Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Firebird Outlaw for 13 year olds first plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Firebird Outlaw for 13 year olds first plane?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 09:22 PM
MT RC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird Outlaw for 13 year olds first plane?

Is the firebird outlaw a good plane for begginers?
Old 07-09-2004, 06:52 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Firebird Outlaw for 13 year olds first plane?

If you can afford the Firebird II, or better still, the Firebird Commander, you'll be much happier. There's only so much capability you can give, and still be able to sell the airplane for $50.

The Outlaw got a reasonably favorable review in FlyR/C magazine, but remember, an experienced pilot did the reviewing.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:31 AM
âûñøåå îäíî

if you are willing to pay more i would go for a soarstar, it is a little foam plane that fly's great, and is fixed with epoxy, and as a guy at my club said "I've never met a SoarStar that couldn't fly" which is true, i have more epoxy on mine then you will see on any other plane
Old 07-10-2004, 05:01 PM
bblaske
My Feedback: (2)

The advantage for the Firebird Commander is the "Smart TraK" system that helps stablize the plane for beginners. I've crashed mine several times and even flew into some electric wires and it's still going. Great plane for a beginner and later you switch over to the "expert" mode with the Smart Trak thing and you've graduated.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:21 AM
lift off

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Horrible plane, had three seen one, all of the are crap get a gws slowstick, spen the extra buck.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:29 PM
Olivia
Banned

The outlaw is a good first plane , I know , I have the red one . It may not be able to do tricks but it is a way good plane . I had a Firebird XL $125 and it waz not as good a flyer as the Outlaw . The Outlaw is easy to fly . The only thing though is it is hard to fly in 8 + MPH winds . I love this plane . I'm 15 and it waz my 2ed plane . My outlaw is about a year old and still looks new . Word of advice , if u get this plane buy a few props too if it is going to take ahard landing . If u need ask me something just PM me .
Old 07-12-2004, 12:29 AM
steedly

The owner of my LHS said that he does not recommend the Firebird Outlaw because some of its parts are brittle and the way Hobbyzone "fixes" them is they have you send in your broken plane and they ship you a new one (with the same cheap, brittle parts).

My first plane was a Firebird Commander - I had zero experience. I would highly recommend it (or the Aerobird Challenger, a small step up). I learned by crashing. I went through a couple of wings before I got proficient at it. But I was very pleased with its durability. I would have a very hard crash and with little-to-no adjustments I was flying again.

Just last week I "graduated" to the Parkzone Piper J-3 Cub. I had about a 30 second learning curve going from elevons to rudder and elevator. I was turning loops with the Cub on my second flight.

I've heard others with complaints about these planes (Firebird and Aerobird), but my experience was very enjoyable. As always, your mileage may vary.

No charge for my $0.02

-Adrian
Old 07-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

If you think about it, it's not unreasonable for Horizon to want the broken plane sent in. That's their only way of verifying that the plane was actually purchased and crashed, and the person isn't looking for a "freebie."
Old 07-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Ultimate3D

I would advise you to get a gws slowstick very docile airplane which would make it a very good trainer
Old 07-24-2004, 04:45 AM
Talley

Absolutely! I bought one for my 13 year old and myself to fly together. It is a very good beginner plane because it flies easily and slowly (if you keep the throttle down to half speed after you launch it and get some altitude), it is cheap to begin with ($50 bucks!), and replacement parts are cheap and easy to get at your hobby store. Also, it is pretty indestructible! I've crashed into a backstop and a tree, and of course the ground, and not had any major problems (I'm still on my original wing and tail).

Just follow the directions and fly when there is little or no wind, especially on your first flights. I fly in a schoolyard about the size of a soccer field. Use full throttle, get some altitude, then throttle back to half speed. Make turns by making little blips with the stick -- if you hold it over too long the model tends to turn sharply but make a diving turn, which is fun later but not when you are learning. Little blips on the directional stick, and maybe a little blip up on the throttle stick at the same time, result in gentle turns without loss of altitude.

Go ahead and buy extra props and landing gear. The landing gear comes off every time you hit the ground, but that is a good thing as it is really a shock absorber, and coming off lets it keep from breaking or bending. I did have to bend the tail feathers just a bit per the instructions to trim it a bit, but have not had to readjust anything now for many flights.

I highly recommend this plane to a newbie like me. I now get 5 minute flights. One more thing, if it starts to oscillate up and down REDUCE throttle as it is headed down and INCREASE it as it is headed up and that will even things out and get you back to steady level flight.