ESC

Others will probably disagree and I don't want to really knock any one brand too much in a forum, but I know that you would be much better satisified with with Castle ESC and Hitec receiver/servos. In total it may only cost you about $50 more, but it's worth it. Check the range on GWS receivers; on some, it's only 150 meters.

From the leading (forward) edge of the wing mark a line at 4 1/8" and that's where your Slow Stick (with battery)should balance.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:13 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my SS, I use:

Berg Stamp 4 Rx
Hitec 55's
GWS 300 ESC
650 mah NIMH batteries.

I am content with my set up. The Berg is a full range Rx and the GWS ESC seems to be doing a good job. The specs I read on the GWS Naro Rx suggests it has a range of 1000 feet. False advertising?

I'd suggest going with him to fly. While the SS can take some bumps, a nose in will break props and bend drive shafts. They are easy to replace, but why even go there if you don't have to?
Old 06-15-2004, 11:16 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Make a prop saver out of a 4 arm servo horn.
1. Cut off 2 arms directly across from each other, so that instead of a plus sign shape it is now straight.
2. Intall one of the nuts that came with the motor on to the prop shaft and screw it all the way down.
3. Install the servo horn with the "top" facing the front of the plane.
4. Install the flat washer and second nut and securely tighten them down. When I did mine this actually forced the servo horn down over the first nut.
5. Cut the prop shaft down so you have 1/8 -5/32" of shat sticking past the second nut. You do not want to have too much shaft left because then the prop won't be able to slide of the nut in case of impact.
6. Install the prop with the second nut in the hex reces on the back of the prop thub and use small ruber bands to fasten it to the prop saver by looping it from 1 servo arm across the prop hub and onto the second servo arm.
This lets the prop move out of the way and off the shaft in case of impact, saving the prop shaft and gearbox.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:55 PM
ICE_MAN

Thank you guys for all the help
hows this? Its called the P20P 1F from All E R/c, It includes:CASTLE CREATIONS P20P SPEED CONTROL

TWO MICRO9 SERVOS

GWS PICO R4P HP 4 CHANNEL RECEIVER FUTABA/HITEC (NEGATIVE SHIFT)

GWS XTAL CHANNEL ??

NiMH or NiCad BATTERY PACK OF YOUR CHOICE FROM PACKS IN STOCK 800 MAH AND BELOW (ANY NUMBER OF CELLS AND ANY CONFIGURATION)

I chose an 8.4 volt 650mah battery and its only 101.99$ for the whole thing!
Old 06-15-2004, 03:48 PM
darrell_f

Good people and good service at All E RC. Good choices on the ESC and battery. With that reciever, fly close. From their web site "4 Channel GWS Pico Receiver for Futaba/Hitec - Range: 150 meters/500 feet".
Hope you enjoy the Slow Stick. I built my mine with the intention of taking the components off for another plane, but I enjoy the Slow Stick so much that when the wing was finally unrepairable, I bought a new Slow Stick.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:47 PM
digsy

The specs I read on the GWS Naro Rx suggests it has a range of 1000 feet. False advertising?

My GWS Rx is sold with an advertised range of 500 feet (which is about 150 metres-ish I think)

Digsy
Old 06-16-2004, 11:54 AM
ICE_MAN

500 feet.... that dosnt seem like much.... Is it enough?
Old 06-16-2004, 12:30 PM
digsy

Well I'm a beginner so its seems like plenty! [X(]

I do plan on either fitting an after market antenna to extend the range (or just buying a better quality Rx)

Digsy