Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Slow Stick: Couple More Incessant Questions :)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Slow Stick: Couple More Incessant Questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 02:05 PM
destinyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick: Couple More Incessant Questions :)

Now that I've ordered my setup, I have some "future reference" questions I'm hoping to ask about the Slow Stick and about E-RC flight in general.

1. Can/Should I use this NI-CAD battery in my SS?
[link=http://www.gwsexpert.com/product_info.php?products_id=200]http://www.gwsexpert.com/product_info.php?products_id=200[/link]
Can I even use a battery with a voltage higher than 8.4? Could I use any flat, 9.6 volt for example?

2. Speed Controller
What does this do? I got one on order of course, but in general, can anyone tell me what it does? Some have breaks and some don't ... what does that mean? Can I use one with breaks (later if I get one) on the SS? Or is that for another kind of plane? Any info appreciated.

3. Battery Charger
I have two of the DC peak chargers from HobbyZone (that go up to 1.2 on the dial). Can I use these with my SS batteries? If not, what is a good DC PEAK FIELD CHARGER to buy that I could take in my car with me and charge on the go while I'm out flying?

Thanks guys! [8D]
Daphne (yeah, I'm a gal...the only one I know who's into this kind of thing, too, all my flying buds are guys!! Any other gals around this place?! [8D] )
Old 07-01-2004, 09:02 PM
destinyy

Default RE: Slow Stick: Couple More Incessant Questions :)

Okay... so I don't know what a speed controller does... hey, gotta start someplace, right? [8D]
Old 07-02-2004, 12:47 AM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: destinyy

Now that I've ordered my setup, I have some "future reference" questions I'm hoping to ask about the Slow Stick and about E-RC flight in general.

1. Can/Should I use this NI-CAD battery in my SS?
[link=http://www.gwsexpert.com/product_info.php?products_id=200]http://www.gwsexpert.com/product_info.php?products_id=200[/link]
Can I even use a battery with a voltage higher than 8.4? Could I use any flat, 9.6 volt for example?

2. Speed Controller
What does this do? I got one on order of course, but in general, can anyone tell me what it does? Some have breaks and some don't ... what does that mean? Can I use one with breaks (later if I get one) on the SS? Or is that for another kind of plane? Any info appreciated.

3. Battery Charger
I have two of the DC peak chargers from HobbyZone (that go up to 1.2 on the dial). Can I use these with my SS batteries? If not, what is a good DC PEAK FIELD CHARGER to buy that I could take in my car with me and charge on the go while I'm out flying?

Thanks guys! [8D]
Daphne (yeah, I'm a gal...the only one I know who's into this kind of thing, too, all my flying buds are guys!! Any other gals around this place?! [8D] )

OK ... you're not rid of me yet!

Let's see:

1.- What do you mean by a "flat" battery? Do you mean a LiPoly (lithium polymer)? Or do you mean a flat pack of cylindrical batteries? It makes some difference. You can use LiPolys, but it's important never to let them discharge to below 3 v. per cell. If you want to use them it's wise to get a speed controller that allows for programming the shutoff voltage, or to time your flights so that you won't drain the batteries past that point.

2.- A speed controller does a couple of things: It translates the throttle command from your transmitter to the motor in the plane. It also directs power to the receiver unit for the other equipment on the plane.

A brake slows or stops the prop to keep it from free-spinning in flight. You don't need this for a Slow Stick.

3.- Don't use the HobbyZone charger. If money is no object, go for a Great Planes Triton charger. I have a Hobbico Quick Field Charger but am beginning to wonder if it charges packs fully at times.

Hope this helps ....

.... even though I'm not a gal.

[&:]

BobbyG
Old 07-02-2004, 01:09 AM
destinyy

BobbyG you're my hero! lol

Thanks for those answers ...

1. I mean a flat pack of cylindrical batteries like the one in the link I posted (but it's Ni-Cd instead of Ni-Mh) Sorry, not a battery pro (yet!) I guess what I was wondering at the moment was really, can I use the battery I indicated in the link above (the 9.4v 1000MaH NI-CD)?

2. THANKS!!

3. The Triton is a little expensive. Since I'm a beginner. But lets say for the sake of argument that I go ahead and get it. What can I use with the banana clips to draw power from say, a car cigarette lighter? Are there adaptors for that? Or should I not be doing that? I'd like to be able to have a solution that's portable into the field.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:13 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can use a 9.6V pack. Nicad will work fine. They are heavier than the other kinds of batteries, but I think the SS will haul them okay. Something for future reference: the motor won't last as long as with lower voltage packs, but you'll get more out of the motor with the 9.6V. I fly with 8.4V and can't say I've ever been starved for power (well, me, maybe, but not the plane).

To charge my packs, I use the Great Planes AC Peak Charger which I am happy with. They have a version that plugs into the cigarette lighter of a car for about $20 which I've never used, but have heard is pretty good. If you needed to hook it up to a 12V battery, it shouldn't be too hard after a trip to Radio Shack and a date with a soldering iron.

Something else to think about as you are considering buying a charger. Now that I've invested in a nicad/nimh charger and some packs, it seems that different shaped packs fit better into different planes. Some like a stick, some like a flat pack, etc. Lithium Polymer batteries seem to come in fewer sizes and I imagine are easier to fit into more planes easily. So if you stick with the hobby, you will soon come to the realization that I am which is the decision to buy different shaped packs for different planes, or switch to Lipo batteries. If you start with a charger that does them all, you may end up saving money in the end.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:50 AM
Ashok_2429

HI, i am planning on buying these battery packs from

[link]http://www.overlander.co.uk/detail.asp?categoryid=55&offset=25&ID=348[/link]

i will be plying stock except for an ICS 300 rather than the ICS 100. Will the motor be ok on these batteries as i do not want to keep replacing the motor after a burn out.

Any help would be welcome.
Ashok

p.s are these 7,8 or 9 cell batteries.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:36 AM
destinyy

Very helpful ... thank you very much. OK. I like the Triton charger everyone's "ooo-ing and ahhh-ing" over, but it seems to need (in addition to the charger) for you to buy an external power supply for DC. That may well be nice and "professional" of them, but for someone like me, it starts sounding like a $200USD charger for a slow stick <ha!>

Hey.. wait a second... brain wave (no, it didn't hurt). [:-] Someone with hack-and-slash experience on wires: I have three HobbyZone DC "peak chargers" with the cigarette lighter adaptor (don't ask). If I were to snip the leads off the end of one of them and wire that into a new set of leads to plug it into the Triton so I could draw 12V cigarette lighter battery power for the T ... would that work?!

You guys rock, by the way. The best.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm certainly not ga-ga over the Triton. For $130, I figure they can provide a plug in adapter.

Happy flying.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:24 PM
RandyT

ORIGINAL: Ashok_2429

HI, i am planning on buying these battery packs from

[link]http://www.overlander.co.uk/detail.asp?categoryid=55&offset=25&ID=348[/link]

i will be plying stock except for an ICS 300 rather than the ICS 100. Will the motor be ok on these batteries as i do not want to keep replacing the motor after a burn out.

Any help would be welcome.
Ashok

p.s are these 7,8 or 9 cell batteries.
Those are the correct batteries, and it's a 7 cell battery, you want the stick pack, not the hump. 7x1.2v=8.4v. You might need to change the battery connector, I don't know what your ESC comes with if any.

destinyy: It's not recommended to run the charger off the cigarette lighter, since the amps needed might be greater then the lighter is rated for(for a Slow Stick battery this will not be a problem). If you looking to buy a Triton then I read where people are running them off of 10 amp converters, which aren't that expensive (I have a 35 amp one that I had purchased for use with something else). With the clips that come with the Triton you can run it directly off the car battery. With the Triton you also have to supply your own Banana Plugs for the output, along with the wire and the battery plug. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:57 PM
destinyy

What about this guy?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...spagename=WD1V[link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3159855867&category=34063&sspagename=WD1V]http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3159855867&category=34063&sspagename=WD1V[/link]
Old 07-03-2004, 12:41 AM
RandyT

What about this guy?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...spagename=WD1V[link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3159855867&category=34063&sspagename=WD1V]http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3159855867&category=34063&sspagename=WD1V[/link]
You have to decide what you want it to do. You notice that it states only 4.5 amps from a DC imput. If you get into other things, your charge times will be longer. Also, 1-8 cells, so your limited there. Right now for myself, 8 cells at 5 amps is fine for me, but if I decided to get into larger heli's then your talking about 10+ cells for NiMh's. The rule of thumb for larger batteries is 2C for NiMh's with a max of 5 amps(Some will say you can go 2C up to 6amps with 3300's) or 3C for NiCd's. The C stands for capacity for example a 2000mah battery NiMh can be charged at 4.0 amps or 2 x 2000mah, but usually on smaller batteries 1 amp so as not to damage the battery. For a 2000 mah NiCd battery you can charge it at 3C or 6.0 amps. Sorry if you know these things but I thought I would add this, and sorry if this seems long winded. Just wanted you to know just incase you get into something else, and this will save you from having to purchase another charger. Search some of the other forums such as RCGroups.com, etc and see what they all have to say. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:07 PM
destinyy

Thanks SO much. I went out this afternoon to my LHS and bought a Triton. Then I went to Radio Shack and got the 12V DC power convertor (what a monster, lol). Also got some wire and some banana and alligator clips And a 12V DC cigarette lighter adaptor with wire leads (for the 'on-the-road' solution!). Now I'll get all that set up so that when my equipment arrives, I'll be good to go!
Old 07-03-2004, 04:37 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks SO much. I went out this afternoon to my LHS and bought a Triton. Then I went to Radio Shack and got the 12V DC power convertor (what a monster, lol). Also got some wire and some banana and alligator clips And a 12V DC cigarette lighter adaptor with wire leads (for the 'on-the-road' solution!). Now I'll get all that set up so that when my equipment arrives, I'll be good to go!

Good job D. !!!

It sure doesn't take you long to make up your mind!

You're all set up now for some seriously fun flying!

Looking forward to news of a successful maiden flight!

Cheers!!!

BobbyG
Old 07-03-2004, 06:10 PM
destinyy

I hope so too! Can't wait to get the mail-order components so that I can try it out!

Cheers**
D.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:26 PM
RandyT

Gotta love a person who's obsessive/compulsive. Good choice, the charger will serve you well on multiply batteries. Remember to read the instructions well, and read the forums, because the instructions aren't the greatest. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:34 PM
destinyy

Obsessive/Compulsive? Hey, at least I asked questions around here first and spent a few days reading replies. A lot of folks new to the hobby might've marched into their LHS, said "what charger do I need?" and bought the first one they were told to. I wouldn't call what I did OC, I'd call it... research.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:44 PM
RandyT

Obsessive/Compulsive? Hey, at least I asked questions around here first and spent a few days reading replies. A lot of folks new to the hobby might've marched into their LHS, said "what charger do I need?" and bought the first one they were told to. I wouldn't call what I did OC, I'd call it... research.
It wasn't meant to be an insult, more of a compliment. You want something you go out and find out what's good and you go out and get it, along with all the things, even before you have you started your plane. Also in regards to the battery your looking for a 7 cell 2/3 A battery such as the battery that Ashkok_2429 was looking at. The place I like is www.cheapbatterypacks.com that battery you will want a 7 cell flat pack. From my research alot of people say the KAN 1050, but now GP and KAN both have 1100mahs, but more expensive. On a stock slow stick 7 cells is the max you want to go if you want you motor to last longer. 8 cells or 9.6v will give you more power but shorter lifespan. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:15 PM
destinyy

That is an amazing website, thank you! I ordered two of the KAN 1050 (7 cell packs) just like you said ... incidentally, in combination with your advice re: 8 or 9 volt packs and now after reading through the descriptions for battery types on the custom setups at cheapbatterypacks.com, I also I think I understand the idea behind the various voltages and battery packs sizes. It makes a lot more sense now, at least. I'll stick to 7 cells for my slow stick. Thanks so much!
Old 07-03-2004, 10:02 PM
RandyT

You're welcome