Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Reflections on a Great Planes BLT from a Slow Stick flyer.

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Reflections on a Great Planes BLT from a Slow Stick flyer.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reflections on a Great Planes BLT from a Slow Stick flyer.

Maidened my Great Planes BLT today. After flying the Slow Stick for many months, there was a moment of trepidation as I hand launched the BLT, not really knowing what she was going to do next.

All in all, it was a rather tame ride. Faster than a Slow Stick, not quite as manueverable, but all the fun. A larger vertical fin would have helped. Doesn't seem as predictable as the SS. I may have too much throw dialed in (a bit over the recommended throws) and the BLT just does some weird things once in a while. I'll work that out as I fly it more.

Some glitches in the building. The rudder horn didn't clear the fuse and had to notch out the fuselage. The vertical stab not aligned exactly right and needed quite a bit of trim to correct. Any first time builders should stay away from the recommended transparent Monocote as it is too thick and will easily warp your tail feathers. I glued the fin on aligning it with the top only to notice long after it was glued in that it was warped and not aligned at the bottom. Transparent Monocote worked well for the wing though.

Used a GWS 300 5.33:1 geared motor. Flew today with a 1047. Will try a 9070 next time out and a 1060 when I get it in the mail. And I don't know if this gearbox is quiet or the one on my Slow Stick is noisy, but could barely hear it in the air.

I do wonder how often Great Planes flew the BLT, though. On my second flight, on a low pass, I see my landing gear pointed towards the tail of the plane, off vertical by 20 degrees or so.

I thought I had bumped them off and felt stupid that I didn't see it, but upon landing, I see that the balsa that supports the gear got sliced by the wire when it was pushed back by the first landing. So, back home today, I moved the gear forward a bit, tilted it towards the nose a bit and added some hard wood supports.

The tiny wheels that come with the BLT are great for show or landing on hard or putting green surfaces. I thought I did well enlarging the gear by 33% but the BLT still nosed over in the grass. I attribute this to the heavier front end and hope that moving the gear will do the trick.

All in all, this is not an upgrade from a Slow Stick. I would recommend it to any SS flyer who wants to build a simple balsa plane that they know they will be able to handle once it's built.

I do not recommend it as a beginner plane for someone learning on their own, either. I know I would have crashed this BLT if this were the first plane and from what I've heard, they are not as crash worthy as the SS. And the additional hours put into the BLT make a crash harder to bear than on one you've spent just a few hours putting together.

And the cost? The SS is cheaper once you factor in the additional price of buying the kit, the covering, the motor, the gearbox and the prop. In fact, you could buy two Slow Sticks for the price of what you need to get the BLT off the ground.

If you are a beginner wanting to dabble in electrics, get a Slow Stick.

Anyways, thanks Matt for recommending a power upgrade.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:36 AM
aaronford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reflections on a Great Planes BLT from a Slow Stick flyer.

I will be flying the SlowStik this weekend, but I have to comment on the crashability of my first choice. I picked the RTFun T-hawk. It is a bit of a handful to fly, but it takes a sledgehammer to break it. I have crashed my T-hawk approx 25 times with relatively little to no damage. It took a full throttle vertical asphalt collision (not me) to do any aprreciable damage. I repaired it using the spares included with the plane. It was about $100 less than a SlowStik but sounds like the stik is a bit easier to fly. The pusher prop stays out of the way in accidents and the plane is very resilient. I think if the batteries were replaced with LI-Polys and the weight was readjusted to balance, it would be a world class trainer.